Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Petrol Lawnmower & cooking oil...

Options
  • 16-08-2016 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently I spent over 200e on a new qualcast self drive petrol lawnmower. (240 reduced from 295)
    I was waiting for my son to help me put it together but a neighbour who we have gotten on well with for 10+ years knocked in looking to 'put it together for me".
    I gave hm the boxed lawnmower- with petrol & instructions (the man is in his 50s, btw) and went out for the day as I had things to do.
    Came home and the lawnmowers 'pull trigger' on string was in the engine, never had been mounted to the handle.

He asked my son for cooking oil, and used it too- poured about 400ml into the oil hole). I just read on the accompanying literature voids my warranty. He still mowed most of his garden - it wasn't altruism to help me put the mower together at all, he is having a do tonight and wanted his lawn looking well.

It has put me in a bit of a situation with my neighbour- any ideas what to do?
    Can the mower be fixed, or should I ask him to cough up for it? He knows how much it cost as he gave me lift home with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

He put cooking oil in the engine? That sounds unbelievably silly. Did the engine not come prepared loaded with oil and so adding cooking oil may only have been topping oil level up. Did the lawn mower blow up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The lawnmower has 2 areas for liquids- petrol and oil. As the man has previously owned lawnmowers/ petrol strimmers I 'assumed' he would use the right oil. He put my Aldi cooking oil instead of the SAE 30 oil to the oil area. I only found out as I found the empty bottle of cooking oil.
    No, it says in big letters on the 3rd page of the manual "STOP! Do not start engine before putting in 500ml SAE 30 oil.

Just called into him there to point out his m'mistake', he saying its all he same, not to worry, we ill bring it back tommorrow. I pointed out the warranty was voided, he then called in and says he will tip it out. Hmm, I don't think salespeople are quit that stupid, and I really don't want to have to lie.
    No, it didn't blow up. but was making strange noises when I got home, the pull start was down in the engine so it wasn't working, still has most of his garden done with it, while mines about 2 inches long! Neither a borrower or a lender be, etc. Thanks
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4606046/Trail/searchtext%3EQUALCST+PETROL+SELF.htm is the machine
    P.s.- I have a chronic auto immune illness, and had been quite weak for the past few weeks, thence I could no manage my own lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Bad form on the neighbours behalf. If I was him I would be mortified and rectify the situation immediately as it was gross incompetence on his behalf. It sounds like your neighbour has no lawnmower of their own and needs one. Why not suggest to the neighbour that they buy your lawnmower off you as you have not used it and anyhow they seem to think there is little wrong with the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭xlogo

Give him the receipt and see how he gets on when HE brings it back for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mjp

If its Argos you bought it they're very good with their returns policy so just clean it out n put proper oil in it and tell them its faulty and they should give you a replacement one with no questions asked. They're not gonna turn it on in middle of shop and they have no clue of how fix any products like that compared to a hardware store or bike shop etc.
    Have returned numerous products there in the past with no questions asked.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    If its Argos you bought it they're very good with their returns policy so just clean it out n put proper oil in it and tell them its faulty and they should give you a replacement one with no questions asked. They're not gonna turn it on in middle of shop and they have no clue of how fix any products like that compared to a hardware store or bike shop etc.
    Have returned numerous products there in the past with no questions asked.

Sorry , but why should I lie? I don't know if they will check it. I'm terrified of bringing it back as it's had 2 types of abuse!

I'll let him bring it back with the receipt, (when i find it- i did buy with visa though, thats proof of purchase isn't it? And if he dose't manage to get a new one, he can buy it off me, as its grand! Good idea Thank you :) Although he is currently out of work....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Maybe he thought the proper grade oil was stored in an old aldi cooking oil bottle ?

When you say the pull start "is down in the engine " - do you mean the small handle at the end of the cord broke off and means there is no way of starting the mower without taking the top cord guard off ? or he just hasn't put it into the holder that is usually mounted high up in the mower handle ?

If the handle broke off then Argos might take it back. But if it had the wrong oil, it could have been hard to start, and hence the cord handle coming off ?

If he's forward enough to do all that, he's forward enough to go back to Argso along with you, and try and get a refund for you, or he can pay for the mower and keep it. Also Argos would be in no obligation to take anything back if he's put actual cooking oil in it.

Drive him and the mower back maybe ?

If it's not returned to Argos, the cooking oil can be drained and replaced with proper oil and the pull cord can be fixed, and the mower should(might) be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I take it you didnt have any SAE 30 oil, he then when into your kitchen cupboard and seen the Aldi cooking oil and though this will be grand, sorry just picturing the scene, what was he thinking or didnt care as long as he got his grass cut.

it is bizarre- I had the cooking oil (regular aldi oil I mean) in my kitchen, and he got my son to fetch it for him.
    I know the shop (not Aldi, another) are under absolutely to obligation to refund.
    The pull cord was never mounted onto the handle, so it wound up in the engine with the top it sticking out. God knows how he mowed as much as he did. He never took the instruction book out of its plastic.
    You are right - english is not is 1st language and he has a kind of 'barter culture' mentality. Generally a nice guy, but this time I'm annoyed.
    Glad to hear the pull cord can be fixed, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Unbelievable...Cooking oil..what a numpty no matter what tongue one speaks in....and he was 200ml short on cooking oil lol.....Ok, you fix pull cord flush out cooking oil for your chips later and top up with sae 30 at 0.6 lt....you can return it for a replacement but if its a case where they need to send it to their technicians its going to be a long road...

to add....feeling guilty about telling a few porkys I wouldnt worry to much...these machines are bought in their thousands by retailers for half nothing....

Im just going to give it back into him and he can pay me the money.

He was supposed to call in about it yesterday, he never did, so I didn't want to call into him. Was waiting for him. He just met my son there this morning and was laughing about it out the car at him. Smile will be on the other side of his face when i give him his new lawnmower this afternoon.

zef wrote: »
    Im just going to give it back into him and he can pay me the money.

He was supposed to call in about it yesterday, he never did, so I didn't want to call into him. Was waiting for him. He just met my son there this morning and was laughing about it out the car at him. Smile will be on the other side of his face when i give him his new lawnmower this afternoon.

Will he pay... Hmm

Gave him the receipt just now and the unit. He is going down to return the mower. Told him I wasn't going, tbh my autoimmune illness has flared and i'm covered in a bright red rash so I just don't have the energy to go carrying lawnmowers back to shopping centres.
    He is not a happy bunny. To make it worse, I actually paid 299 for the machine at time of purchase!!! It's currently down 70e.
    He's getting my son to help him carry it back. Told him I want a new machine or the cash.
    He is an honest guy, i'll give him that. I actually worked for him for a while.

Even on the box it has it red letters about the SME oil.:eek:

He said to my son "Your mum thinks I broke the lawnmower!" It's turning into a right bloody dramarama.

Good news, a store card to the original value of 299. I don't know what he said or did, but at least it's sorted, and I can go buy a new one.
    I was very surprised to get the original value back, I was expecting returns etc.
    Neighbour is pissed at me though!
    I'll be getting a taxi home with the new one, and will put it together myself.:p
    Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Good news, a store card to the original value of 299. I don't know what he said or did, but at least it's sorted, and I can go buy a new one.
    I was very surprised to get the original value back, I was expecting returns etc.
    Neighbour is pissed at me though!
    I'll be getting a taxi home with the new one, and will put it together myself.:p
    Thanks!

All's well that ends well. Well done.

It gets weird now.
    About 2 months ago he noticed my microwave out back broken, waiting to be skipped, and called to the door with a brand new one. Grand, nice gesture I thought.
    Just called there looking for it back. Glad I still had the box.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

zef wrote:
    He said to my son "Your mum thinks I broke the lawnmower!" It's turning into a right bloody dramarama.

zef wrote:
    It gets weird now. About 2 months ago he noticed my microwave out back broken, waiting to be skipped, and called to the door with a brand new one. Grand, nice gesture I thought. Just called there looking for it back. Glad I still had the box.

Are you a single woman, by any chance? He might have fancied his chances a bit and is now "withdrawing the offer" so to speak because you didn't capitulate about the mower

Haha, I get your point. God, this thread turned out to be more suitalble for After Hours. He's actually happily married.
    Culturally, i wouldn't be suitable marriage material anyway. (I talk back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes , please keep it going, does every one look happily married!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

What's going on here :D

I wish I could explain, but i'd be back chatting and giving out too much info. He is happily married, I'm happily single. My first meeting with him, 13 years ago, was hilarious. He knocked at the door looking to speak to 'the man of the house'. I told him my 12 year old was out, but he could talk to the 7 year old after his bath.

I wish I could explain, but i'd be back chatting and giving out too much info. He is happily married, I'm happily single. My first meeting with him, 13 years ago, was hilarious. He knocked at the door looking to speak to 'the man of the house'. I told him my 12 year old was out, but he could talk to the 7 year old after his bath.

Happily married!,what are these strange words?:pac: ..The only true happy couple was Jenifer and Johnathon Hart and the rest of us will just have to settle!

It all ends well so, happy days....nice guys dont laugh at your misfortune unless he had intended to replace from the start and a new micro was not but then took it back which is not so nice bordering strange! :rolleyes::pac:

Advertisement