Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Wifi Problems

• 17-08-2016 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

My laptop keeps having issues with my UPC Wifi, it connects to the Wifi but says that there is no internet access.

The Wifi works on my phone, my playstation and my housemates laptops so I'm fairly sure it's not the Wifi's fault.

The Wifi would work on my laptop for a minute but then it say's that there is no internet access. I would disconnect and reconnect from the Wifi and it would work again for a minute but then again it would say no internet access and stop working. Sometimes if I stayed connected to the Wifi while it says there is no internet access the Wifi will start working again for a little while.

This happened all last week and on Monday there was no issues, the laptop stayed connected to the internet all night, but last night it couldn't stay connected.

Does anyone have any advise? Is it a hardware or a software problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shishkebaby

1.Have you tried restarting your laptop

2.Have you tried updating your WiFi Drivers on your laptop ?

3.Can you ping your default gateway (the AP) when you see the error?

4.Does your AP use both 2.4ghz + 5ghz band if avail have you tried connecting to the 2.4ghz band

5.Is there any metal objects / appliances between you and your AP ? Microwaves , Dishwashers , Chicken-wire Solid Concrete ect

6.also your signal strength should be between -50dbm to -67dbm (Anything below -67 causes degradation) do you have the same problem if your standing right next to the AP ? you can use inSSIDer to check your Dbm

7.Are there any Channel Overlaps (inSSIDer can show you) , if so does switching the channel on the AP Help ?

Lots of questions :) start from the top down

One Side note , I dont know if your using a MS surface but if you are turn off Bluetooth reboot and try again , ignore this if your using a regular laptop

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried the laptop with any other wifi points to see how it is performing? Can you even try it with the hotspot on your phone?

Did you by any chance upgrade to windows 10 lately? I have found that with some laptop makes the windows 10 wifi driver does not work too well and downloading a driver (if available of course) from the laptop manufacturers website can sometimes improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

So I ran my laptop in safe mode and the Internet works, what can I do from here to fix it in normal mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Go to the manufacturer of your laptops support side and download the latest Wireless driver, or if you cant find that find out what model it is, so for example if its a Lenovo with an Intel wireless card, go to the Intel Site. Or if its a Dell chances are that the drivers are on Dell's support site

Advertisement