Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ould Pension

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Steve wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the state pension, which I won't even get cos I'm self employed now despite having worked every day for 30 odd years as PAYE.

Please note that with 30 years paying PRSI, it is extremely likely you will get a State Pension.

What makes you think otherwise?

I'm not sure, was reading an article on The Journal recently that said once you are out of PAYE over a year it compromises it big time. I haven't researched it so don't know the facts.

It's true that large gaps in your PRSI record don't help.

But you say that you paid PRSI for 30 consecutive years?

By the way, it's PRSI that matters for pensions, not tax.

My initial reason for posting asking how mush was a friend forced to retire at 65 and had to go on the dole for a year (ambulance driver) yet could not get the pension.

Yes, the Pension age was increased to 66, but many people still retire at 65.

Please note that these workers will likely transfer to JSB at 65, not the " dole" JSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Geuze wrote: »
    It's true that large gaps in your PRSI record don't help.

But you say that you paid PRSI for 30 consecutive years?

By the way, it's PRSI that matters for pensions, not tax.

Yes I'm paying PRSI for 30 years, mostly as paye but recently as self employed. Maybe I got the wrong info.

I probably need to see a tax accountant... great, more expense. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I know, all I do is give you oodles to read but maybe there is something relevant here Steve:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_entitlements_and_services_for_self-employed_people.html

I hope you don't have to pay to find out something so simple.

• Advertisement

The problem is making time to read it JB. Appreciate the info, really, thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The 'recently self employed' bit is now relevant as the 'stamp' you pay is sufficient to cover pension contributions. But even so, if you were paying the full contribution for 30 years you are well inside the pension requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

The problem is making time to read it JB. Appreciate the info, really, thanks a mill!

The department will tell you all about your PRSI contribution record if you ask them online - fill this form in and you'll get a letter back from them.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/RequestSIContributionRecord.aspx

Its true, once you start to make enquiries it is not as complicated as it looks.

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm also self employed and am entirely grateful to have access to a pension advisor, they literally are doing all the work for me in working out what I need to save to hit a certain level and dealing with all the tax stuff associated..........

I hope they have pointed you in the direction of an executive pension ?
    If not find another.

• Advertisement

What is the difference between an ordinary pension and an executive pension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

looksee wrote: »

An executive pension is geared towards company executives and owners. You pay in but the company, as an entity in it's own right, can pay in too on your behalf. The self employed person would need to be a limited company first though, as far as I recall, and many self employed are not.

looksee wrote: »

Pay in yourself get relief at the rate you pay tax, if you have an executive pension the company can contribute so you effectively get more money into the pension for less out of your pocket, essentially relief on USC & PRSI as well as the income tax.

Using crude figures, single person on €60k/annum (so paying 40% PAYE rate) who has directors pension and the company puts €10k into pension, if that was taken as salary the "executive" would have gotten €5k ish (a tad less) after tax.

Person on similar wages with normal pension puts €10k in they get €4k relief, so they doing without €6k into the pocket to get €10k into the pension.

Fairly decent tax efficiency in favour of ex pension, essentially costs you less out of the pocket as it's more tax efficient. Can also get much more money into them compared to a normal pension while availing of tax relief. To really load up a normal pension you need to be 40/50+ or you'll exhaust the TR limits.

You can be a director of an umbrella company and set up an executive pension so within reach of many self employed people, not all of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I didn't have enough PRSIs to qualify for a contributory pension (worked abroad for many years and never bothered about a pension) so I get the non contributory pension plus a living alone allowance plus some of the other benefit packages and get 231 euros per week. I'm 70 years old. In the winter this will increase allowing for winter allowances.

I own my own apartment so, apart from my management fees and electricity and an internet dongle at 25 euros per month (so I can travel and always have my connection) I really have no other main expenses apart from food which costs me less than 25 euros a week.

The free travel pass is excellent and saves me from having to have my own transport. 20 minutes into the city and I can shop or do whatever I want.

I'm wondering how you can live only on a govt. pension if you have to pay for....

House buildings insurance
    House contents insurance
    Home maintenance
    Car insurance / tax / petrol / licence / service / NCT (on one or two cars)
    Life insurance (for one or two people)
    Private medical insurance
    GP Fees / Hospital charges / other medical bills / prescriptions
    Electricity
    Gas
    Water
    Mobile phones plus Landline rental and charges (depending on bundle)
    TV licence and TV service provider (depending on bundle)
    Internet provider (depending on bundle)
    Groceries
    What else?

The prospect is depressing me already.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how you can live only on a govt. pension if you have to pay for....

House buildings insurance
    House contents insurance
    Home maintenance
    Car insurance / tax / petrol / licence / service / NCT (on one or two cars)
    Life insurance (for one or two people)
    Private medical insurance
    GP Fees / Hospital charges / other medical bills / prescriptions
    Electricity
    Gas
    Water
    Mobile phones plus Landline rental and charges (depending on bundle)
    TV licence and TV service provider (depending on bundle)
    Internet provider (depending on bundle)
    Groceries
    What else?

The prospect is depressing me already.

House buildings insurance Management fees for apartment (about 1,700 p.a.)
    House contents insurance Don't have.
    Home maintenance Management Fees
    Car insurance / tax / petrol / licence / service / NCT (on one or two cars) Don't have a car.
    Life insurance (for one or two people) Don't have
    Private medical insurance Don't have - Aged over 70 I rely on my medical card.
    GP Fees / Hospital charges / other medical bills / prescriptions Prescription fees 12.50 per month (5 items at 2.50)
    Electricity Yes, I have to pay my electric and get the winter allowance as well
    Gas Don't have gas
    Water Minimal charge as single person living alone.
    Mobile phones plus Landline rental and charges (depending on bundle) Mobile phone is pay as you go - most people phone me; I seldom make a call. I really have the phone just for emergencies (but haven't had one yet); no landline.
    TV licence and TV service provider (depending on bundle) Over 65s have free TV licence and I only watch Freeview - I wouldn't bother with any Sky type services.
    Internet provider (depending on bundle) 24.99 per month for Dongle which I can take anywhere and get my internet.
    Groceries Less than 25.00 per week
    What else?
    Eating out - Yes, I like to eat out once or twice a week costs about 30 euros

Isn't life great when you are retired and have all the freebies!!

Woah! you're cheap to keep! I'm seriously thinking of moving in with you! :D By the way, I don't think a pension would pay for your management fees and rent. Our mortgage is paid off thank goodness. Himself just would not do with Freeview, but we don't have Sky either, just something in between. Also we've never thought of giving up the landline mainly as we both find it hard to hear on mobile phones even turning up volume, we prefer discussion on the landline. We will have to seriously tighten our belts as I can see our lifestyle can't continue as it is.

Woah! you're cheap to keep! I'm seriously thinking of moving in with you! :D By the way, I don't think a pension would pay for your management fees and rent. Our mortgage is paid off thank goodness. Himself just would not do with Freeview, but we don't have Sky either, just something in between. Also we've never thought of giving up the landline mainly as we both find it hard to hear on mobile phones even turning up volume, we prefer discussion on the landline. We will have to seriously tighten our belts as I can see our lifestyle can't continue as it is.
    I don't pay rent, I own my apartment. So, basically, my expenses are as set out in my last post.

I actually spend more time on my computer than I do watching TV. I enjoy Judge Judy and a good cowboy film (preferable with Clint Eastwood). However, I must say that I don't log onto Boards.ie very much - I find it that interesting - there is much more to life than Boards!

Seriously thinking of moving to the Canaries to retire.

50-60k will get you a comfortable villa there with all in services for around 2k/yr.

Food and the cost of living is ridiculously cheap and the weather is guaranteed to be great.

50-60k will get you a comfortable villa there with all in services for around 2k/yr.

Food and the cost of living is ridiculously cheap and the weather is guaranteed to be great.

Ah but wouldn't you miss the...ah...um...well. Hm. Any space in your suitcase?

(Not true, I actually would miss quite a lot of things here :) )

• Advertisement

And health insurance? It would cost me a bomb so without my medical card, I can't go and live somewhere else; though I would like the South of France.

And health insurance? It would cost be a bomb so without my medical card, I can't go and live somewhere else; though I would like the South of France.

Never considered that tbh, are you not covered by E111?

Never considered that tbh, are you not covered by E111?

Not if a permanent resident, I think.

Not if a permanent resident, I think.

Granted. I know people that do it / have done it (as in retired there).

That said, it's probably comparable or less than what you pay for the same cover in Ireland.

What would we miss if we retired to the sun?

First thing would be friends and family of course, and after a year or two of lovely weather I bet I'd be panting for a bit of rain, your ould soft day would be just grand! :) I don't really want to have to break in a new circle of friends or learn a new language at this stage.

I know people here and in the USA who retired to the sun and all came back. They missed familiar faces but most of all they missed the seasons.

Absolutely! Sure we'd have nothing to talk about if it was sunny every day.

We'd have a ball complaining about the heat and the lack of rain for the garden though.

Ouch, my sunburn is terrible!

• Advertisement

We seem to have drifted well off topic here I have just realised. Can we keep this thread to even slightly Pension related discussion :) I think there was a 'medicines I remember' thread, so if I can find it - and if I don't forget what I am doing - I will transfer a few of these posts to that.

Edit - the old medicine posts were 4 years old or more, so I have started a new thread called 'good for what ails ye' here

Advertisement