Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'll just hope no one ever invites them to weddings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

dresden8 wrote: »
    They never expected to go to a formal meeting or function in all their time at the Olympics?

Bullshyte.

Optics again
    Solidarity symbol kitted out like that
    If they have no formal clothes then no fine dining for them !
    Ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

They never expected to go to a formal meeting or function in all their time at the Olympics?

Bullshyte.
    Really? And your evidence for this is?

Edit: Here's the description of the Jamaican's chef de mission of his role and responsibilities. It's a long article, because it's a massive job.
    It means, of course, being available at all times. The chef de mission, incidentally, is normally the only person whose accreditation would allow access to all places and points during the Games. And with good reason. He or she has to be available and have access to all points to ensure the team secures the right environment to perform to the best of each person’s ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Enough of that kind of talk, haven't you heard that they are now valued partners?

http://en.trend.az/azerbaijan/politics/2535336.html

Sure, didn't they even win the Eurovision? All fair and square that was!

Just a little something I researched on this 'valued partner':

'Globally recognised human rights organisations and the international media collectively deemed 2014 a year of unprecedented civil society crackdown in Azerbaijan. Political leaders, youth activists, human rights defenders, journalists and bloggers were shut down; and international organisations and donors were forced out of the country. Moreover, stringent laws, criminal investigations, and frozen bank accounts made it impossible for local NGOs to continue their activities...........

So far, the Azerbaijani government has managed to silence its Western critics by cooperating with the U.S. and Europe on security and energy issues.......

In late July, early August 2014, in a matter of days, law enforcement jailed the most prominent human rights defenders, Leyla Yunus and her husband, historian Arif Yunis.....and lawyer Intigam Aliyev......

The regime in Azerbaijan favours Putin's authoritarianism and considers democracy a threat to the regime's own hold on power.....'

I could go on and on but one gets the idea of the nature of this country in which Pat Hickey was happy to organise the first European Olympic Games. I believe he regards these as his 'greatest legacy'!

Just another item I spotted, by Thomas De Waal, re the above named imprisoned civil rights defenders:

'It was well after midnight in Baku, on 5 August, 2014, when I spoke by Skype to my old friend, Arif Yunus, the distinguished Azerbaijani scholar. Arif was under great stress. He wanted to discuss how to get urgent medical treatment for his wife, Leyla, the well-known human rights defender, who had been arrested the week before. Despite his house arrest, Arif was allowed to travel to the notorious Kurdakhany prison outside the city to deliver packages of medicines and food to his wife. The prison authorities refused to receive them.

A few hours later, Arif himself went to a court hearing in Baku. He never went home. He was detained on charges, including treason, and put on pre-trial detention. Since then, he has been incommunicado, kept in an isolation cell in the prison of the National Security Agency, the successor to the KGB. He is unable to receive visits or letters...'

This happened the year before the Games.

Guess Pat should be thanking his lucky stars he was not arrested in a country like his despotic pal's authoritarian hell hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

OCI officials Kilty and Martin leave Rio HQ, Police say judge will decide on passport return, they cooperated fully.

https://twitter.com/RayKennedyHack/status/768922714677600256

Baku is a city I'd really like to visit though. Amazing looking place.

http://baku.unaoc.org/wp-content/uploads/Downtown_of_Baku_panoramics.png

'The Dubai of the Caucasus.'

Lovely place. :rolleyes:

brooke 2 wrote: »
    'The Dubai of the Caucasus.'

Lovely place. :rolleyes:
    I did say 'looking'. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Really? And your evidence for this is?

Edit: Here's the description of the Jamaican's chef de mission of his role and responsibilities. It's a long article, because it's a massive job.

Please quote the necessity in their position of responsibility to be dressed in tracksuits all the time. When I go on holiday my other half requires me to have formal wear that I have never worn in 20 years.

These people don't think they might get invited to a "do" they might have to put a shirt, a pair of trousers and tie on?

Bullshyte.

CFlat wrote: »
    So you're not happy with the politicians that did comment and you're also not happy with the politicians that didn't. That says more about you then them, IMO.

You get angry because Irish people are concerned about other Irish people banged up in jail abroad? If too much empathy makes you mad, well that's very worrying TBH.

Pat Hickey is not Irish 'people'.

He is the Irish person who was more than happy, as I am sick of saying at this stage, to consort with the authoritarian ruler of a corrupt country with an abysmal record re human rights. Hickey is damn lucky he is not banged up in one of his prisons. (See my earlier post re Azerbaijan.)

It is galling to hear the likes of Shane Coleman, Tubridy, Micheál Martin, et al, feeling sorry for him when he gave no thought to all those unjustly imprisoned in the country in which he was more than happy to hold his precious European Games.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times reporting that the police say the two guys had no role in ticket touting.
    Brazilian police are satisfied that the two Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) officials they interviewed on Thursday had no role in the alleged ticketing scandal at the Rio Games.

Police said they would recommend that the passports of Kevin Kilty and Stephen Martin be returned to them after they were interviewed at a police station in the north of Rio.

They may still be in Rio for a few days as apparently Dermot Henihan is still waiting for his passport to be returned.

signostic wrote: »

Why does a judge have to decide whether or not the get their passports back? The other OCI guy got his back from the police from what I can understand..

Edit* see above post #2763

signostic wrote: »
    Why does a judge have to decide whether or not the get their passports back? The other OCI guy got his back from the police from what I can understand..
    I just posted above. He hasn't got his pasport back yet. I suspect that since they have to get a court order to take it, it needs the same judge at a sitting to return it.

The good news for anyone who is worrying about her is that the translator that was arrested with Kevin Mallon was released quite soon afterwards. She never went to prison.

I think the poster gets angry that this concern never extended to far more deserving people who Hickey was happy enough to throw under the bus to facilitate their dirty, ugly Olympics going to duty, ugly totalitarian regimes. There certainly wasn't "too much empathy" doing the rounds back then.

Thank you, Realt Dearg Sec. Could not have said it better myself!! :)

Optics again
    Solidarity symbol kitted out like that
    If they have no formal clothes then no fine dining for them !
    Ok .

Funny how the other guy, Henihan, turned up in civvies.

Please quote the necessity in their position of responsibility to be dressed in tracksuits all the time. When I go on holiday my other half requires me to have formal wear that I have never worn in 20 years.

These people don't think they might get invited to a "do" they might have to put a shirt, a pair of trousers and tie on?

Bullshyte.
    A suit and tie is not practical wear for the job they do. They're certainly not on holidays, so comparing the two is laughable.

You clearly haven't read that article fully because if you had, you wouldn't be continuing with your (to coin your own word) bullshyte disbelief. Apart from anything else, the two lads were doorstepped as they left their hotel the other day and they were wearing their tracksuits then as well.

Dermot Henihan and Pat Hickey wore suits at different times and Henihan wore his suit to the interview with police. So he mustn't have got the memo. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

A suit and tie is not practical wear for the job they do. They're certainly not on holidays, so comparing the two is laughable.

You clearly haven't read that article fully because if you had, you wouldn't be continuing with your (to coin your own word) bullshyte disbelief. Apart from anything else, the two lads were doorstepped as they left their hotel the other day and they were wearing their tracksuits then as well.

Dermot Henihan and Pat Hickey wore suits at different times and Henihan wore his suit to the interview with police. So he mustn't have got the memo. :rolleyes:

Hang on, you're saying they had suits but chose not to wear them.

That's what I said.

Lolz. Just lolz.

They only packed tracksuits. A jacket, shirt, tie, trousers and shoes were just beyond the OCI budget.

The airline induced weight horror, the horror...........

Listen to yourself. Just listen.

Cop on..........
    If all you can come up with is that. I think I've rested my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Pat Hickey is not Irish 'people'.

He is the Irish person who was more than happy, as I am sick of saying at this stage, to consort with the authoritarian ruler of a corrupt country with an abysmal record re human rights. Hickey is damn lucky he is not banged up in one of his prisons. (See my earlier post re Azerbaijan.)

It is galling to hear the likes of Shane Coleman, Tubridy, Micheál Martin, et al, feeling sorry for him when he gave no thought to all those unjustly imprisoned in the country in which he was more than happy to hold his precious European Games.

When I referred to Irish people I was also referring to Frank Mallon as well as Pat Hickey in case you've forgotten that 2 people are incarcerated.

Frankly I couldn't care less what you are sick saying. EVERYBODY is entitled to due process and the Judge Dredd characters on this thread need to be reminded of that.

Hang on, you're saying they had suits but chose not to wear them.

That's what I said.
    Nice edit. ;)

Pity I quoted it so quickly. :D

You'll have to learn to read a bit more carefully. And you had all that time to edit your post and come up with another slant. And still missed.

Lolz indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Really? Surely a trial would sort that out.

With evidence and stuff.

The Brazillians at least seem to have evidence they are willing to present.

Not so much the Egyptians.

Yep a trial probably will sort it, if that's the way the Egyptians want to do it. It's their country after all.

Also agree that the Brazilians seem to have plenty of damning evidence against Hickey. I'm certainly pleased he isn't being taken to task over this here in Ireland. We rarely deal with issues such as this in the appropriate manner.

If all you can come up with is that. I think I've rested my case.

National representatives don't pack a shirt and tie. Maybe not even a pair of trousers.

Bullshyte.

Does Brazil ban formal wear like it bans ticket touting?

The poor OCI officials. One tracksuit and no change of jocks.

Not even Ryanair is that restrictive, and they don't even fly to Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

And it goes on to list all those. And the list does not include NOCs.

You seem to be contending that the NOC allocation are the same as the ATR allocation. If that's the case, you're wrong. They are even marked differently.

Also Friends and Family tickets are different again. I heard an athlete on the radio this evening describe the process and they get a special number that they enter on a website and the tickets are then printed out.

It lists the ATRs not the ATCs. Are you suggesting the OCI is not an authorised ticket source? How could they pass them on to Pro10 then?

The NOC allocation includes the tickets to be sold by Pro10. I've just realised that you haven't grasped that fact. An NOC allocation is all of the tickets for a country including those for fans, families, sponsors etc. The NOC passes them on to the ATR or sells them itself.

Regardless of all of this, you still haven't shown how the OCI have the right to pass any ticket on to THG. THG are excluded from being able to distribute any tickets as they aren't an Authoriesed Ticket Source. The only organisations that can do so for Ireland are OCI and Pro10.

stimpson wrote: »
    It lists the ATRs not the ATCs. Are you suggesting the OCI is not an authorised ticket source? How could they pass them on to Pro10 then?
    What's an ATC? :confused:
    The NOC allocation includes the tickets to be sold by Pro10. I've just realised that you haven't grasped that fact. An NOC allocation is all of the tickets for a country including those for fans, families, sponsors etc. The NOC passes them on to the ATR or sells them itself.
    No it doesn't include the tickets to be sold by the ATR. The NOC allocation from 8.5 million available tickets at London 2012 was 1.1 million. Are you saying that 1.1 million tickets are spread around every nation in the world and that the OCOG sell the other 7.4 million? Bearing in mind that the OCOG can only sell tickets to their local territory? As in ROCOG can only sell to Brazilians or countries that don't have an ATR.
    Regardless of all of this, you still haven't shown how the OCI have the right to pass any ticket on to THG. THG are excluded from being able to distribute any tickets as they aren't an Authoriesed Ticket Source. The only organisations that can do so for Ireland are OCI and Pro10.
    No I haven't, you're quite correct. I've merely said that there's no proof that they can't give the tickets to anybody they choose, as I haven't seen anything that definitively refers to NOC tickets and their allowed uses. There's lots of anecdotal statements about NOC tickets going to politicians and other unconnected persons, but the mechanisms and rules are unclear.

What's an ATC? :confused:

No it doesn't include the tickets to be sold by the ATR. The NOC allocation from 8.5 million available tickets at London 2012 was 1.1 million. Are you saying that 1.1 million tickets are spread around every nation in the world and that the OCOG sell the other 7.4 million? Bearing in mind that the OCOG can only sell tickets to their local territory? As in ROCOG can only sell to Brazilians or countries that don't have an ATR.

No I haven't, you're quite correct. I've merely said that there's no proof that they can't give the tickets to anybody they choose, as I haven't seen anything that definitively refers to NOC tickets and their allowed uses. There's lots of anecdotal statements about NOC tickets going to politicians and other unconnected persons, but the mechanisms and rules are unclear.

Apologies. I meant ATS - authorised ticket source as defined in the Terms and Confitions. This includes the NOCs and ATRs and anyone else who is officially allowed to distribute tickets.

1.1 million tickets were assigned to NOCs for disbursement in their respective countries. 7.4 million were sold in Brazil by Rio2016. Each NOC can appoint an ATR or act as a reseller themselves.

There is proof they can't give tickets to anyone they choose. All ticket disbursement is covered by the Terms and conditions I posted. They specifically cover Authorised Ticket Sources. They specifically disqualify tickets being resold by third parties, sold by an ATR at more than 20% markup and sold as part of s hospitality package.

Apologies. I meant ATS - authorised ticket source as defined in the Terms and Confitions. This includes the NOCs and ATRs and anyone else who is officially allowed to distribute tickets.

1.1 million tickets were assigned to NOCs for disbursement in their respective countries. 7.4 million were sold in Brazil by Rio2016. Each NOC can appoint an ATR or act as a reseller themselves.

There is proof they can't give tickets to anyone they choose. All ticket disbursement is covered by the Terms and conditions I posted. They specifically cover Authorised Ticket Sources. They specifically disqualify tickets being resold by third parties, sold by an ATR at more than 20% markup and sold as part of s hospitality package.
    We're going around in circles here. I can't believe for a minute that only 1.1 million tickets were allowed for sale in over 150 countries. It's a ridiculously small number. Especially considering that the remainder can only be sold to Brazilians until June 2016. I also read somewhere that the ATRs can apply for more tickets if they run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Very interesting article in the Phoenix magazine this week.

Basically proposing that it is a set up.....as Pat Hickey is too close to Eastern Europe and Russia in particular. So certain forces are out to get him.

There were suggestions in various media for a total ban on Russia as punishment for doping at Sochi. Pat Hickey defended Russia to stay in the Rio Olympics.

But what is in it for the Brazilians?

We're going around in circles here. I can't believe for a minute that only 1.1 million tickets were allowed for sale in over 150 countries. It's a ridiculously small number. Especially considering that the remainder can only be sold to Brazilians until June 2016. I also read somewhere that the ATRs can apply for more tickets if they run out.

Regardless, NOC tickets are covered by the Ts and Cs and cannot be passed to third parties. That is the only point that is relevant to Hickey and THG.

Regardless, NOC tickets are covered by the Ts and Cs and cannot be passed to third parties. That is the only point that is relevant to Hickey and THG.
    And I don't agree. So we'll have to wait for the trial to clarify that or something definitve being published in the interim.

It doesn't make sense to me to mark tickets differently if they have the same rules applicable to public sale tickets.

And I don't agree. So we'll have to wait for the trial to clarify that or something definitve being published in the interim.

It doesn't make sense to me to mark tickets differently if they have the same rules applicable to public sale tickets.

It makes perfect sense to have a single set of terms for all tickets. The following quote makes no exception for any class of ticket. Note that it refers to "Sources" rather than "Resellers" and therefore covers tickets distributed by the NOC and ATR.
    Tickets purchased or obtained from or through sources other than directly from Authorized Ticket Sources, in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, may be declared void, and may be seized or cancelled. In such a case, the Ticket Holder will be denied entry to the Session and the Purchaser will not be eligible for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Transcript of the Joe Duffy interview on Broadsheet.ie.
    Unless the Polcie Comissioner asked to be on the show you really have to question what RTE was doing.
    This should have been handled by a proper interviewer.
    Joe seems to labour on his age like a few posters here.
    Also claims that a lot of people in Ireland seem to think that Pat Hickeys treatment was unfair.
    I'd love to see a poll supporting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Actually makes me sick to think that the likes of Joe Duffy and RTE is dressed up as some sort of public service if this is the sort of interview they are putting out in the hope they can swing the public opinion in favor of their golden circle friends . Really hope the mask is slipping in the eyes of the general public of where RTE's priorities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I can't believe that Shane Ross has launched a 'toothless' non-statutory inquiry :cool:

Like why :confused:

It makes perfect sense to have a single set of terms for all tickets. The following quote makes no exception for any class of ticket. Note that it refers to "Sources" rather than "Resellers" and therefore covers tickets distributed by the NOC and ATR.
    That's not what I said. If the terms apply to all tickets then there's absolutely no point in marking them differently. In each nation there are tickets marked for example: Germany EU/EEA and NOC Germany. I can understand the differentiation of tickets by nation since ATRs are forbidden to sell tickets outside their territory, but not the differentiation between NOC and non-NOC tickets if they are treated the same.

For example there are also tickets marked for sponsors. Here's an image of one: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D1M0hH2pl6s/maxresdefault.jpg

If you blow it up, it says: Ticket for use exclusively by invited guests of [name of sponsor]. On the general sale ones it says: Ticket for use by residents of (or their guests) [name of nation].

The only image I can find of a NOC ticket has the applicable wording almost completely obscured. All you can see are the words 'NOC' and 'Ticket'. The photo is of the tickets taken from Mallon. http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/tickets-rio.jpg

That's not what I said. If the terms apply to all tickets then there's absolutely no point in marking them differently. In each nation there are tickets marked for example: Germany EU/EEA and NOC Germany. I can understand the differentiation of tickets by nation since ATRs are forbidden to sell tickets outside their territory, but not the differentiation between NOC and non-NOC tickets if they are treated the same.

For example there are also tickets marked for sponsors. Here's an image of one: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D1M0hH2pl6s/maxresdefault.jpg

If you blow it up, it says: Ticket for use exclusively by invited guests of [name of sponsor]. On the general sale ones it says: Ticket for use by residents of (or their guests) [name of nation].

The only image I can find of a NOC ticket has the applicable wording almost completely obscured. All you can see are the words 'NOC' and 'Ticket'. The photo is of the tickets taken from Mallon. http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/tickets-rio.jpg

Here you go

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/6008/production/_90848542_1tickets.jpg

Tickets for use exclusively by (or guests of)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

ABC101 wrote: »
    Very interesting article in the Phoenix magazine this week.

Basically proposing that it is a set up.....as Pat Hickey is too close to Eastern Europe and Russia in particular. So certain forces are out to get him.

There were suggestions in various media for a total ban on Russia as punishment for doping at Sochi. Pat Hickey defended Russia to stay in the Rio Olympics.

But what is in it for the Brazilians?

Short term distraction over the fact that their economy is bad and reminding themselves that both the World Cup and Olympics have made it worse?

Hoping that the people will be angry that bad men charged them way too much money for tickets and that will somehow stop them from moaning about other stuff for a while?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LordSutch wrote: »
    I can't believe that Shane Ross has launched a 'toothless' non-statutory inquiry :cool:

Because even if it had teeth, what could it do?
    The whole idea of an inquiry is somewhat futile.
    Maybe the OCI need a form of audit to ensure that the state donation is providing value for money but I'm not aware of any Irish offence that any member of the OCI did so why the need for an inquiry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

LordSutch wrote: »

Didn't Ross once bring out a book called "Wasters" complaining about public figures spending public money wastefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Actually makes me sick to think that the likes of Joe Duffy and RTE is dressed up as some sort of public service if this is the sort of interview they are putting out in the hope they can swing the public opinion in favor of their golden circle friends . Really hope the mask is slipping in the eyes of the general public of where RTE's priorities are.

This was posted on the Liveline thread. Signostic put a link up last night, but in case you didnt see it...here it is again. Worth reading:
    And again.....the elephant in the room is on the board of the RTÉ Authority, he's the chairman in fact (Tom Savage). Savage is also an owner of and Director of The Communications Clinic (in any other country that would be a conflict of interest that would disqualify you from a role in the state broadcaster but not in Ireland).

Guess who is a client of TCC? The OCI.

Guess who's another? THG (the ticket sellers). Conflict again? Not at all.....

You want to know where the pressure to conduct that call came from? Follow the chain of dominos.....

And for more on TCC, read this broadsheet article about Kate Fitzgerald, also linked over on the Liveline thread. Warning: its a very tough read.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/23/five-years-after/

• Advertisement

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Didn't Ross once bring out a book called "Wasters" complaining about public figures spending public money wastefully?

Not only that...he brought this out too

https://www.amazon.com/Untouchables-people-helped-Ireland-running-ebook/dp/B008R96NOI

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Ross is quickly learning the difference between being on a pitch and hurling from the ditch!

Here you go

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/6008/production/_90848542_1tickets.jpg

Tickets for use exclusively by (or guests of)
    That looks like a sponsor ticket. Hard to see but it seems to say NBC Olympics LLC.

kbannon wrote: »
    Because even if it had teeth, what could it do?
    The whole idea of an inquiry is somewhat futile.
    Maybe the OCI need a form of audit to ensure that the state donation is providing value for money but I'm not aware of any Irish offence that any member of the OCI did so why the need for an inquiry.
    The most salient inquiry is the one happening in Rio. However, the inquiry here could provide recommendations as to how these things are handled in the future or even recomnmend changes in the law here. They might try and impose a government representative on the board, but as in the case of Kuwait, that could lead to the suspension of the OCI from the IOC and even prevent our athletes from competing.

The OCI could invite a government representative onto the board, but it would have to be done carefully as any whiff of government interference could end up with the same outcome.

So from a truth finding perspective, not much use, but there could be other positive outcomes that would make it worthwhile. The main thing though is to ensure it's done quickly.

"He is in jail, he's 71, he has a heart condition, he is not well.

"He is trying to cope but he cannot understand this. He keeps saying 'I have done nothing wrong, what is happening here?'

he's done nothing wrong, yeah that's why his wife tried to aid in giving the cops the slip, with the old slight of hand, "ah ye just missed him lads" line

he's 71? so jail time is only reserved in earnest for the younger members of society?? and he has a heart condition?? amazing how all these fools develop
    sudden illness's, suicidal tendencies and traumatic stress disorders, once they're caught out!!

can you imagine he was in some way influential in allowance of Russia back in the games, post ban?? that means he would have helped created a situation which saw Michael conlon beat out of a medal by a corrupt well oiled, greasy palmed Russian gang of cheaters!! Ironic eh!

That looks like a sponsor ticket. Hard to see but it seems to say NBC Olympics LLC.

I trust this will be clear enough to put the matter to rest

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02958/03_09094230_958240_2958509a.jpg

• Advertisement

I trust this will be clear enough to put the matter to rest

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02958/03_09094230_958240_2958509a.jpg
    That does. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

FFS, here we go

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

Behind a paywall, but the start of the article is:
    John Delaney has sent legal letters to Irish newspapers over their coverage of the Olympic ticket-touting controversy.

A&L Goodbody, the corporate law firm, has written to a number of national newspapers and media agencies on behalf of the FAI’s chief executive. Media outlets including The Irish Examiner, The Journal.ie and the Irish Independent are all understood to have received a letter.

I'm guessing the letter doesn't say "Great coverage lads, keep up the good work".

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm guessing the letter doesn't say "Great coverage lads, keep up the good work".

"one day my son, all this will be yours"

http://cdn-02.herald.ie/news/article34990583.ece/278a0/AUTOCROP/w620/2016-08-24_new_24050669_I1.JPG

Here it is:
    John Delaney has sent legal letters to Irish newspapers over their coverage of the Olympic ticket-touting controversy.

A&L Goodbody, the corporate law firm, has written to a number of national newspapers and media agencies on behalf of the FAI’s chief executive. Media outlets including The Irish Examiner, The Journal.ie and the Irish Independent are all understood to have received a letter.

On Sunday night, police in Rio de Janeiro said that they wanted to interview Mr Delaney as part of their investigation into the alleged touting of tickets for the Olympic Games.

Mr Delaney, who is vice-president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), was named in a warrant with Willie O’Brien, acting president of the council, and Linda O’Reilly, personal assistant to the president. The court order authorised the seizure of their passports, but none of the three were in Brazil. There is no suggestion of wrongdoing on the part of Mr Delaney, Mr O’Brien and Ms O’Reilly.

On Saturday police seized the passports of Dermot Henihan, general secretary of the council, Kevin Kilty, its treasurer, and Stephen Martin, the chief executive. All three have since been interviewed by the police and have been told they can now return home. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the part of the three.

It is understood that Mr Delaney’s letters stated that he does not have an executive role in the OCI. His lawyers also said that he is a voluntary and unpaid member of the executive committee of the organisation and had no role in any decision-making when it came to the OCI’s ticketing licence for the Games.

They also suggested that media outlets have been covering the story without seeking comment from Mr Delaney, who has not spoken publicly about the ticket-touting controversy since the story broke more than three weeks ago. He spoke to a radio station on Tuesday discussing the death of former FAI president but did not make any comment on ticketing.

The FAI have not responded to repeated requests for comment since Mr Delaney was named in the warrant on Sunday.

Mr Delaney attended a late-night meeting of the OCI board at the weekend, which outlined the council’s response to the matter. He did not speak to the media afterwards.

The council has said that it will appoint an international accountancy firm this week to conduct a review of the ticketing arrangements for the Rio Games.

It added that earlier this week it had appointed Espion, a data security company, to secure, copy and seal the OCI server and all OCI electronic data

Carroll Moran, a former high court judge, has been named as chairman of a government inquiry to examine allegations of Olympic ticket-touting. The corporate governance and funding of the OCI may be examined as part of the inquiry.

Patrick O’Donovan, the junior sports minister, suggested that Mr Delaney could be asked to speak to the non-statutory investigation.

“We’re not really minded to be naming individuals, but we would ask and we would fully expect that anybody who has any level of knowledge in relation to this issue will fully co-operate with Mr Moran,” Mr O’Donovan said.

So, a couple of points strike me:

• For a man of such talent (he can run anything according to Denis), the OCI are criminally underusing him
    • If he does so little in the OCI, how did Pat decide he'll be his successor?
    • The FAI had a relationship with THG before the OCI did. Did John not mention this, or did nobody ask him at the time they got the rights to sell tickets for London & Sochi
    • The three lads running Pro10 are football men. Presumably John has met them before? Again, would nobody in the OCI have thought to ask John about them?
    • No journalist looked to talk to John this week?
    • Why did he have flights booked to Rio and never use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ahlookit wrote: »
    Here it is:

So, a couple of points strike me:

• For a man of such talent (he can run anything according to Denis), the OCI are criminally underusing him
    • If he does so little in the OCI, how did Pat decide he'll be his successor?
    • The FAI had a relationship with THG before the OCI did. Did John not mention this, or did nobody ask him at the time they got the rights to sell tickets for London & Sochi
    • The three lads running Pro10 are football men. Presumably John has met them before? Again, would nobody in the OCI have thought to ask John about them?
    • No journalist looked to talk to John this week?
    • Why did he have flights booked to Rio and never use them?

Stop asking questions! That's it, you're getting a letter. A letter for you, and one for you, and one for you... Letters for everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement