Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon - Web Development Engineer

Options
  • 17-08-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has any experience in interviewing with them?

I was told it would be technical phone screening and test followed by 5-6 hours of onsite if successful.
    Trying to work out if I'd have enough time to prep for them and what kind of prep would be required.

Also curious what they're like to work for? If anyone has any experiences either positive or negative, would love to hear them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tiffbunny

Caution: Not my personal experiences, I merely watched from the sidelines as this all occurred.

Friend of mine in IT, specifically all things cloud. He did not apply, Amazon's recruiter contacted him as he was referred to them by a current Amazon techie. Not sure if that changes any of the process compared to direct applicants.

Anyway, Amazon asked him to do the first 1 hour phone screen, then told him they were skipping the next 2+ hours of phone interviews as it was clear he knew his stuff. Then they asked him to come in for 4 hours of interviews on site.

The interviews were four 1-hour interviews back to back with no break for the bathroom, and no one offered him so much as a cup of tea or glass of water through the entire experience. They also played 1980s-era interviewing power games with him, such as moving his chair to the corner of the room while he was standing outside, so when he came back into the room he had to move it back. Etc. (Really shocking behavior for a company who should know better, but then a few weeks after these interviews that scathing NYT article about Amazon came out, and it made a lot more sense given the higher level corporate environment.)

His experience was that the whole day was "grueling and just not pleasant,"and he ultimately turned down the job.

Afterwards he found out several people at his current company had left for Amazon then ultimately returned after a few years, and nearly everyone complained that Amazon promised a lot to get you in the door that they never delivered.

If you want to work for them for a few years purely for the money (they definitely pay well if you get all the promised bonuses in the first few years), then they're great.

If you want to work for them for a few years to get whatever knowledge you can out of them and then move on, they're great, and it'll look great on your CV.

If you want a career with them that lasts more than 3+ years, I'd recommend thinking really hard about it as their reputation in the (Dublin) IT industry as an employer is not great.

But again, that was one person's experience. Many people work for Amazon successfully, so just go into it with your eyes open and have a realistic discussion with yourself about what you want in a job/working environment versus what you actually need.

Best of luck either way!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have heard the interviews can be grueling - but not to that extent. However most of these companies don't make it easy on you. I do however know people who work there and love it - it's a great company. AMazon has a company of "Hire someone better than you" so they make you go through many interviews. Id say give it a go.

Advertisement