Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chrome asking for password for non-protected PDFs.

Options
  • 17-08-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've always used Chrome for Bank of Ireland's www.365online.com, including viewing statements. These statements are PDF files and are not and have never been password protected. However, in the last few days I get the message:
    "This document is password protected. Please enter a password".

I contacted BOI and they said it was my PC. As it turns out, it's actually Google Chrome, as I can access the statements via Internet Explorer without any such password request.

Is there some way I can turn this "feature" off?

Thanks,

William.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Clear your cache and cookies and hope for the best? That's always a good starting point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One difference could be that Chrome has a built-in PDF viewer, whereas Internet Explorer AFAIK doesn't, so when using IE you'll be opening them in an external viewer such as Adobe Acrobat or one of many 3rd party PDF viewers that are available and you've installed. Try disabling the internal Chrome PDF viewer by going to chrome://plugins and unchecking the box next to Enable PDF viewing, then this will force PDF's to be opened using the same external viewer as used from IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I just updated to Google Chrome Version 53.0.2785.89 m (64-bit) and its blazing quick.:D

Well done google.

Advertisement