Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry - Shops giving £1 for €1

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Try Sprucefield (both the old and new sections)- better range of shops- full sized Boots, M&S, Toys-r-us etc etc (Currys/PC World has closed though)

No great bargains- but if you have a list from here- with current prices- you can get some reasonable enough buys- even from the likes of M&S etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Was thinking of a trip to junction one outlet tomorrow Is it worth the drive?

Was thinking of a trip to junction one outlet tomorrow Is it worth the drive?

Depends really.........
    For a day out and a bit of craic- its fine.
    If you're expecting a bargain- don't- they're few and far between......

Note- make sure to top up your petrol or diesel before you go north- its about 15% more expensive up there (even after the sterling collapse).

Combine an outing into the trip- perhaps the Planetarium in Armagh- and you've got a reason to go North. It 100% definitely is not worth going just for the sake of shopping..........

If you've kids- the seal sanctuary at Portaferry has reopened?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

down to £1.15 today from £1.16 at close last night.

The downward trend will continue.

Note that this should read 1.15 euro and 1.16 euro to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

<snip>
    Note- make sure to top up your petrol or diesel before you go north- its about 15% more expensive up there (even after the sterling collapse).
    Depends on where you go. The last filling station at Applegreen, Castlebellingham charge 129.8c unleaded. I got petrol on Sunday in Texaco, Fiveways @1.07GBP = 123.5c. If around Portadown, Asda charge £105.7 per L petrol = 122.1c. Diesel is dearer up north than petrol though.

• Advertisement

Asda in Enniskillen offering 85.6 p today on euro notes.

I saw 85p in another shop.

Geuze wrote: »
    Asda in Enniskillen offering 85.6 p today on euro notes.

I saw 85p in another shop.

Pretty much identical to rates you'll get if you use your credit card- no great reason to use notes......

ECB official rate on Fri 19-Aug was 86.537 pence.

Visa rate on Sat 20-Aug was 85.99.

Banks charge typically 1.75%, so a CC rate would be 84.485 pence.

So Asda offering 85.6p is good, over a penny more than a typical bank CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 karenfennell

anyone know if shops are doing pound to euro at the moment?

anyone know if shops are doing pound to euro at the moment?

Not that I'm aware of- and I was there last week.
    Best bet is simply pay on your credit card- you get a 91p give or take rate.
    Some shops there are still down at 75-80p even the bigger shops are more 85p....... If you're getting a snack or anything- use your credit card.

I'm sure there will be shops offering parity in due course- they're just not doing it at the moment (by and large).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Very low now at 85£ = 100€

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Why not get an N26 debit card? They do not add the usual 3.5% currency fee, I use it all the time when buying in foreign currency, no extra currency cost.

Check it out!

N26.com

Use the code michaelm0597 referral code and get €50 bonus off for getting the card!

(OK, I admit it, I would get €50 as well, but that way we'll both be happy).

Stay safe & well

Advertisement