Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio - BMX events - no spoiler tags required

Options
  • 16-08-2016 11:33pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Cycling moves off-road with BMX taking place over the next 3 days

Action commences with the Women's seeding run at 5.30pm our time tomorrow with the Men's seeding due to follow at 6;34

No Irish interest and no GBR representatives in the Women's events

Women's start list
    Men's start list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Beasty wrote: »
    Cycling moves off-road with BMX taking place over the next 3 days

Action commences with the Women's seeding run at 5.30pm our time tomorrow with the Men's seeding due to follow at 6;34

No Irish interest and no GBR representatives in the Women's events

Women's start list
    Men's start list

What hapened to the GB Girl who won it in London?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you thinking of Shenaze Reade? She actually lost out in London as a result of a fall. She was in the track squad for Beijing, and I've seen her hanging around Manchester Velodrome on a couple of occasions. Presume she simply did not qualify (no idea of the qualification process but there are a lot less women than men entered)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    What hapened to the GB Girl who won it in London?

Shaznee Read didn't win and has left the GB HP team since then to ride pro BMX in the USA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

She joined the track squad and was aiming for Rio in the team sprint this year. Tokyo was the long term goal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Did a controlled fire on the bmx track get out of hand due to winds and damage the course? Event at riskas a result!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Did a controlled fire on the bmx track get out of hand due to winds and damage the course? Event at riskas a result!

This Olympics is a bit embarrassing

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    This Olympics is a bit embarrassing

Unfortunately quite predictably so. Their failures have been many across numerous sports. Athens was a bit of a botch job, but I guess the standards set initially by Sydney, then the "efficiency" of Beijing and everything positive about London was always going to be difficult to follow. Brazil was thriving when they were awarded these games but has gone downhill fast over the past 4 years. They have put on a decent show in some areas, but i suspect will be remembered more for things that have gone wrong, sometimes in a quite spectacular fashion

At least the velodrome wasn't leaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I wonder will they be doing wheelies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

on now, RTE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't like the track they're using.

• Advertisement

Why?

I think it looks great.

Meh, call me old school but give me the traditional brown and dusty ones. It's too bright or something.

I quite like all the bright colours, bit cartoony maybe, but cheerful.
    The track seems to flow nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nope really can't get into bmx racing

Kids can though. I've got 3 that love it. Safe environment and fun racing really setting them up as future Olympians:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What was the point in them doing skill/style moves while going over the jumps. Is there points awarded for style(didn't get to watch much of it) or is looking gnarly more important than a gold medal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

What was the point in them doing skill/style moves while going over the jumps. Is there points awarded for style(didn't get to watch much of it) or is looking gnarly more important than a gold medal.

Is all about the look :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Any body watching the triathlon?

bazermc wrote: »
    Any body watching the triathlon?

Yes.
    Brownlees going well

Group of ten about a minute ahead.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes.
    Brownlees going well

Interesting that they aren't using full tri bikes for the cycle

Riding in a group makes full tri bikes impractical

BMX on BBC4 now.
    Mental racing.
    Hard crashes.
    Broken bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it just me, or is this a dangerous track. Crashes in nearly every heat, with one of the Dutch riders just having to carry the bike minus the front fork over the line.

I don't think it's the track.
    Evenly matched riders, important series of races, adrenaline, will to win all having an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

BMX is sooooo 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Riding in a group makes full tri bikes impractical
    They're not actually allowed full TT/Tri Bikes anyway.

As for the BMX - pity they couldn't have borrowed some of those inflatable barriers for that road race descent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Beeb commentators saying there was a strong wind, the cause of some of the crashes, where over or underjumps happened.

Hernandez in the ladies run 2 race has nothing on Froome running over the finish.

• Advertisement

Anybody watching the ladies triathlon.

I thought in a triathlon drafting wasn't allowed?

Advertisement