Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I don't think I have ever heard anything quite like that interview before.
    Duffy thought he could put a foreign police chief on trial. He hectored and tried to bully him into giving the answer he wanted to hear and wouldn't let somebody who seemed to have good enough english, speak.
    Quite amazing to be honest, not the better of it yet.

Just heard this interview and I feel like emailing that Inspector and apologising for that feckin eejit and asking him would be interested in a job here.

Podcast for anyone who want to hear...

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/rt-liveline/e/46048064?autoplay=true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

They also suggested that media outlets have been covering the story without seeking comment from Mr Delaney, who has not spoken publicly about the ticket-touting controversy since the story broke more than three weeks ago.

Aye, our John has always been a bit media shy. They must be having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ahlookit wrote: »
    Here it is:

So, a couple of points strike me:

• For a man of such talent (he can run anything according to Denis), the OCI are criminally underusing him
    • If he does so little in the OCI, how did Pat decide he'll be his successor?
    • The FAI had a relationship with THG before the OCI did. Did John not mention this, or did nobody ask him at the time they got the rights to sell tickets for London & Sochi
    • The three lads running Pro10 are football men. Presumably John has met them before? Again, would nobody in the OCI have thought to ask John about them?
    • No journalist looked to talk to John this week?
    • Why did he have flights booked to Rio and never use them?

this is the bit that really struck me
    Patrick O’Donovan, the junior sports minister, suggested that Mr Delaney could be asked to speak to the non-statutory investigation.

suggested? could be asked? I'm predicting great success for that investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Thoie wrote: »
    Stop asking questions! That's it, you're getting a letter. A letter for you, and one for you, and one for you... Letters for everyone!

I've already got a letter from John this week...see attached

Am I allowed to ask why we're playing Oman (ranked below Syria and Kyrgyzstan) for the third time in 4 years next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

FFS, here we go

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

Behind a paywall, but the start of the article is:

I'm guessing the letter doesn't say "Great coverage lads, keep up the good work".

Would you expect anything else from the prick?

fullstop wrote: »
    Would you expect anything else from the prick?

Sure Marcus Evans was only copying him on the emails for the craic.

John's a good man for the craic.
    When asked why he wanted to interview FAI chief Executive and OCI Vice President John Delaney and Temporary President Willie O'Brien Mr Falcao explained: “We wanted to know about his involvement in this case but he didn't come to Brazil.

“All the emails were sent to Patrick Hickey, copied to John Delaney and Willie O'Brien because they are the big guys in the council.
    “Patrick Hickey said in the police station that all the decisions were made by the executive council and these guys are the big guys in the OCI.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/rio-police-want-to-interview-john-delaney-and-willie-obrien-they-are-the-big-guys-in-the-council-34990337.html

Doesn't quite tally with the story in The Times
    It is understood that Mr Delaney’s letters stated that he does not have an executive role in the OCI. His lawyers also said that he is a voluntary and unpaid member of the executive committee of the organisation and had no role in any decision-making when it came to the OCI’s ticketing licence for the Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Satriale wrote: »
    Just heard this interview and I feel like emailing that Inspector and apologising for that feckin eejit and asking him would be interested in a job here.

Podcast for anyone who want to hear...

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/rt-liveline/e/46048064?autoplay=true

I notice the great Duffy was off today, probably scrubbing the decks of his flotilla!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0826/812179-pat-hickey-rio-olympics/

Well they are not in Ireland any-more. Accept the laws, practices and customs of the host country, Brazil.

I am sure they would be saying that to any other person arrested in Brazil.

Poor Pat. Maybe with all the spare time he now has he's had a moment to think of all the people who ended up in devastating conditions in Azerbaijani prisons to facilitate his grubby little project in Baku... https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/06/16/azerbaijans-european-games-giving-sport-bad-name

Amazing that we are expected to sympathise with him when he happily ignored this kind of flagrant abuse of human rights in Azerbaijan, Sochi, Beijing... Hickey epitomises the cancerous decay of the Olympic ideals. My only problem is he's in prison for the most inconsequential nonsense, ticket touting, instead of his complicity in state repression and the crushing of dissent in multiple countries. In a just world he'd be locked away until his death. Sadly hell never actually face justice for what he's been involved in and neither will anyone wise, so we're stuck with this Mickey mouse bull**** about tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

From that same article :
    The family is also calling upon Minister Flanagan to "immediately issue a statement setting out the steps the Department of Foreign Affairs is taking to object to the manner in which an elderly Irish citizen was arrested and is still being detained in Brazil".

I will spit blood if Flanagan interferes in this. I can't blame the family for trying - if my father was arrested abroad (or even in Ireland) I'd chance my arm at anything to get him home. But if Flanagan or any other member of the government start trying to pull strings or interfering in the judicial process of another country, it will prove for once and for all that the Irish government is purely an Old Boy's Club, existing mainly to benefit people with money and connections to the right places.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

So first he was being held with no evidence...then the Brazilian police share a couple of emails as an indication of the evidence they have...now he can't have a fair trial because they are releasing evidence? That makes sense.

They're looking for help from Shane Ross, Charlie Flanagan & Enda Kenny?
    But Shane is still in his box where the poor frail 71 year old put him last week.

As Pat was fond of telling us his "constituency was different". Pat had outgrown Ireland, we were too small for him. Why not get one of his "family" to help:
    And he told me that one of his favourite moments in London had been being invited to accompany Vladimir Putin and David Cameron to the judo hall.
    "A great day," said Hickey, claiming to know Putin "very well".

He enthused: "What a day in the judo hall with Cameron and Putin. That's my family, you're with friends."
    Back then, he said that he planned to step down as OCI President in early 2014. "There is a time to get out of everything . . . before you're carried out," he laughed.

Or before you're led out in handcuffs Pat

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/vincent-hogan-pat-hickey-the-high-flier-who-calls-david-cameron-and-vladimir-putin-his-family-34975117.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

A meeting with enda they want, hardly going to agree to that when putting politicians in boxes is their thing.

From that same article :

I will spit blood if Flanagan interferes in this. I can't blame the family for trying - if my father was arrested abroad (or even in Ireland) I'd chance my arm at anything to get him home. But if Flanagan or any other member of the government start trying to pull strings or interfering in the judicial process of another country, it will prove for once and for all that the Irish government is purely an Old Boy's Club, existing mainly to benefit people with money and connections to the right places.

You need further proof ?

The RTE website article is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

FFS, here we go

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

Behind a paywall, but the start of the article is:

"John Delaney has sent legal letters to Irish newspapers over their coverage of the Olympic ticket-touting controversy.

A&L Goodbody, the corporate law firm, has written to a number of national newspapers and media agencies on behalf of the FAI’s chief executive. Media outlets including The Irish Examiner, The Journal.ie and the Irish Independent are all understood to have received a letter. "

I'm guessing the letter doesn't say "Great coverage lads, keep up the good work".

I'm very, very concerned by this.

Do we have enough boxes to put everybody back into? Should somebody do a run to Ikea to see if they have some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0826/812179-pat-hickey-rio-olympics/

Well they are not in Ireland any-more. Accept the laws, practices and customs of the host country, Brazil.

I am sure they would be saying that to any other person arrested in Brazil.

Where are our politicians demanding his release like that other lad in Egypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Time to circle the wagons lads, we must get public opinion on our side. In the meantime make sure none of the media who are not on board do anymore damage!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

You can understand the hickeys families concerns. A lot will become clear over the coming days about how much influence the man has in certain political and media circles in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

LordSutch wrote: »
    I can't believe that Shane Ross has launched a 'toothless' non-statutory inquiry :cool:
    Like why :confused:
    Because he came back and talked to Enda?
    They probably decided not to spend good money while Brazil were running with the ball.

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'm very, very concerned by this.

Do we have enough boxes to put everybody back into? Should somebody do a run to Ikea to see if they have some?

Feck Ikea. Ring Michael Smurfit. See if he'll get off the yacht in Monaco and get a few hundred boxes knocked out by next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Where are our politicians demanding his release like that other lad in Egypt?

The so called politicians campaigning for the release of the jihadist sympathizer in Egypt are doing so because it suits their misguided leftist agenda.

Thankfully, so far, Hickey's supporters have only been Golden Circle tw*ts from RTE's upper echelons' like Tubridy and Duffy. Both of whom the general public have seen through a long, long time ago.... And Howlin who doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ABC101 wrote: »
    Very interesting article in the Phoenix magazine this week.

Basically proposing that it is a set up.....as Pat Hickey is too close to Eastern Europe and Russia in particular. So certain forces are out to get him.

There were suggestions in various media for a total ban on Russia as punishment for doping at Sochi. Pat Hickey defended Russia to stay in the Rio Olympics.

But what is in it for the Brazilians?

Jesus I like Phoenix but that story seems too far fetched. Id prefer going with Hickey snubbing Romario when he wanted a meeting to plan how ordinary Brazilians and schoolchildren were going to get tickets. Hickey pissed off Romario, then THG (with Hickeys son Stephen working there) get caught touting at the 2014 World Cup. Romario didnt forget and had informed the police about Hickey who were keeping an eye on him. And rightly so as it turns out.
    Here it is:

• For a man of such talent (he can run anything according to Denis), the OCI are criminally underusing him
    • The FAI had a relationship with THG before the OCI did. Did John not mention this, or did nobody ask him at the time they got the rights to sell tickets for London & Sochi
    • The three lads running Pro10 are football men. Presumably John has met them before? Again, would nobody in the OCI have thought to ask John about them?

Id like to ask Delaney why he was copied on loads of emails from Hickey if, as he is claiming, he had no role on the Council executive. Is he seriously expecting us to believe he had no part to play in the OCI, given he has been anointed to take it over?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id like to ask Delaney why he was copied on loads of emails from Hickey if, as he is claiming, he had no role on the Council executive. Is he seriously expecting us to believe he had no part to play in the OCI, given he has been anointed to take it over?

I'd like to ask him why he decided not to travel to Brazil. It sure isn't like Johnny boy to pass up the opportunity of hanging with the glitterati.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    mzungu wrote: »
    I'd like to ask him why he decided not to travel to Brazil. It sure isn't like Johnny boy to pass up the opportunity of hanging with the glitterati.

I'm sure he'll be in the Bath or some other hostelry round Lansdowne on Wednesday night after the Oman match

We might get some answers from him after he's had a few pints

I'm sure he'll be in the Bath or some other hostelry round Lansdowne on Wednesday night after the Oman match

We might get some answers from him after he's had a few pints

Maybe a few rebel tunes too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

JD's new party piece.

Maybe a few rebel tunes too!!

I'm sure he knows a few about men being locked up in a jurisdiction they dont recognize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I think Harlequins have some blood capsules left over from 2009. Because Charlie is going to meet the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wifey should be in jail herself for trying to pervert the course of justice by lying about the whereabouts of Tricky Hickey

Some fcukin neck on her to start making demands that the government step in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think Harlequins have some blood capsules left over from 2009. Because Charlie is going to meet the family.

Let Charlie meet the family. Let him take them all out for dinner and a movie. But whilst he should be overseeing the consular issues, he should not be interfering in the case. I doubt the Brazilians will pay him much heed anyhow.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wifey should be in jail herself for trying to pervert the course of justice by lying about the whereabouts of Tricky Hickey

Some fcukin neck on her to start making demands that the government step in
    Just because your missus would quickly point out your whereabouts if the police ever asked!

kbannon wrote: »
    Just because your missus would quickly point out your whereabouts if the police ever asked!

The conniving bitch was caught lying to police. The fact that any idiot politician would give into her subsequent demands speaks volumes about them.

• Advertisement

Christ he must be busy. I presume he's personally met with the families of each the other 1,500 Irish people detained abroad so far this year too? 6 or 7 families a day, 7 days a week. How does he have time for anything else?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/minister-flanagan-agrees-to-meet-extremely-concerned-hickey-family-751630.html

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a letter to write.

Christ he must be busy. I presume he's personally met with the families of each the other 1,500 Irish people detained abroad so far this year too? 6 or 7 families a day, 7 days a week. How does he have time for anything else?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/minister-flanagan-agrees-to-meet-extremely-concerned-hickey-family-751630.html

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a letter to write.
    Sweet Jebus! :eek:

There aren't 1500 Irish people detained abroad! Consular assistance can be for anything. Like injuries, passport issues, visa issues, the list is endless.

Sweet Jebus! :eek:

There aren't 1500 Irish people detained abroad! Consular assistance can be for anything. Like injuries, passport issues, visa issues, the list is endless.

Doesn't matter. I insist that he meets the families of each and every one of them :p

"So Mrs Murphy, I hear young Joe twisted his ankle in Marbella. Just checking if you'd like a meeting with the Minister. He bought an ankle strap in the chemist? That's great."

"Mr Doyle, it seems your father misplaced his passport but found it later in the hotel safe. Again. Well, just checking if you'd like to meet the Minister? 3pm tomorrow, grand so."

The conniving bitch was caught lying to police. The fact that any idiot politician would give into her subsequent demands speaks volumes about them.
    I know you are clearly carrying baggage from when your missus ratted you out to the cops for speeding, but the wonderful Brazilian cops didn't think she had done enough wrong to detain her, or even to... ahem... 'pay a fine to a local charity'. ;)

Or something...

Doesn't matter. I insist that he meets the families of each and every one of them :p

"So Mrs Murphy, I hear young Joe twisted his ankle in Marbella. Just checking if you'd like a meeting with the Minister. He bought an ankle strap in the chemist? That's great."

"Mr Doyle, it seems your father misplaced his passport but found it later in the hotel safe. Again. Well, just checking if you'd like to meet the Minister? 3pm tomorrow, grand so."
    Lol

For a moment there I was aghast at the thought of that many Irish people in jail abroad and why I hadn't heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Anything incriminating about Delaney will be kept out of the media outlets controlled by the man who pays the wages of the national football team manager, I suppose.

He has already issued solicitor's letters today - to The Journal and The Examiner, among others, I believe. :rolleyes:

this is the bit that really struck me

suggested? could be asked? I'm predicting great success for that investigation

Same old, same old! Haven't we been down this road before? Wasn't Delaney to appear before the PAC at one stage? That never materialised.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    He has already issued solicitor's letters today - to The Journal and The Examiner, among others, I believe. :rolleyes:
    And the Indo.

But to be fair, everybody should be sending solicitor's letters to those rags, just on general principles. :)

I know you are clearly carrying baggage from when your missus ratted you out to the cops for speeding, but the wonderful Brazilian cops didn't think she had done enough wrong to detain her, or even to... ahem... 'pay a fine to a local charity'. ;)

Or something...

I don't care what the Brazilian cops decided. The conniving old bint attempted to pervert the course of justice and is now demanding meetings with the leader of this country in order to have her very likely crooked husband shown special treatment.

As I said, some neck on her and the rest of the self-entitled family.

If auld Pat had done nothing wrong, and had no reason to worry then why would the lying bitch of a wife claim that he had gone home while he was holed up and in hiding in a hotel room? They demand bail for a guy that undeniably attempted to avoid arrest and flee before police could speak to him.

The fact that any minister would agree to meet with her is laughable. Completely devoid of any gumption, which is understandable as far as Flanagan is concerned. Apple didn't fall far from the tree there.

Here it is:

So many questions! But will anyone here in Ireland ask them? Guess we need the Brazilians to find out the answers. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Kat1170

He should think himself lucky he wasn't arrested in Egypt. :mad:

Lol

For a moment there I was aghast at the thought of that many Irish people in jail abroad and why I hadn't heard of them.

There are about 1,000 Irish people in jail abroad, but they haven't all started their sentences in 2016. The number of "consular assistance" cases is similar to the estimated number of Irish people in prison in other countries (majority in the UK, another big number in the US), which is why my brain leaped to linking the two :)

No-one actually keeps track of the number. There's a voluntary organisation, ICPO that provides some assistance.

They also provide helpful "Know before you go" posters. The one for America points out that "Any craic?" means something different over there, and possession of class A drugs could lead to a lengthy jail sentence. That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There are about 1,000 Irish people in jail abroad, but they haven't all started their sentences in 2016. The number of "consular assistance" cases is similar to the estimated number of Irish people in prison in other countries (majority in the UK, another big number in the US), which is why my brain leaped to linking the two :)

No-one actually keeps track of the number. There's a voluntary organisation, ICPO that provides some assistance.

They also provide helpful "Know before you go" posters. The one for America points out that "Any craic?" means something different over there, and possession of class A drugs could lead to a lengthy jail sentence. That's it.

how many got 50 odd visits ?

Poor Pat. Maybe with all the spare time he now has he's had a moment to think of all the people who ended up in devastating conditions in Azerbaijani prisons to facilitate his grubby little project in Baku... https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/06/16/azerbaijans-european-games-giving-sport-bad-name

Amazing that we are expected to sympathise with him when he happily ignored this kind of flagrant abuse of human rights in Azerbaijan, Sochi, Beijing... Hickey epitomises the cancerous decay of the Olympic ideals. My only problem is he's in prison for the most inconsequential nonsense, ticket touting, instead of his complicity in state repression and the crushing of dissent in multiple countries. In a just world he'd be locked away until his death. Sadly hell never actually face justice for what he's been involved in and neither will anyone wise, so we're stuck with this Mickey mouse bull**** about tickets.

This is what gets me when the likes of Tubridy, Duffy, Coleman and those two muppets on Newstalk this evening, Larry Donnelly and Dave
    McIntyre, come out shilling for Hickey!! When I heard McIntyre sympathising with the plight of a poor seventy-one year old man shut up in
    a prison under those awful conditions, saying how we wouldn't like it if our father or grandfather were treated the same way:rolleyes:, I almost
    burst a blood vessel!! I see this as karma, (just like Rory does!) for Hickey's involvement with some of the worst despots in Eastern
    Europe. He's bloody lucky he is not banged up in one of their prisons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't care what the Brazilian cops decided. The conniving old bint attempted to pervert the course of justice and is now demanding meetings with the leader of this country in order to have her very likely crooked husband shown special treatment.

As I said, some neck on her and the rest of the self-entitled family.

If auld Pat had done nothing wrong, and had no reason to worry then why would the lying bitch of a wife claim that he had gone home while he was holed up and in hiding in a hotel room? They demand bail for a guy that undeniably attempted to avoid arrest and flee before police could speak to him.

The fact that any minister would agree to meet with her is laughable. Completely devoid of any gumption, which is understandable as far as Flanagan is concerned. Apple didn't fall far from the tree there.

What a diatribe against a person that even the Brazilian police agree has nothing to answer .

The officials of every sporting organisation in this country have known well how to treat themselves for decades in this country . Even John Tracey and the past President of the GAA flew first class to Bejing - such has always been the case .

Mrs Hickey isn't the problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I'm surprised this thread didn't the the legal smack down!

The Journal is of this parish isn't it?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    This is what gets me when the likes of Tubridy, Duffy, Coleman and those two muppets on Newstalk this evening, Larry Donnelly and Dave
    McIntyre, come out shilling for Hickey!! When I heard McIntyre sympathising with the plight of a poor seventy-one year old man shut up in
    a prison under those awful conditions, saying how we wouldn't like it if our father or grandfather were treated the same way:rolleyes:, I almost
    burst a blood vessel!! I see this as karma, (just like Rory does!) for Hickey's involvement with some of the worst despots in Eastern
    Europe. He's bloody lucky he is not banged up in one of their prisons!!
    Seriously, why would you be bursting a blood vessel? People must disagree with you every day of the week, you can't burst blood vessels every time that happens.

Their opinions are irrelevant, nobody in Brazil will give a hoot.

No doubt he suspected what was coming down the line when Mallon was arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

marienbad wrote: »
    What a diatribe against a person that even the Brazilian police agree has nothing to answer .

The officials of every sporting organisation in this country have known well how to treat themselves for decades in this country . Even John Tracey and the past President of the GAA flew first class to Bejing - such has always been the case .

Mrs Hickey isn't the problem .

The GAA President has to change every three years. When a sporting organisation allows 'Presidents' to hold office for as long as 30 years or more, that's when you get the problems.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

buried wrote: »
    The GAA President has to change every three years. When a sporting organisation allows 'Presidents' to hold office for as long as 30 years or more, that's when you get the problems.

If only it were that easy ....

Advertisement