Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I call it a day?

Options
  • 16-08-2016 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Am seriously considering quitting the whole profession after yet another rejection today but want some unbiased and truthful opinions first.
    Background is 13 years qualified teaching every year - some years better than others. Lots of maternity / sick leave covers. Had my own hours but lost out to school being over quota twice and when the career guidance cuts came in.
    Am finding this year in particular very hard to get beyond the preliminary interview stage. Have been for coaching and have implemented their suggestions but with little success.
    I have done some extras outside of the day to day stuff. I joined my main subject association and have served on the local branch committee. I have had resources distributed by pdst. I have had articles relating to my subject matter published in newspapers / newspaper supplements
    I have helped coach football (albeit just this past year). I get involved in fundraisers and all that kind of stuff. I have corrected with the sec
    However I haven't really gotten involved in after school stuff like supervised study and extra classes after school (though have given up many a free class / lunch)
    I find it hard to mix and don't often go to staff outings at Xmas etc and I find it difficult to make small talk in the staffroom that doesn't revolve around my subject or general family/kids conversation.
    All in all I think my teaching is of a good standard - I am confident after many years of subbing that I could walk into any classroom and pick up the thread of any class. I have faith in my ability to prepare students for exams. I believe I deal with classroom discipline as competently as the next person. Any issues I've had with students have been experienced by colleagues as well.
    But I felt today that I'm competing against younger teachers who look better, are more confident in interview and perhaps have more up to date buzzwords being fresh out if college . They also don't have the ties I have - namely 3 children so have more time and energy to take on projects after school although I have stressed at interview that I am willing to work hard and put in the additional out of hours effort that may be needed to secure a post
    Am I fooling myself that after 13 years on the subbing network that I'm simply not up to par or I'd have a job by now. honest and brutal feedback welcome as I had said to myself I'd give it 10 years but that dragged on and now I'm facing 13 years qualified and no job to speak of. Is it time to quit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

My opinion is that it is absolutely scandalous that your chosen profession has paid you such scant dividends in terms of career progression, renumeration, stability, respect for your academic achievements, your diligent working life to date and most importantly as a person who deserves recognition and reward.

Please judge yourself as a victim of a particularly **** system and give yourself all credit due to a person who has strived and persevered in the realm of self serving morons who are content to sit by idly and see good people suffer indefinitely.

Sorry, on phone so can't type at length, hang on in there and remember if you have 99 interviews without success it won't matter if the 100th one is the one that starts your career.

PS I'm sure maturity and commonsense are invaluable assets in teaching, don't ever apologise for them, market them.

PPS All the teacher horror stories are of some 22 yr old kid with the empathy of a croissant and life experience of a hamster!!!!

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What are your previous references like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teacher13

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What are your previous references like?

To my face great. Last job was interviewed by deputy not the principal and he said I'd a fantastic cv got a glowing reference from previous principal and he couldn't understand why I hadn't full time work. Position was only a mat leave so hence no work there this year
    I know myself I'm really letting myself down at interview stage and I've lost that easy confidence I had 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe broaden the search and take the hit on travel costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What are your subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 teacher13

TheDriver wrote: »
    What are your subjects?

Pm sent
    Not the typical over subscribed English-history combo. There are jobs out there I'm just not getting them. Most are fixed term contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Don't be blaming yourself - it's the farce system we have here in Ireland of employing teachers. Plenty of good, experienced teachers who have great knowlege of their subjects are not getting jobs because in my opinion there is too much of who you know in the profession. I know that am very luck to secure a job in my subjects this year - I am out of college 13 years like yourself. Was in a permanent position for 11 years - was in wrong sife of the country for me and tried to look into redeployment but no luck so took plunge and took a RPT contract in school about 1 hr from my home place, Then found out that person being redeployed in my new school but this forced me to apply to schools nearer to me - ended up getting job half hour from me. Like you I was starting to doubt myself and compare myself to younger teachers but iI know from those 13 years I have not only developed as teacher bit as a person. Human interrelation or the way you handle students / student interaction is so important in teaching.
    Keep head up - I am positive there will be a genuine honest principal who will see you are an amazing teacher with valued teaching and life experience.

Advertisement