Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on children's clothes?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We spend approx €600/€700 per annum on our oldest daughters clothes. This includes shoes, coats & winter clothes. I buy I think good quality that can be passed down to our younger child. Usually buy in Next, M&S, TK Maxx & Clarks. I only buy clothes on sale or a deal but still spend a lot. I'm wondering is this the average amount most people spend? Seen on her.ie the average parent spends €340.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We spend approx €600/€700 per annum on our oldest daughters clothes. This includes shoes, coats & winter clothes. I buy I think good quality that can be passed down to our younger child. Usually buy in Next, M&S, TK Maxx & Clarks. I only buy clothes on sale or a deal but still spend a lot. I'm wondering is this the average amount most people spend? Seen on her.ie the average parent spends €340.

I have 4 small kids , I could spend 800 a year on shoes for them .
    I am lucky that my son (3) got alot of clothes passed down by a friend .
    The youngest is 2 and she is in clothes that both of her sisters wore (5 and 7)
    I get them really good winter coats but try to get them on sale .
    I suppose I would spend about 500 a year on clothes for them .
    I buy in sales ,new items on Adverts .
    I love Next ,Gymboree , Tesco, TK Maxx and find H&M great too .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I haven't a clue. I don't have anyone who passes clothes on. I love M&S and JoJoMaman. I've had clothes last years from there, and a few Next bits too. I find H&M doesn't wash well and sometimes looks a bit cheap. Shoes would always be top priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We buy a lot in the charity shops. They grow too fast to be buying new all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We buy mostly second hand and at 70% off or hand me downs now with the exception of shoes. 18 month old. I'm at 100e for shoes this year and I'd say 75e absolute max for clothes and probably less. His granny and grandma have bought him the odd full price outfit. My sister is an epic charity shopper and has gotten him beautiful stuff, some even still with tags on for like 50c. I got a massive bundle on adverts for 18-24 for 15e too. I spent more last year because he was outgrowing stuff faster.

Oh I did spend 15 on a wetsuit for him this year and will likely do the same next summer as they keep him so warm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm afraid to answer this. I know I spend too much. I do only ever buy in sales though. Have bought the odd thing from eBay too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not a clue.Way too much I'd say.No.1 is easy on shoes thankfully and only has had one new set this year although I think she"s due another pair now.Clothes I try to buy the good stuff-jojomaman, M&S etc on sale where possible, otherwise it's Tesco, Dunnes all the way.I do spend money on her coats.Her granny kits her out in Zara, she has a big Zara wardrobe.Thankfully no.2 is a girl too, so she's got 90% of no.1s clothes, and I top up with some new tops and vests and socks from Dunnes etc.Shes still only a tiny though, so everything is in multipacks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I buy in supermarkets - most of my son's clothes are from Morrisons, Sainsburys and Tesco. He grows too fast to spend more, I've recently had to buy lots of 6-9m clothes because his 3-6m things are all too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I spend too much :D I have two girls with completely different colourings one has lovely dark hair and the other is a curly red head with paler than pale skin so what suits one doesn't necessarily suit the other so although I hand down lots I buy too much too! I also have a lovely old lady shop in my town that sells amazing dresses.... Dolly & me and dresses no one else has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'd say I'd spend about €200 on clothes and €200 or so on shoes. I had some hand me downs but most of the stuff is new. Luckily, she often receives gifts of clothes so I tend to only buy the basics like leggings, trackie bottoms tshirts and stuff and the presents tend to be outfits. I spend a fortune on wool though to knit my own cardigans and jumpers (that doesn't count though, right?) I buy mostly from h&m, tesco, lidl and heatons. My girl has already destroyed manys an outfit with tomato stains so I try to avoid buying basics in the expensive shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Very little on clothes thank goodness. I have sources of hand-me-downs, and I have a sewing machine, so I repair, patch and remodel some bits.

Shoes though... they put a lot of wear on their shoes. They get a pair of new shoes each every 6 - 8 weeks. At around 40 - 50 euro a pair. It's a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

pwurple wrote: »
    Very little on clothes thank goodness. I have sources of hand-me-downs, and I have a sewing machine, so I repair, patch and remodel some bits.

Shoes though... they put a lot of wear on their shoes. They get a pair of new shoes each every 6 - 8 weeks. At around 40 - 50 euro a pair. It's a disaster.

Are you anywhere near kildare village? I'm getting wide fit clarks for my toddler there at around 30 which is saving a good bit on wide fit anywhere else (usually around 45)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

pwurple wrote: »

Question for those like myself buying good quality shoes for kids......do the kids just have one pair in their size at any given time? Or are you supplementing with a pair of runners or cheaper shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My older boy is 4.5. I haven't a clue what I spend annually really. Up to about a year ago, he generally had one pair of shoes at a time, and in summer id buy him something lighter, like doodles. I then started buying runners aswell, so he'd wear them some days. His shoes last longer, but are dearer. I'm conscious not to have him in runners all the time, though when he starts school in sept, he'll be wearing a track suit every day, so I'll get him a decent pair of clarks runners- I have been buying in lifestyle.
    I know the day I went shopping for his summer clothes this year, I spent about €90. I buy his socks and undies in M&S, because they're better quality and last better.
    As for his winter wardrobe, I haven't a clue how much I spend- I tend to accumulate it over a period of time, and I try to buy some stuff in sales. I LOVE when his aunts and uncles buy him clothes for Christmas! I also try to buy it good and big- his growth rate has slowed a small bit, so I get two seasons out of some things.
    I had another boy last year, so I don't mind spending a bit extra on decent stuff, as it can be used again. Most of the trousers from last winter got the bin though, because he wore the knees out of them.
    I'm hoping the start of wearing a school uniform in sept will cut down the clothes bill fairly dramatically now though.

On the subject of shoes and brands and quality, we've been going to a physio and orthotics for intoeing and I asked them what sort of runners I should be getting my son (up to now he's only ever had start rite). They said the more air/foam in the sole and the lighter the runner, the better. They said Nike are generally excellent. I happened to be in Kildare village the following week and got him nike trainers for €18. Bargain compared to start rite and geox.

yellow hen wrote: »
    On the subject of shoes and brands and quality, we've been going to a physio and orthotics for intoeing and I asked them what sort of runners I should be getting my son (up to now he's only ever had start rite). They said the more air/foam in the sole and the lighter the runner, the better. They said Nike are generally excellent. I happened to be in Kildare village the following week and got him nike trainers for €18. Bargain compared to start rite and geox.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. A lot of Nike trainers can be very flat (I do but them, but I wouldn't have him in them all the time). I'd be more inclined to go for something supportive over something light. Obviously if you're putting in an orthotic, you're adding your own support, but when you're not, I wouldn't have a child in something flat all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Most runners aren't leather either. I prefer leather outer and lined shoes so feet can breath. I've gotten away without having to buy runners at all, long may it last.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. A lot of Nike trainers can be very flat (I do but them, but I wouldn't have him in them all the time). I'd be more inclined to go for something supportive over something light. Obviously if you're putting in an orthotic, you're adding your own support, but when you're not, I wouldn't have a child in something flat all the time.

They recommended something with a good sole but light so air or foam filled. Nike tend to do a lot of trainers like that. I had just bought him geox for €65 and they're heavy and clumsy by comparison

yellow hen wrote: »
    They recommended something with a good sole but light so air or foam filled. Nike tend to do a lot of trainers like that. I had just bought him geox for €65 and they're heavy and clumsy by comparison

I'm not saying they were wrong, they obviously know your child's feet- I don't! Their advice might not necessarily suit every child though. I'm also a Physio, and as a profession, we wouldn't tend to be trained in recommending regular footwear (apart from actual special shoes, if you get me!). I would usually advise parents to go to a proper shoe shop that sells kids shoes for advice. If I was pushed and asked to recommend a brand of runner from a high street shop, it wouldn't necessarily be Nike.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I'm not saying they were wrong, they obviously know your child's feet- I don't! Their advice might not necessarily suit every child though. I'm also a Physio, and as a profession, we wouldn't tend to be trained in recommending regular footwear (apart from actual special shoes, if you get me!). I would usually advise parents to go to a proper shoe shop that sells kids shoes for advice. If I was pushed and asked to recommend a brand of runner from a high street shop, it wouldn't necessarily be Nike.

Completely understand. I hope I wasn't coming across as contradictory. Sorry for going off tack on this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I buy Geox for the 3 and 2 year old . They both have very wide feet and she is hyper mobile and needs the shoes to support her ankles ,we have found Geox runners and Start Rite shoes .
    My 5 and 7 year olds have school shoes,runners,wellies,sandals,boots and in some cases a 2nd pair of fancy shoes . I buy sandals on Next ,Shoes this year are Hush Puppies and Boots are Leilli Kelly's and not sure where the other boots are from .
    The 3 year old has his Geox and a cheap pair mostly to use on the scooter and wellies ,the 2 year old has her Geox,wellies and a pair of Mary Jane type cross .

• Advertisement

Personally as an adult with very narrow feet I live in my Nike runners as they just fit and I suffer less back pain .

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What age are you talking about here? I assume you are not including uniforms?

My children wear uniforms most of the time. Other than that I buy clothes from lots of different place., almost always in the sale. Some Dunnes/Penney/Name it/H&M/TK Maxx/Arnotts - various concession stores like Benetton.

I find Debenhams very expensive for the quality on offer. I have one boy, one girl so pass them on to friends when I am done with them. I never repair anything. If they are damaged I throw them out.

I guess clothes are my thing. I have no problem buying stuff in charity shops but never seem to spot nice kids stuff. I bought some pre worn clothes online in the past and have had some good and bad experiences. Some of the stuff is far too worn to be selling on IMO but I am very fussy.

Not sure how much I spend on each but definitely more than lots of people judging by this threa.

I wasn't including uniforms bit thinking about it I only spent 100 on uniforms this year so this time incl uniforms .
    I like to dress them in good clothes but to me clothes are functional and I have very little interest generally in clothes .
    I kind of like costs and shoes though there is a technical functional side to them which I like .

I thought of this thread today as I handed over €110 for baby clothes in next! I don't know what came over me. I never splash out like that on kids clothes (and I certainly don't spend it on myself!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was only thinking about this last night! When I had my little boy, I had a lot more disposable income and I spent a ridiculous amount of money on clothes from Pumpkin Patch and places like that. I kidded myself that because it was in the sale, I was saving money :o

When my little girl arrived, I realised I couldn't keep it up for 2 kids so I scaled it back. I spend around €200 every 6 months now for both kids but I'm lucky enough to get loads of lovely hand me downs for my little girl so don't have to buy much for her. Get loads of gifts of clothes at xmas and birthdays too. OH buys the shoes so they're not included in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Question for those like myself buying good quality shoes for kids......do the kids just have one pair in their size at any given time? Or are you supplementing with a pair of runners or cheaper shoes?

One pair of shoes for the smallie does us. And they have wellies.

Older girl does sports, so she needs runners too. So she has runners and shoes. She has a very narrow foot, D's... No runner I have found to ever fit her properly, so she takes them right off after the sport.

No sandals for either of them this year. Never got hot enough. If we're on a beach or in a garden, shoes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was just thinking I'll have to drop another €150 as all my girls clothes are too short (I'm calling the leggings 'cropped' for summer though!). Then I found a stash of long sleeve tops and tracksuit bottoms, a few jumpers and hats for winter. A few quid saved, happy days :)

Advertisement