Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workout for a beginner

• 16-08-2016 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to get into shape for the last 2 years but never really stuck with it. I suppose my main issue is (a) I don't know what I'm doing (b) don't have the confidence/money for the gym.

My number one goal is to increase the size of my arms. I amn't particularly worried at this stage about other parts of my body nor how defined my arms become. I just want them bigger as at the moment I am very self conscious and don't wear t-shirts because of it. I have a set of resistance bands.

How many reps/sets should I be aiming to do? I have read three sets of ten reps. I can do that in 10-15 minutes. Is this enough to do every 2 days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

You need to read up and do some study on the fundamentals of building muscle and size in terms of diet and training.

Forget the resistance bands , building good sized arms requires a strong training program , good diet and a lot of dedication. You also need a full body workout plan not just working on your arms.

Your arms grow in relation to the rest of your body and a full workout program and that's what you want so that you will look in proportian , squats , deadlifts , rows are far more crucial and beneficial than dumb bell curls. Remember that the Bicep is also the smaller muscle in your arms , Triceps is what will give you the real size but large Biceps and Triceps need larger shoulders , which should sit on top a larger chest and solid core.

I'd advise reading up a lot of gaining muscle , diet, joining a gym and maybe even a personal trainer then decide if it's something you will have the commitment to pursue correctly. It does not happen overnight or without a solid work ethic and goal in mind.

But it can happen if you do those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

Agree with needing to do more research on the diet aspect of muscle gain. That is just as important as lifting. Now for lifting make sure you are working out your full body and not just arms. Remember to work all sides of your arms, back, and core to give your body a good support system (a week core could cause back problems and a strong back help keep a strong core). Depending on the amount of weight you are lifting, you should be able to do more than 30 reps total. I suggest starting light doing more reps (say for 1 minute) and then work your way up to heavier weight where you can just complete 10-20 reps for 3 sets. On 'off' day make sure they are active rest days..work with some body weight exercises where your arms and shoulders still get a good workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I've been trying to get into shape for the last 2 years but never really stuck with it. I suppose my main issue is (a) I don't know what I'm doing (b) don't have the confidence/money for the gym.

My number one goal is to increase the size of my arms. I amn't particularly worried at this stage about other parts of my body nor how defined my arms become. I just want them bigger as at the moment I am very self conscious and don't wear t-shirts because of it. I have a set of resistance bands.

How many reps/sets should I be aiming to do? I have read three sets of ten reps. I can do that in 10-15 minutes. Is this enough to do every 2 days?
    be more consistent, squat and deadlift, wear what ever the fu~k you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

If you don't have money for the gym and only care about your arms, buy one of those pull up bars that you hook around a doorway. Do wide grip pulls ups (back,biceps), chin ups (biceps) using that. Do press ups (chest, triceps) and tricep dips (triceps) using any step/bed.

Don't worry if you cant do these exercises in full from the start, there are alternatives to get you started i.e. negative reps. Any exercise you cant do - google "can't do x exercise", you will find ways of progressing to it.

Hopefully after doing that for a while you will see some confidence improvement and you can progress to more full body goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

If you don't have money for the gym and only care about your arms, buy one of those pull up bars that you hook around a doorway. Do wide grip pulls ups (back,biceps), chin ups (biceps) using that. Do press ups (chest, triceps) and tricep dips (triceps) using any step/bed.

Don't worry if you cant do these exercises in full from the start, there are alternatives to get you started i.e. negative reps. Any exercise you cant do - google "can't do x exercise", you will find ways of progressing to it.

Hopefully after doing that for a while you will see some confidence improvement and you can progress to more full body goals.
    ^^^ do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Transform wrote: »
    be more consistent, squat and deadlift, wear what ever the fu~k you want

Wow ground breaking stuff, turns out if you feel self-conscious you just have to say fcuk it and it magically goes away, quick alert the press Transform has fixed all body issues that affect teens.

Plus even if you have no equipment and no access to the gym you can squat and deadlift, just close your eyes and the equipment will magically appear.

Maybe someone should suggest snatches and muscle ups? And human flags, yup all beginners shud be doing these

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

JJayoo wrote: »
    Wow ground breaking stuff, turns out if you feel self-conscious you just have to say fcuk it and it magically goes away, quick alert the press Transform has fixed all body issues that affect teens.

Plus even if you have no equipment and no access to the gym you can squat and deadlift, just close your eyes and the equipment will magically appear.

Maybe someone should suggest snatches and muscle ups? And human flags, yup all beginners shud be doing these

Fuuk that, one handed muscle ups or youre a pusay!

Advertisement