Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry - Shops giving £1 for €1

Options
  • 16-08-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Just back from a shopping trip to Newry.
    In the Buttercrane center most of the shops were giving £1 for €1 exchange rate. Some were giving slightly less but if you asked them nicely why you shoud shop there rather than walk a few meters for a better xchange rate they would do 1 - 1 too.

Might be useful to anyone going up there.

Also I was talking to an Irish person in there who was at the outlet in Banbridge and they said its 1 - 1 there if you ask too. I wasny up that far myself though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

any shops in perticular?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Do you know if Argos is giving € for £?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

The other half went on a major shopping spree today. Id say we hit 75% of the shops in there and all did 1 - 1. Boots didnt, but when asked they did. Same with Clarks. I wasnt in Argos though. Give them a ring before you go up and see if they'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

That must only be in the last few days because when I was up there last week it was €1 = £88p which I thought was quite good at the time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Are supermarkets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Does anyone think it'll be for a few weeks ? Thinking of booking a night in belfast and making a start on the big red man if toys r us are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are supermarkets?

Profit margins are far too small for that yet.

When they were doing it last time, the rate was ~.95; its ~.86 now. Ditto Argos I'd guess

Its going to be clothes and random tat retailers primarily, which pretty much defines Buttercrane's non-anchor tenants. Food and electronics do not have hefty margins.

Sterling was falling heavily last few days. Seems to have slowed now though just looking at it.
    Was talking about it to a friend just there via whatsapp and she said she got 95P to €1 in Sainsburys today. So they arent doing 1 - 1

Worth ringing the shops you are interested to check before going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will be mainly mickey mouse shops offering it, the major chains won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

It will be mainly mickey mouse shops offering it, the major chains won't.

Nice one , my kids are big Disney fans ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

I was in Newry for a short time on Monday and some shops had exchange rate up. None showing pound = euro or even close to it. Will be in Newry and Banbridge tomorrow, will ask the question and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not seen that happening in Newry in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I was in Newry for a short time on Monday and some shops had exchange rate up. None showing pound = euro or even close to it. Will be in Newry and Banbridge tomorrow, will ask the question and see how I get on.

If you could report back it would be much appreciated.

brightkane wrote: »
    If you could report back it would be much appreciated.

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Sorry for being a half with but I presume you pay I Eur for the sterling equivalent which on some cases is 1 to 1 and in the others they calculate it for you? So you can pay in Euro?

Sorry I'm a Newry virgin.. It's a long way from home for me :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are supermarkets?

Yesterday Sainsburys Newry offered 82p (not 91p as another poster has said).
    When I was offered that- I simply paid with my credit card- which gave me an instant rate of just over 85p (and no cross border charge anymore).

Plenty of shops in the Quays offering 90p- however, none of the larger multiples. Best deals seem to be on shops (such as Next/Boots etc) who have operations on both sides of the border- which make comparing the various prices a lot easier (picked up some reasonable items for the kids in Next, that we had put off buying as Next is so bloody expensive- but the sterling prices on the labels bore no cognisance of the collapse in sterling).

Don't assume you're going to get ridiculous bargains- the prices are actually remarkably high up there- was going to book the car in for new tyres which it needs on the Dublin road- but honestly- I can get better prices down here- and as for groceries- the main reason for shopping there was variety/selection- or different special offers (Gillete extra sensitive shaving gel @ 1.99 in Sainsburys)- its by no means a compelling reason to go north.

Anyone travelling north- they're stopping the M50 toll tags on the M1 on the 31st of August- so keep change handy.

All-in-all, if you were up north for another reason (we were taking the kids to the Planetarium at Armagh)- no reason not to pop in for a few minutes- but I honestly couldn't suggest its a good idea to go up on spec expecting to get 'bargains'- any 'bargains' are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    Just back from a shopping trip to Newry.
    In the Buttercrane center most of the shops were giving £1 for €1 exchange rate. Some were giving slightly less but if you asked them nicely why you shoud shop there rather than walk a few meters for a better xchange rate they would do 1 - 1 too.

Might be useful to anyone going up there.

Also I was talking to an Irish person in there who was at the outlet in Banbridge and they said its 1 - 1 there if you ask too. I wasny up that far myself though.

"Also I was talking to an Irish person in there" FFS Everyone in Northern Ireland is Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Can someone please explain to me why this makes sense? Why would shops want to take even more hit on what is already a weak exchange rate for them? Surely the already-attractive rate is enough to bring the bargain hunters North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Not seen that happening in Newry in a long time

Haven't seen sterling fall to €1.16 in a long time either but it's a continuing trend.

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me why this makes sense? Why would shops want to take even more hit on what is already a weak exchange rate for them? Surely the already-attractive rate is enough to bring the bargain hunters North?

UK consumer spending is in a ditch so they need to generate sales somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yesterday Sainsburys Newry offered 82p (not 91p as another poster has said).
    When I was offered that- I simply paid with my credit card- which gave me an instant rate of just over 85p (and no cross border charge anymore).

Plenty of shops in the Quays offering 90p- however, none of the larger multiples. Best deals seem to be on shops (such as Next/Boots etc) who have operations on both sides of the border- which make comparing the various prices a lot easier (picked up some reasonable items for the kids in Next, that we had put off buying as Next is so bloody expensive- but the sterling prices on the labels bore no cognisance of the collapse in sterling).

Don't assume you're going to get ridiculous bargains- the prices are actually remarkably high up there- was going to book the car in for new tyres which it needs on the Dublin road- but honestly- I can get better prices down here- and as for groceries- the main reason for shopping there was variety/selection- or different special offers (Gillete extra sensitive shaving gel @ 1.99 in Sainsburys)- its by no means a compelling reason to go north.

Anyone travelling north- they're stopping the M50 toll tags on the M1 on the 31st of August- so keep change handy.

All-in-all, if you were up north for another reason (we were taking the kids to the Planetarium at Armagh)- no reason not to pop in for a few minutes- but I honestly couldn't suggest its a good idea to go up on spec expecting to get 'bargains'- any 'bargains' are few and far between.

Does that not only apply to certain brands of tag? I have an easypass tag and it isnt affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Little bit off the topic of the thread, but i wonder is Belfast doing the same, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

ImARebel wrote: »
    Sorry for being a half with but I presume you pay I Eur for the sterling equivalent which on some cases is 1 to 1 and in the others they calculate it for you? So you can pay in Euro?

Sorry I'm a Newry virgin.. It's a long way from home for me :-)

Said no girl there ever, sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Only for those using an eFlow tag, most are unaffected http://etoll.ie/news/important-announcement-fo/index.xml

Only for those using an eFlow tag, most are unaffected http://etoll.ie/news/important-announcement-fo/index.xml

Most tag vendors - I'd suspect that there could easily be as many or more eflow tags than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

mel123 wrote: »
    Little bit off the topic of the thread, but i wonder is Belfast doing the same, anyone know?

Up there at the weekend, never saw no heard of anything like this. Felt ripped off more than anything!

Was up there again this morning finishing off some work and popped into the quays for lunch.
    I asked in Sainsburys and they were doing 89p - €1
    The odd one is doing 1 - 1.

They said it was better yesterday as the pound had been falling for a while, but it has started to go the other direction a little so they are rowing back on the exchange rates.

Was good while it lasted. Still good rates though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

yqtwqxqm wrote: »

They said it was better yesterday as the pound had been falling for a while, but it has started to go the other direction a little so they are rowing back on the exchange rates.

Was good while it lasted. Still good rates though.

down to £1.15 today from £1.16 at close last night.

The downward trend will continue.

• Advertisement

Found no shops in Quays or Buttercrane offering pound for euro. Most offering 85p to €1.00. Picked up a few bargains in sports direct but other than that we bought very little.
    Also called up to the Outlet in Banbridge. Place is like a ghost town now. I'd say about 40% of the units are empty, there is now an omniplex taking up at least 6 stores. We browsed around a few shops and had a good look in Nike store and Next, no bargins to be had in fact the Nike store was more expensive for a pair of runners that I recently bought in the Nike store in Blanchardstown SC. It was a waste of a journey going to Banbridge, its dead.

It looks like Mc Donalds is building a new restaurant here so might encourage a few others to move in, it's badly needed!!!

Advertisement