Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear: Leathers or Textiles ?

• 16-08-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Which do you prefer and why?
    Got a fav brand or do you just buy any brand?
    New or second hand?

I've no prob with second hand..textile jacket n leather trousers are best...I like Dainese .. expensive feckers..especially in shop with big windows....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Prefer leathers to be honest, have both but the textile is more for cold weather riding. Alpinestars would be my preferred brand, damn expensive too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I ride expensive sports and SUV adventure bikes..i wouldnt be seen dead in cheap leathers and helmets, my gloves cost more than some bikes..i change my lid every time Rossi pulls at his crotch...i buy my gear from the most expensive shops so i can rub it in the face of other lesser biker types...

I'm the polar opposite of this guy...;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Alpinestars textiles with upgraded protection for me, new preferred unless it's something mad pricey in which case I'll keep a look out for used. Happy with the quality and price generally on their jackets and trousers. You can do well if you keep an eye on close-out sales. Not so keen on their gloves due to fit issues. Don't feel the need to go with full leathers but wouldn't want to wear someone elses crotch rot infested hide suit anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a nice RST Adventure textile suit. Plenty of vents for the hot weather, extra layer inside if needed for cold weather, plus a layer for wet weather. Does the job just grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

My RST adventure jacket is a fixture, works in all weathers. The pants are a bit bulky and sweaty though, but grand in the rain. If it'll be dry or I'm on the bike for the day I'll wear leather jeans, RST as well, forget the model.

It rains enough in .ie that textiles are the winner if you're riding year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have both but I prefer leathers, not that I think it makes me all kool n **** but its the leathers are alot more movable in. You have better range of motion and they are lighter and not as restricting. You can get cold in them in anything bar the summer but a light over layer sorts the wind and rain.....

Textiles do have there uses, especially for commuting or touring to keep you warm when you are tired etc.

Get a set of both over time, you dont have to buy the high end brand names. RST leathers are the same mm in thickness as alpinestars and Dainese have the same triple stitching and sure if the Dainese rip they are sent to RST to get repaired (was told by two different main shops)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I have Dainese textiles for about 7 years now and they are still in very good condition. They have never leaked and i have been out in all sorts of weather but they were dear at the time. My brother has RST and they are very good value but i found them to be not as comfortable. My mate has Alpinstars textiles that he is very happy with and i think i would look at getting similar again. I would prefer leathers but Irish weather can say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've been wearing leathers for the past two years but think I'll be changing back to textiles this winter again. The leathers have a tendency to fold or bunch up in the seat of the pants and create pressure points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm looking for leather pants at the moment. I have textile ones but don't like how warm they are and very loose when trying to grip the tank and moving your arse around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Leathers are better for a lot of things. If you fall off they're better, if they fit well they stay in position better and the wind feels like it it gives you less drag.
    But I still prefer textiles. Better for wet, better for very hot and leathers look a bit gay, specially full suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cienciano wrote: »
    leathers look cool, specially full suit.

Fixed that for you, must have been a spell check or something ;)

Cienciano wrote: »
    Leathers are better for a lot of things. If you fall off they're better, if they fit well they stay in position better and the wind feels like it it gives you less drag.
    But I still prefer textiles. Better for wet, better for very hot and leathers look a bit gay, specially full suit.

Love to see you say that to Michael Dunlop................:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have to agree, full leathers I absolutely hate unless on a track-day. Really no need for them on roads especially with that god awful speed hump on some of them and more colour's then a rubic's cube.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Have to agree, full leathers I absolutely hate unless on a track-day. Really no need for them on roads especially with that god awful speed hump on some of them and more colour's then a rubic's cube.

No problem with full leathers ,two or one piece (guilty and guilty:o) ..dont have textiles meself..just think theyre "sloppy"..give me a good fitting set of leathers any day....and my speed-hump ,,its as a result of scoliosis........:P

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Textiles are more comfortable, water resistant, maintenance free and warmer. On the road these benefits outweigh the extra abrasion resistance leathers offer. Being cold and wet is dangerous on a bike.

Advertisement