Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

When you think of a certain former Irish football official and a hotel room in Sardinia supposedly littered with cash, wouldn't it be the most supreme of ironies if John Delaney was to fall on his sword due to a ticket scandall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Andalucia wrote: »
    Brazil govt will request Irish govt to look into JD involvement

JD on the phone to Denis right now

#karma

JD will go unscathed because of his friendship with DOB. Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

He needs to learn to focus his camera. There are much clearer photos on the indo website. You can actually read them.

occassion getting the better of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Pat obviously don't consider himself a heavyweight in the IOC organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

When you think of a certain former Irish football official and a hotel room in Sardinia supposedly littered with cash, wouldn't it be the most supreme of ironies if John Delaney was to fall on his sword due to a ticket scandall?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :D

Allegedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Muahahaha wrote: »

I read that one of the OCI 3, Dermot Henehan, immediately fell ill when his passport was confiscated. Where have we heard that sceal before ;)

Not sure about the third guy, probably claimed he had a bout of the runs.

Turns out Henehan was the only one interviewed today and has been released. The Indo reported in print today that he was sick and not going to show up.

The 220 tickets found in an OCI bedroom were claimed to be for families, which is funny given a few athlethes families said they had to go on the black market to get tickets. And what were they doing with them on the final day? Unless all 220 were Closing Ceremony then they are in a spot of bother here. Theres a good chance they wanted to tout them but once Mallon was arrested that plan fell apart.

Hickey/Marcus Evans relationship going back to 2010, which coincidentally is when John Delaney first gave Evans a contract to sell corporate tickets and boxes in the south stand of Lansdowne. Its looking like it might have been John Delaney who introduced Hickey to Marcus Evans. Another connection here is that Roy Keane managed Evans club Ipswich Town from 2009-2011 though iirc he was still feuding with Delaney at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Redacted

Pat saying that the OCI lads were all in it together on the decisions. So he has thrown Delaney in there.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/you-can-use-them-all-rio-police-release-pat-hickeys-email-to-thg-owner-marcus-evans-34989742.html

Police are seeking to establish if the decision to grant the ticketing licence for Rio 2016 first to THG and secondly to PRO10 was mutual or made independently by Mr Hickey.

According to court records Mr Hickey, who temporarily stepped down as OCI president after his arrest last week, has claimed it was a collective decision.

"Pat Hickey says he wasn't alone when making a decision. He says he was in a group with these six people.
    "He mentioned the three people who come here today and he mentions three others. They were not in the country so police could not speak with them."

Warrants were also issued for the seizure of passports belonging to temporary OCI president Willie O'Brien, Vice President John Delaney who is also FAI CEO and Mr Hickey's Personal Assistant Linda O'Reilly.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Redacted
    Redacted

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Turns out Henehan was the only one interviewed today and has been released. The Indo reported in print today that he was sick and not going to show up.

The 220 tickets found in an OCI bedroom were claimed to be for families, which is funny given a few athlethes families said they had to go on the black market to get tickets. And what were they doing with them on the final day? Unless all 220 were Closing Ceremony then they are in a spot of bother here. Theres a good chance they wanted to tout them but once Mallon was arrested that plan fell apart.

Hickey/Marcus Evans relationship going back to 2010, which coincidentally is when John Delaney first gave Evans a contract to sell corporate tickets and boxes in the south stand of Lansdowne. Its looking like it might have been John Delaney who introduced Hickey to Marcus Evans. Another connection here is that Roy Keane managed Evans club Ipswich Town from 2009-2011 though iirc he was still feuding with Delaney at that stage.

please let it be true that Roy Keane is responsible for the demise of John Delaney. nice one Roy

Hickey talks about having his day in the sun in the emails- I doubt he thought it would be in the sunny environment of Bangu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So you don't like his salary? Take it up with the FAI. Better still, insist that his successor whenever he, or she, is appointed take a massive pay cut. That will really increase competition for the job.

As I understand it the €5m loan was accounted for without being itemised. So what's your problem? Do you think he should have KEPT moaning about the handball and demanding a replay? We all knew that was never going to happen. But football people do that sort of thing.

You know that when a referee makes a decision, he's not allowed change it on the field. Yet if a penalty, say, is conceded by a team it's not unknown for its captain to chase the referee into the corner flag, stick his irate face in the referee's, vein in his forehead throbbing with apoplexy as he demands that the referee change his decision, despite the fact that he, the captain, knows damn well the ref can't do that.

I could be talking about anyone. (I'm not; but I could be)

No questions at the FAI AGM for three years? Is that true? Bad form if so. I'll give you that.

What a crock of shyte.
    Why is this line always trotted out by those excusing the salaries of Irish executives be it public sector, private sector, charities, respresentative bodies and now sports organisations.

We have had some of the higest paid CEOs and yet we have some of biggest most inept self serving idiots in charge who have the ethics and morals of a crack whore desparate for a fix.

You are having a fooking laugh. :rolleyes:
    The head of the Spanish FA, the head of the Italian FA, the head of the German FA earn much less than Delaney.
    And they dont' head an FA whose domestic league is treated as a joke and utterly disgracefully by the FA or whose international team relies on the football organisations of other countries to train and develop future internationals.

Up till the arrival of the likes of Keane the world cup wasn't for players but the leeches to swan around.

I do find it funny how many people crawl out of the woodwork to excuse these people. Hell look at the bones on the this and other thread about hickey.
    There are always the lackies and lickspittles willing to bat for them. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

By Jaysus, isnt it gas how arrogance can turn to stupidity very quickly.

It now appears quite clearly that Pro 10 was purely a front for THG, or that Hickey was running his own show on the side with THG using his preferred allocation front.

He is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

STB. wrote: »

It now appears quite clearly that Pro 10 was purely a front for THG
    I think that was pretty clear from the start.

jmayo wrote: »
    What a crock of shyte.
    Why is this line always trotted out by those excusing the salaries of Irish executives be it public sector, private sector, charities, respresentative bodies and now sports organisations.

The head of the Spanish FA, the head of the Italian FA, the head of the German FA earn much less than Delaney.
    And they dont' head an FA whose domestic league is treated as a joke and utterly disgracefully by the FA or whose international team relies on the football organisations of other countries to train and develop future internationals.

Up till the arrival of the likes of Keane the world cup wasn't for players but the leeches to swan around.

I do find it funny how many people crawl out of the woodwork to excuse these people. Hell look at the bones on the this and other thread about hickey.
    There are always the lackies and lickspittles willing to bat for them. :rolleyes:

I'd thank this multiple times if I could.

I think that was pretty clear from the start.

I think I made my view on this very clear sometime back :)

Watch the OCI strategically move themselves as faraway as possible from their President fairly sharply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

I'm sure there's a very innocent explanation for all this. While we're thinking it up, please divert your attention to the manner of Pat Hickey's arrest and treatment in prison, head lice for example and other such stuff that floats through the likes of Ryan Turbridy's mind on the matter...

*whistles, 'Always look on the bright side of life, do do, do do do do do...'

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Half Man Half Biscuit

afatbollix wrote: »
    They worked out on an other forum that he had a fully refundable First class ticket each way. Costing £9K each way. I don't think he shoved the wife in the back!! So £20K just to fly him there and 3 rooms in a hotel over looking the beach.

Feck Id love that job....
    +

Fair play to you.You have noticed that there was three rooms. It is well known that PH is a "player". Take that as you want. Insomnia my arse. The wife was happy to go along for the ride,or not. Take that as you want.
    It's like a Jeffrey Archer book, hilarious.

how did Pro 10 get the contract and who signed off on it - given the football links of those behind Pro10, JD has his fingerprints all over this

someone has alluded to already, website is very amateur, plus contact details don't even give a landline number, twitter a/c is private, looks all above board

Pro10 Sports Management
    4 The Mall
    Main Street
    Lucan
    Co. Dublin
    Tel: +353 86 8115681
    Email: info@pro10.ie
    Web: www.pro10.ie

By Jaysus, isnt it gas how arrogance can turn to stupidity very quickly.

It now appears quite clearly that Pro 10 was purely a front for THG, or that Hickey was running his own show on the side with THG using his preferred allocation front.

He is finished.

THG could not operate in Brazil after the world cup so Pro 10 was a bit of a shell.
    I think I made my view on this very clear sometime back :)

Watch the OCI strategically move themselves as faraway as possible from their President fairly sharply.

This could get very interesting.
    The OCI can distance themselves from himm, but lets remember the bigger picture here.
    hickey isn't just OCI, he is IOC heirarchy, IOC inner circle.

He knows where a lot of skeltons are buried.
    It might be squeaky num time for more than OCI officals, Delaney, etc.

Then again if I was hickey I would forget I ever met Putin.
    Screwing him over tends to end badly.

• Advertisement

What a crock of shyte.

We have had some of the higest paid CEOs and yet we have some of biggest most inept self serving idiots in charge who have the ethics and morals of a crack whore desparate for a fix.

Epic rant!

He does make a point though. If somewhat obliquely.

It's up to people to actually do something when it's in their power to do it. There are sports organisations all over Ireland with volunteers running them. Time after time no one will stand up and take over, most of them would be glad to step aside and have a life, knowing there's some kind of succession. Plenty of people willing to have a pop from the sideline, but when the call goes out for volunteers to do some work or get involved, there's a deafening silence.

Wow, Olive Loughnanes tweets lead us to believe that this scam has potentially been going on for the last 4 Olympics. Maybe it was the norm and that's why no athletes raised concerns around ticketing previously.

I wonder how many changes have been in the OCI board over that time, especially with the main players being called out by the Brazilian police.

"There's no polonium in that tea is there Vlad?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Well I hope that the Irish authorities stonewall the f uck out of the Brazilian authorities when they come looking for 'evidence' of anyone involved in this unholy mess.

This is one of the most corrupt counties in the world. From the very top to the very bottom. The President went through impeachment hearings recently and there were dodgy goings on in a company called Petrobras to the value of 20 billion dollars and the President was one of the directors of that company at the time.

If you have money in Brazil you will literally get away with murder. The police force are corrupt as f uck as well. The Olympics cost, funnily enough, 20 billion to host. Can you imagine how much of that money went on bribes? Wait till that comes out in the wash.

Whats going on here is not just sinister but its a pimple on the arse of an elephant when it comes to the levels of corruption that goes on in this country. They also treat their sports stars like gods and if Romario shouts jump the chances are the authorities will say, how high and will probably try to placate Romario in some way which I think is very worrying.

I don't like any of whats going on here and I don't care who they lock up or how old they are, the treatment of fellow countrymen of mine is disgusting by the Brazilian authorities over a few hundred shagging Olympic tickets. And yea yea I now it's illegal in Brazil to tout tickets. It must be the only thing that's illegal in Brazil.

BTW some of the posts on here over the last few days are nothing sort of disgusting and I'm surprised that Boards didn't intervene(well I don't think they did but I'm not going back to look). They may regret that in the future if these lads walk free, which I dearly hope they do. If they have questions to answer then let them do that here, in Ireland.

Also for those of you espousing the great Brazilian legal system. After the second world war a lot of nazis made their way from Europe to South America, Brazil in particular because their legal system wouldn't extradite to Europe. There are probably one or two of them still there.

Ah yea Brazil, what a great little country it is.

THG could not operate in Brazil after the world cup so Pro 10 was a bit of a shell.

I know this and have posted extensively on that very point here, here and here last week
    This could get very interesting.
    The OCI can distance themselves from himm, but lets remember the bigger picture here.
    hickey isn't just OCI, he is IOC heirarchy, IOC inner circle.

He knows where a lot of skeltons are buried.
    It might be squeaky num time for more than OCI officals, Delaney, etc.

All of his emails are littered with "I" "I" "I" which may be vanity, but is the excuse that the OCI will use to remove themselves from this mess and pass himself off as a rogue operator. The truth is they were possibly complicit or a very badly run outfit, where noone knew what their president was up to.

glasso wrote: »
    "There's no polonium in that tea is there Vlad?"

I'd say at this stage looking at 7 years in hell as a 71 year old the auld cup of polonium would be looking tempting.

CFlat wrote: »
    Well I hope that the Irish authorities stonewall the f uck out of the Brazilian authorities when they come looking for 'evidence' of anyone involved in this unholy mess.

This is one of the most corrupt counties in the world. From the very top to the very bottom. The President went through impeachment hearings recently and there were dodgy goings on in a company called Petrobras to the value of 20 billion dollars and the President was one of the directors of that company at the time.

If you have money in Brazil you will literally get away with murder. The police force are corrupt as f uck as well. The Olympics cost, funnily enough, 20 billion to host. Can you imagine how much of that money went on bribes? Wait till that comes out in the wash.

Whats going on here is not just sinister but its a pimple on the arse of an elephant when it comes to the levels of corruption that goes on in this country. They also treat their sports stars like gods and if Romario shouts jump the chances are the authorities will say, how high and will probably try to placate Romario in some way which I think is very worrying.

I don't like any of whats going on here and I don't care who they lock up or how old they are, the treatment of fellow countrymen of mine is disgusting by the Brazilian authorities over a few hundred shagging Olympic tickets. And yea yea I now it's illegal in Brazil to tout tickets. It must be the only thing that's illegal in Brazil.

BTW some of the posts on here over the last few days are nothing sort of disgusting and I'm surprised that Boards didn't intervene(well I don't think they did but I'm not going back to look). They may regret that in the future if these lads walk free, which I dearly hope they do. If they have questions to answer then let them do that here, in Ireland.

Also for those of you espousing the great Brazilian legal system. After the second world war a lot of nazis made their way from Europe to South America, Brazil in particular because their legal system wouldn't extradite to Europe. There are probably one or two of them still there.

Deflection type number two, look over there standard methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

This post pretty much sums up why I hope he is convicted.

Innocent until proven guilty. But my god I hope they find proof.
    They may regret that in the future if these lads walk free
    Pathetic. Proof that this country is better off without them.

Well I hope that the Irish authorities stonewall the f uck out of the Brazilian authorities when they come looking for 'evidence' of anyone involved in this unholy mess.etc

I don't like any of whats going on here and I don't care who they lock up or how old they are, the treatment of fellow countrymen of mine is disgusting by the Brazilian authorities over a few hundred shagging Olympic tickets.

Like Hickey stonewalled the Irish Sports Minister ? Yeah, thats going to happen.

Your fellow countrymen ? He is no Irishman. He doesn't represent me. From those emails that were released he was abusing his position within the OCI and has made a complete mockery of this country "over a few hundred shagging Olympic tickets."

What was all that rant about posts here that you didnt like ? Report them if you think there was anything OTT. Hickey seems to have broken the law in Brazil and is being held in jail. Why should he be left to face these charges in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Half Man Half Biscuit

30-10-2013, 22:51 #26
    CFlat

Adverts | Friends

I'm thinking about donning a William Shatner mask and see what happens.
    CFlat is online now Report Post

You will find he was innocent...puhleeease!

Is that you Stephen? I was wondering what you were up to since you left THG in 2012. hope your Dad is enjoying his day in the sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

how did Pro 10 get the contract and who signed off on it - given the football links of those behind Pro10, JD has his fingerprints all over this

someone has alluded to already, website is very amateur, plus contact details don't even give a landline number, twitter a/c is private, looks all above board

Pro10 Sports Management
    4 The Mall
    Main Street
    Lucan
    Co. Dublin
    Tel: +353 86 8115681
    Email: info@pro10.ie
    Web: www.pro10.ie

Look back through this thread. The site has had most of its content removed. Internet archives show that there was much more on it, including a landline number for enquiries about Rio tickets. This is presumably the number that the journalists rang and found was being redirected to THG out of hours.

Is that you Stephen? I was wondering what you were up to since you left THG in 2012. hope your Dad is enjoying his day in the sun

Wow that's really original. Do you write some of Brendan O Carroll's jokes?

What did I say about lickspittles earlier.

I do like the old threat of legal action.

As Andrew Jennings succintly answered in the past "fook off".

Delighted for the snake. If it was Ireland he'd never get justice. Many athletes, families and ordinary Brazilians have lost out because of the greed of so few.

• Advertisement

Wow that's really original. Do you write some of Brendan O Carroll's jokes?

Do you think Pat and the rest of the IOC cared about the Brazilian justice system when they awarded Rio the games?

Or Azerbaijan, Russia or China in the last few years for that matter? None a beacon for human rights

Interesting eh:

“All the emails were sent to Patrick Hickey, copied to John Delaney and Willie O'Brien because they are the big guys in the council.

"And also, we want to send for the Minister of Ireland to check the information about his [alleged] involvement in this scandal.”

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/rio-police-want-to-interview-john-delaney-and-willie-obrien-they-are-the-big-guys-in-the-council-34990337.html

So good old john boy and a minister...

Angry bird wrote: »
    Deflection type number two, look over there standard methodology.

My point is that in a country that is rife with corruption, it will be difficult for anyone to get justice. Especially with the mission they appear to be on. It's nothing to do with deflection.

BTW despite the attempt by one tool here to imply that I have some connection with any of the accused, I have absolutely no dog in this fight, I am just appalled by the way they being treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

My point is that in a country that is rife with corruption, it will be difficult for anyone to get justice. Especially with the mission they appear to be on. It's nothing to do with deflection.

BTW despite the attempt by one tool here to imply that I have some connection with any of the accused, I have absolutely no dog in this fight, I am just appalled by the way they being treated.

Did all the students here in Dublin who lost their money to so called language schools get justice in good old holy Ireland?

So was the OCI by the looks of things. Get Justice ?

The charges are quite damning and so are those emails if they are "real". I notice they were in the "trash"

• Advertisement

There is undoubtedly a huge political will to nail someone to the post over this in Brazil for their own reasons. It's driving the whole thing so there won't be someone able to swoop in and make it go away. There is huge national and international interest also, the reputation of the IOC is at stake and Pat Hickey of course is a senior member. So far the investigation seems to have gone by the book and I think it's moved well past concern for reputations at this stage. I also think that it will go well beyond the alleged ticket scam. There are questions to be answered, and whether or not Brazil is corrupt, is far from the story anymore.

So was the OCI by the looks of things. Get Justice ?

The charges are quite damning and so are those emails if they are "real". I notice they were in the "trash"

I noticed that too. I'd love to know when they were deleted? And did the person who deleted them think that they were gone for good ;)

ahlookit wrote: »
    I noticed that too. I'd love to know when they were deleted? And did the person who deleted them think that they were gone for good ;)

For all the arrogance, encryption seemed to be an issue.

How did the police get into these phones/laptops ? They must have been wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Look through the companies mentioned in this thread and then check solocheck and you will that they were all amended very recently ie within the last week.

I may be looking in the wrong place on solocheck, but all I can see that indicates a change is the 'Updated: 17 hours ago' entry at the top of the listing? And that's the same on every company I've checked, so I think it's just a standard daily refresh of the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I am just appalled by the way they being treated.

Out of curiosity, how exactly do you think they're being treated, and how would you want them to be treated? Bearing in mind that they're suspects in a criminal investigation, and a flight risk.

Angry bird wrote: »
    There is undoubtedly a huge political will to nail someone to the post over this in Brazil for their own reasons. It's driving the whole thing so there won't be someone able to swoop in and make it go away. There is huge national and international interest also, the reputation of the IOC is at stake and Pat Hickey of course is a senior member. So far the investigation seems to have gone by the book and I think it's moved well past concern for reputations at this stage. I also think that it will go well beyond the alleged ticket scam. There are questions to be answered, and whether or not Brazil is corrupt, is far from the story anymore.
    I'm not sure anymore having just read the Ryan Lochte investigation by USA Today.

Well worth a read and a pretty thorough piece of journalism.

For all the arrogance, encryption seemed to be an issue.

How did the police get into these phones/laptops ? They must have been wide open.
    Would you say no if the cops ask you to enter your password? I'm not sure I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

With what's coming out now, hats off to the Brazilians.
    Maybe we could invite them here to show us how to effectively deal with suspected white-collar criminals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

If Brazil is rife with corruption, then Pat Hickey and co pretty much tried to steal from the Mafia . It was never going to end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    With what's coming out now, hats off to the Brazilians.
    Maybe we could invite them here to show us how to effectively deal with suspected white-collar criminals

I doubt they just swooped last week.

They may have had this kind of shenanigans in their sights for a while, and then knocked on the doors at the right time for maximum publicity.

They sure knocked them all out for now anyway.

Might make our own take note too. Which can't be bad either. But nothing will happen here like it has in Brazil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement