Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

irishgeo wrote: »
    And here we are saying that Brazilian system is corrupt.
    I never said Brazil was corrupt.
    Just back from couple of weeks there pre Olympics-talked to many people about their country and as many said there has been a huge change in society over the past 10 years -a large educated inquiring middle class has emerged, and they demand transparency. Brazil is probably to the forefront of many South American countries-there is corruption, but getting away with it is less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im not disagreeing with you jmayo, Im just making the point that tribunals in and of themselves are a good way to get to the bottom of public scandals and corruption. Im making the point that it is the political class who write legislation giving tribunals terms of reference,that dont allow for criminal proceedings to follow or if the Gardai dont take perjury seriously and prosecute it. This is where the problems of tribunals lie, not with the judges who run them. But if people allow our TDs to get away with this (and they have, especially in FF/FG) then the same mistakes will keep getting repeated ad nauseum.

So IMO it is not the tribunal that people should be against, it is the way the TDs rig the tribunal to ensure people who fund their parties never truly face justice for white collar corruption and bribery.
    They're not really. They are virtually guaranteed to both protect the guilty and punish the innocent. Remember the beef tribunal? Who went to jail as a result?

The only way to punish the guilty is by proper investigation by the gardai. A tribunal may get to the truth, but a truth that's circumscribed by safeguards to encourage people to testify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    I never said Brazil was corrupt.
    Just back from couple of weeks there pre Olympics-talked to many people about their country and as many said there has been a huge change in society over the past 10 years -a large educated inquiring middle class has emerged, and they demand transparency. Brazil is probably to the forefront of many South American countries-there is corruption, but getting away with it is less likely.

From what I have read the 2014 Petrobas scandal in Brazil was a bit of a turning point when it comes to prosecuting white collar corruption. In that scandal the State owned oil company Petrobas was running a scheme where they would overbill companies for state contracts in return for kickbacks. The scheme was running for over 10 years with former Presidents Lula and Dilma implicated in being involved as well as a host of other politicians, public servants and business owners. It is estimated that $8bn was corruptly stolen in backhanders and bribes.

As you say Brazil has a rising middle class and they went mad at this. There was large scale public protests and hundreds of arrests by the police is what was called Operation Car Wash.

So while it is true to say that Brazil is a corrupt country it is also important to note that things are changing and now (unlike Ireland) they are throwing politicians, public sevants and business people in jail for their corruption.

This is very relevant in the case of Pat Hickey because what has gone on in Brazil from the time the Rio Olympics were actually awarded in 2006 to today in 2016 is that there has been a sea change in how the public tolerates corruption. Back in 2006 when Pat voted for Rio getting the Olympics Brazil was a very corrupt country. But in the intervening 10 years there has been a huge scandal involving $8 billion of public money going missing which resulted in public outrage and citizens demanding a more fair society which preceeded a huge clampdown by police.

The political sands shifted and Hickey either didnt realise or didnt pay heed. Now it is he who is in quicksand and sinking quickly because of Brazils new found intolerance for corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Man is not guilty til otherwise proven. However man of coin is guilty til coin is placrucial in the hand of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Man is not guilty til otherwise proven. However man of coin is guilty til coin is placrucial in the hand of mine.

I'd imagine its a predictive text problem you are experiencing.

ahlookit wrote: »
    Judge appointed to government commission - also looking back at Rio and Sochi, both handled by THG as was pointed out earlier.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/government-inquiry-will-look-at-handling-of-tickets-for-sochi-and-london-olympics-as-well-as-rio-34992671.html

Great Judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats he known for Conor?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats he known for Conor?

Criminal law.

Very few appeals from a Carroll Moran decision. He was pretty exact in keeping notes, directions to the jury etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

I was watching the home coming for silver medal winner annalise murphy, such a shame these scumbags have overshadowed the competitors performance.

• Advertisement

It's quite possible Hickey will remain in Rio, by whatever means until this Irish enquiry is completed, which is 3 months.

While the "Minister for Ireland" might be concerned for Hickeys well being, there's very little information he can provide to Rio until the enquiry is complete.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/were-certainly-concerned-there-are-irish-citizens-in-brazil-in-this-sort-of-situation-shane-ross-on-the-treatment-of-pat-hickey-by-brazilian-authorities-34993010.html

kerryguy78 wrote: »
    I was watching the home coming for silver medal winner annalise murphy, such a shame these scumbags have overshadowed the competitors performance.

It shouldn't but thats the media for you. They hop all over scandal like vultures because human nature dictates that people prefer scandal and gossip to positive stories like Annalise. Not to say that success doesn't interest them and we as a nation are proud of the o'donovans and annalise but we live in a tabloid driven world. As a result the boxers are been scrutinised for their tweeting while we conveniently forget all the medals they have collected for us over the last 8 years

Those clowns in the oci are suits at the end of the day and suits are generally given free reign. As the universal rule goes, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. But now theyve been caught. its great that they are being dragged over the coals.

They haven't. At least not in my mind. I listened to Oliver Dingley on Off the ball tonight and I was delighted to hear such a confident guy, so enthusiastic to be representing Ireland and expressing his hope that his example might attract some new kids to his sport in Ireland.

That's the point of the Olympics and in four years time we'll be still talking about Annalise Murphy and will have forgotten all this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

She even said it herself in the press conference, it put a slight damper on her achievement

She even said it herself in the press conference, it put a slight damper on her achievement

She hasn't stopped smiling since she claimed silver. While she is probably that small bit irked that the scandal is overshadowing her achievement ever so slightly, at the same time her own feeling of achievement and positivity isnt deflated in the slightest and why should it be

She didn't say that. She just said it was unexpected and she didn't want it to be affecting the athletes. She said the press should be focusing on the athletes' achievements rather than the negative stuff:

“I do think that it is important for the Irish media to celebrate all of the Irish results because we had brilliant results in every sport, and that should be the top of the headlines rather than the negative side of it,”

And she's dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

She didn't say that. She just said it was unexpected and she didn't want it to be affecting the athletes. She said the press should be focusing on the athletes' achievements rather than the negative stuff:

“I do think that it is important for the Irish media to celebrate all of the Irish results because we had brilliant results in every sport, and that should be the top of the headlines rather than the negative side of it,”

And she's dead right.

Unfortunately there is a negative side to it and its not her fault nor the medias.

It should quieten down after the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Some brilliant writing here, just spent the last few hours reading through this thread and find the whole thing somewhat depressing.
    We are a great country run by sheisters and cosy cartels, surely there must be some sensible people out there that could politically shake the place up.
    To hell with Hickey, Delaney, Gibney, O'Rourke, Lowry, Ahern, Cowan, Goodman, O'Brien, Drum, and all the rest of these Gombeen gangsters in their Golden Circle laughing at the rest of us.
    We should ostracise them and make our feelings known anytime they appear in public.

patmac wrote: »
    Some brilliant writing here, just spent the last few hours reading through this thread and find the whole thing somewhat depressing.
    We are a great country run by sheisters and cosy cartels, surely there must be some sensible people out there that could politically shake the place up.
    To he'll with Hickey, Delaney, Gibney, O'Rourke, Lowry, Ahern, Cowan, Goodman, O'Brien, Drum, and all the rest of these Gombeen gangsters in their Golden Circle laughing at the rest of us.
    We should ostracise them and make our feelings known anytime they appear in public.

Sadly it never will. Voters will always vote for gangsters and gangsters will give jobs and contracts to other gangsters. its like trying to fight a rampant cancer at this stage. Unless we change our voting habits, nothing will change and we wont lets be honest. When Lowry quits politics his son will probably get his seat if he wants it for example. Same in Kerry re Healy Raes, same in Mayo re Enda Kenny, same everywhere. And even good people who go in well intentioned become corrupted over time because they will have ample opportunity and the right people around them. its like leaving a child in charge of the biscuit tin.

There is corruption and all over the world in every organisation so as Gerry Kiernan rightly pointed out, why would you get embarrassed about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the news today there was a Brazilian policeman being interviewed and he was speaking about Pat Hickey's emails and he said John Delaney was copied in on a lot of the incriminating ones.

I haven't heard it really reported anywhere since though, anyone hear it again over the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

And she's dead right.

I felt rather sorry for her as she said it. She seemed to be almost pleading for the press to pay more attention to the results of the Olympics. Must be galling for her to see Hickey headlines plastered all over the papers at a time when her brilliant achievement and those of the others should have been front page news. The timing of Hickey's arrest was unfortunate for her, coming as it did the morning after her great win. Gas to think, though, that PH's last official photograph was with Annalise, sporting her new Silver Medal, and the 'Minister for Ireland' :D

Her homecoming is taking place tomorrow evening in Dun Laoghaire, starting at 6.00p.m. I'd say it will be magnificent - flotillas sailing into the harbour and celebrations in the Peoples' Park. Am so thrilled for her that this day has come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

It shouldn't but thats the media for you. They hop all over scandal like vultures because human nature dictates that people prefer scandal and gossip to positive stories like Annalise. Not to say that success doesn't interest them and we as a nation are proud of the o'donovans and annalise but we live in a tabloid driven world. As a result the boxers are been scrutinised for their tweeting while we conveniently forget all the medals they have collected for us over the last 8 years

Those clowns in the oci are suits at the end of the day and suits are generally given free reign. As the universal rule goes, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. But now theyve been caught. its great that they are being dragged over the coals.

Was watching UTV News at Ten tonight when they were showing the returning athletes at the airport. Could not believe my eyes when I saw O'Brien from the OCI passing along the line, shaking hands with the boxing guys. You could see that it was the last thing the guys wanted to do. As he was getting closer to Paddy Barnes, Barnes seemed to be studiously looking in the other direction. I was waiting to see if he would shake O'Brien's hand, but, shucks, they cut it as he got to the lad before Barnes.

As Mick Clifford might say, you would have to admire O'Brien for his chutzpah!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

On the news today there was a Brazilian policeman being interviewed and he was speaking about Pat Hickey's emails and he said John Delaney was copied in on a lot of the incriminating ones.

I haven't heard it really reported anywhere since though, anyone hear it again over the day?
    After the press conference conducted in Portuguese, the police spoke to reporters in English and were asked why they had been authorised to seize the passport of OCI vice president and chief executive of the FAI, John Delaney.

“We wanted to know about his involvement in this case but he didn't come to Brazil.

“All the emails were sent to Patrick Hickey, copied to John Delaney and [acting OCI president] Willie O'Brien because they are the big guys in the council.
    “Patrick Hickey said in the police station that all the decisions were made by the executive council and these guys are the big guys in the OCI.

“We want to know if he was participating in this case or not. We have to listen to [Kevin] Kilty and [Stephen] Martin on Thursday.

"And also, we want to send for the Minister of Ireland to check the information about his [alleged] involvement in this scandal.”

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/brazilian-police-want-to-talk-to-john-delaney-willie-obrien/92619

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Criminal law.

Very few appeals from a Carroll Moran decision. He was pretty exact in keeping notes, directions to the jury etc.

Well it's good to know that we have competent judge who can carry out the basic functions of the role that he's being well paid for as he leads up this utterly futile, pointless and irrelevant enquiry.

Honestly, we're like a jealous child who craves attention so much so that anytime anyone else does something to garner attention we run up and do it too. It's pathetic.

Why is anyone giving this enquiry air time ? It's all so completley pointless. Not to mention expensive and we'll have nothing to show for it in the end. The Brazillian legal system is the only show in town right now. Had it been left to us we'd all still be tut tutting and muttering about how awful it is that these people always get away with their dodgy dealings. Nothing, and I mean nothing would have been investigated. Judging by his arrogant lack of response to Shane Ross, Pat Hickey thought the same. But the Brazillians have done what any competent and effective system would do, they have launched an investigation and ensured that those in the spotlight can't walk way from their responsibilities. Even then we have people here tut tutting about how terrible it is that they've locked Pat up. Get over it lads. What your witnessing is how allegations of wrong doing are dealt with in the real world and if we're not embarrassed about being at the heart of this scandal we should certainly be embarrassed by the fact that our incompetence and ineffectiveness is being shown up by the Brazillians of all people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anything incriminating about Delaney will be kept out of the media outlets controlled by the man who pays the wages of the national football team manager, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

So according to the Indo Hickey's wife has returned home. On a first class flight no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Shop40 wrote: »
    So according to the Indo Hickey's wife has returned home. On a first class flight no doubt.

Well you can't expect her to sit with the peasants in cattle class after the ordeal she has been through...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have little doubt the ticket was already paid for and the flexibility afforded in that class, in hindsight, was perhaps not that bad a thing!

Swanner wrote: »
    Well it's good to know that we have competent judge who can carry out the basic functions of the role that he's being well paid for as he leads up this utterly futile, pointless and irrelevant enquiry.

Honestly, we're like a jealous child who craves attention so much so that anytime anyone else does something to garner attention we run up and do it too. It's pathetic.

I kinda agree that an Inquiry is a bit pointless. I almost feel a bit sorry for Carroll Moran. I think the toothlessness of it all will frustrate him and much and all as he may be a brilliant Judge, ultimately he can only work within the terms of reference which will only permit for some bland report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Pats lawyer quoted in the indo. He's being fierce co-operative altogether according to her.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/he-told-her-she-must-go-home-lawyer-claims-pat-hickey-begged-wife-to-return-to-ireland-34994238.html

Hopefully he's had less "mental reservations" this time and on "mature recollection" the facts are clearer to him than they were when he spoke to the national broadcaster a few days ago:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/pat-hickey-the-contradictions-34994211.html

I kinda agree that an Inquiry is a bit pointless. I almost feel a bit sorry for Carroll Moran. I think the toothlessness of it all will frustrate him and much and all as he may be a brilliant Judge, ultimately he can only work within the terms of reference which will only permit for some bland report.
    I've also said it would be pointless, but presumably it would come up with recommendations for dealing with ticket sales that (although unenforcable) would probably be adopted by the OCI for reasons of damage limitation and ensuring continued funding.

So long as it doesn't take forever of course. These sorts of dishes are best eaten hot. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So Pat could be spending up to 3 MONTHS in the can before he's sent to court??

He'll be like a bear with a sore head at the end of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Beasty wrote: »
    I have little doubt the ticket was already paid for and the flexibility afforded in that class, in hindsight, was perhaps not that bad a thing!

Given the detail available on the picture of the ticket, and the detail available about Hickey, I did wonder if some bright spark would change the ticket to their own name and fly Rio to London first class :)

fryup wrote: »
    So Pat could be spending up to 3 MONTHS in the can before he's sent to court??

He'll be like a bear with a sore head at the end of this
    I think if it's going to take that long, they'll give him bail. Surprised to see that the police didn't find his second passport and that his wife handed it in after he was arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Shop40 wrote: »

I heard they sent a private jet over for her and it was ladened with boxes of Dom Perignon to make her journey home more pleasant.

Anywho, well done to Brendan Howlin yesterday for calling the treatment of two Irish men in a Brazilian prison as shoddy, regardless of innocence or guilt. And the same goes for Shane Coleman and Bobby Kerr this morning on Newstalk who said pretty much the same thing.

I was a bit worried that the massive imbalance on this thread was somehow reflective of what's happening in the real world, thankfully it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

heres an interesting read - how Hickey has contradicted himself over time.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/pat-hickey-the-contradictions-34994211.html

Any understanding of how THG became involved in this?
    Pat Hickey: “None whatsoever.”

The OCI no longer has any association with THG?
    Pat Hickey: “No. The ATR for Ireland for the Rio 2016 Games is PRO10 Management.”

* The evidence publicised by Brazilian police suggests that Mr Hickey personally asked THG if they wanted OCI tickets.

When did the OCI sever its links to THG?
    Pat Hickey: “After the Sochi Games.”

* Emails released by Brazilian authorities suggest that Mr Hickey was in contact with Mr Evans on August 3, just three days before the Rio Olympic Games began.

CFlat wrote: »
    I heard they sent a private jet over for her and it was ladened with boxes of Dom Perignon to make her journey home more pleasant.

Anywho, well done to Brendan Howlin yesterday for calling the treatment of two Irish men in a Brazilian prison as shoddy, regardless of innocence or guilt. And the same goes for Shane Coleman and Bobby Kerr this morning on Newstalk who said pretty much the same thing.

I was a bit worried that the massive imbalance on this thread was somehow reflective of what's happening in the real world, thankfully it's not.

Did you hear Shane Coleman saying they got a lot of comments they couldn't read out on air? I don't think those comments were pro-Pat. He also acknowledged Pat was an unsympathetic character.

Also, with Delaney being prominent in all this, a Denis O'Brien station is going to tread very carefully, as Lovely Bloke alluded to earlier.

Delaney could run FIFA you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I've also said it would be pointless, but presumably it would come up with recommendations for dealing with ticket sales that (although unenforcable) would probably be adopted by the OCI for reasons of damage limitation and ensuring continued funding.

So long as it doesn't take forever of course. These sorts of dishes are best eaten hot. ;)

In Ireland the worst Hickey has done is broke OCI contactual obligation to not deal with THG. I can't see how there is anything illegal they can pin him with here' so just some recommendations on how OCI manage contracts is the extent of it. Pro10 who had the contract seem to have been happy to work closely with their 'competitor' outside of contractual terms for some reason ;)

Does anyone know if Michael Lynn is still in Brazil? If not let them keep Hickey and give Lynn back.

What is the IOC saying about all of this, are they denouncing his treatment as much as Howlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's all merely part of a very cunning plan to put the Brazilian police force back in its box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

So he's done nothing wrong then John has he? Of course Hickey, Delaney et all don't live in the real world so hopefully Brazilian justice will prevail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

But in what way has their treatment been shoddy? Have their rights been violated? Are they being kept in inhumane conditions?

The impression I get is that they were saying the mere fact they're being detained is what's shoddy, which is just a random opinion about another country's legal system. I have no way of knowing, but I'd be willing to lay money on the fact that the rich foreigners are being treated with kid gloves by those in charge while incarcerated, despite the authorities saying they're being treated the same as everyone else.

They're not being served sushi and champagne, but I'm sure they're not being beaten or threatened either. If Hickey so much as catches a cold while he's there, it will be all over the papers. You'll probably find the general population are being kept away from them, or that they're only mixing with "nice" people.

Thoie wrote: »
    But in what way has their treatment been shoddy? Have their rights been violated? Are they being kept in inhumane conditions?

The impression I get is that they were saying the mere fact they're being detained is what's shoddy, which is just a random opinion about another country's legal system. I have no way of knowing, but I'd be willing to lay money on the fact that the rich foreigners are being treated with kid gloves by those in charge while incarcerated, despite the authorities saying they're being treated the same as everyone else.

They're not being served sushi and champagne, but I'm sure they're not being beaten or threatened either. If Hickey so much as catches a cold while he's there, it will be all over the papers. You'll probably find the general population are being kept away from them, or that they're only mixing with "nice" people.

From his lawyer in today's indo
    Ms Kamenetz explained: “He is someone with a big reputation that has been working so far very well in a position who has had his reputation and dignity thrown away. He is already judged, he is in the prison.”

She went on to say that Mr Hickey described his situation as 'Kafkian'.

Ms Kamenetz said the former OCI president is being treated well and not being bullied behind bars.

Treatment of prisoners, and human rights in general has never been near the top of the IOCs agenda before (or the EOC of which Pat is president). I'd say some of Azerbaijan's jailed journalists and political prisoners could tell Pat a thing or two about Kafkian conditions. But then again he was too busy rubbing shoulders with the guy who put them there.

In Ireland the worst Hickey has done is broke OCI contactual obligation to not deal with THG. I can't see how there is anything illegal they can pin him with here' so just some recommendations on how OCI manage contracts is the extent of it. Pro10 who had the contract seem to have been happy to work closely with their 'competitor' outside of contractual terms for some reason ;)

Does anyone know if Michael Lynn is still in Brazil? If not let them keep Hickey and give Lynn back.

What is the IOC saying about all of this, are they denouncing his treatment as much as Howlin?
    AFAIK Michael Lynn is still in Brazil. Extradition proceedings are supposed to have been finalised back in March or April, but there's not been a word since.

I don't think the IOC have said anything much about it beyond that he's entitled to the presumption of innocence, that the police will do their job and that it's an internal OCI matter. Which, to be fair is all true.

AFAIK Michael Lynn is still in Brazil. Extradition proceedings are supposed to have been finalised back in March or April, but there's not been a word since.

I don't think the IOC have said anything much about it beyond that he's entitled to the presumption of innocence, that the police will do their job and that it's an internal OCI matter. Which, to be fair is all true.

If one of its affiliated bodies has been breaking protocol at best in the selling of tickets or, at worst, engaging in criminal and fraudulent practices, then it wouldn't seem to me to be entirely an internal OCI matter. At the very least I would want to be putting as much distance as possible between myself and such carry on rather than seeming so blase about it.

Remember the IOC having a dig at the Fifa guys when they were getting shuffled into panda cars in Switzerland at the back end last year? Hope they're all shuffling a little uncomfortably now that it's all coming a bit closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

In Ireland the worst Hickey has done is broke OCI contactual obligation to not deal with THG. I can't see how there is anything illegal they can pin him with here' so just some recommendations on how OCI manage contracts is the extent of it.

Which makes this whole desperate face saving excercise in futility even more pointless.

I don't care how legal people choose to waste their time. I just resent paying for it.

Remember the IOC having a dig at the Fifa guys when they were getting shuffled into panda cars in Switzerland at the back end last year? Hope they're all shuffling a little uncomfortably now that it's all coming a bit closer to home.

But the IOC are paragons of virtue that FIFA should aspire to. According to Thomas Bach, who's bound to know.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/reform_ioc-head--fifa-should-learn-from-olympic-example/41701432
    The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Thomas Bach, said on Monday he hoped FIFA, world football’s governing body, would be inspired by earlier reforms carried out at the Lausanne-based organisation.
    Bach told a sports conference in Kitzbühel, Austria: “The IOC carried out reforms in many areas 15 years ago. If another sports organisation wants to do the same, we wouldn't mind and we'd even welcome it.”

Good to see the IOC is reformed now. No allegations of cities buying votes for games. Totally clean....except for...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/11/tokyo-olympic-games-2020-ioc-international-olympic-committee-corruption-bid-scandal

• Advertisement

But the IOC are paragons of virtue that FIFA should aspire to. According to Thomas Bach, who's bound to know.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/reform_ioc-head--fifa-should-learn-from-olympic-example/41701432

Good to see the IOC is reformed now. No allegations of cities buying votes for games. Totally clean....except for...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/11/tokyo-olympic-games-2020-ioc-international-olympic-committee-corruption-bid-scandal

I looked up "IOC reform" in the dictionary and it just says cf oxymoron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

So Pro10 registered the domain to sell tickets 3 months before it was 'awarded' the contract

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/pro10-registered-rio-website-before-scooping-ticket-deal-34994003.html

'The contract did not go out to tender and there was surprise when it was awarded to Pro10, which was a relatively new company with no track record in dealing with ticketing for major events'

So Pro10 registered the domain to sell tickets 3 months before it was 'awarded' the contract

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/pro10-registered-rio-website-before-scooping-ticket-deal-34994003.html

'The contract did not go out to tender and there was surprise when it was awarded to Pro10, which was a relatively new company with no track record in dealing with ticketing for major events'

To be fair, on the domain registration thing, I reckon its standard to register the name in advance - just to stop anyone else getting there first. If you dont use it you dont lose much, whereas getting a name that someone else is sitting on could be costly.

The contract not going out to tender is a different matter though. Surprised that's not the headline story.

To be fair, on the domain registration thing, I reckon its standard to register the name in advance - just to stop anyone else getting there first. If you dont use it you dont lose much, whereas getting a name that someone else is sitting on could be costly.

The contract not going out to tender is a different matter though. Surprised that's not the headline story.

They will no doubt be having a look back at 2012 as well. Hickey is on record as saying they conducted a thorough "global search" for a ticket partner in 2010 before conveniently settling on THG which already had a relationship with the FAI as regards corporate packages in Lansdowne. Let's wait and see just how thorough and how global that search actually was.

They will no doubt be having a look back at 2012 as well. Hickey is on record as saying they conducted a thorough "global search" for a ticket partner in 2010 before conveniently settling on THG which already had a relationship with the FAI as regards corporate packages in Lansdowne. Let's wait and see just how thorough and how global that search actually was.
    A lot of countries used CoSport. UK, US, Austria, Bulgaria, Norway, Russia and Sweden all had their tickets sold through them.

www.cosport.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement