Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ABC101 wrote: »
    Very interesting article in the Phoenix magazine this week.

Basically proposing that it is a set up.....as Pat Hickey is too close to Eastern Europe and Russia in particular. So certain forces are out to get him.

There were suggestions in various media for a total ban on Russia as punishment for doping at Sochi. Pat Hickey defended Russia to stay in the Rio Olympics.

But what is in it for the Brazilians?

The conspiratorial part of my brain briefly gave consideration to this notion during the week. In other words the IOC felt Hickey was getting too big for his boots and so they sold him out for maybe a huge bung to the Brazilian police. In turn the Brazilian police would turn a blind eye to the wider corruption, on the part of the bigger nations.

The overwhelming evidence points to Hickey being a crook who was on the take. All the evidence presented so far implies he was a willing participant in a touting operation.

Just listened back to the full Liveline interview and still trying to take it in. Duffy seemed to assume the status of a Stasi officer with something to prove. For a man who purports to be the pulse of the nation he made a massive miscalculation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

brooke 2 wrote: »
    No doubt he suspected what was coming down the line when Mallon was arrested.

Indeed. However, I really want to know what sort of mickey mouse excuse he will have. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

marienbad wrote: »
    What a diatribe against a person that even the Brazilian police agree has nothing to answer .

The officials of every sporting organisation in this country have known well how to treat themselves for decades in this country . Even John Tracey and the past President of the GAA flew first class to Bejing - such has always been the case .

Mrs Hickey isn't the problem .

I'd have no issue with Treacy or a president of the GAA travelling to the Olympics and I wouldn't begrudge them flying an 11hr flight first class. It's part of Treacy's remit I would imagine with his position and I would be quite sure he doesn't take the p_ss. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't attending these events and I would guess as part of his job they pose as many inconveniences and issues as fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I'd have no issue with Treacy or a president of the GAA travelling to the Olympics and I wouldn't begrudge them flying an 11hr flight first class. It's part of Treacy's remit I would imagine with his position and I would be quite sure he doesn't take the p_ss. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't attending these events and I would guess as part of his job they pose as many inconveniences and issues as fun times.

Yeah well I do have a problem with them flying first class ( always) particularly as the athletes don't . I have no problem with them going to the Olympics .

It is a problem in every sport and the sense of entitlement from most of the 'blazers' is truly awe inspiring

Pat Hickey is just a more arrogant and obnoxious example of the species

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

John Treacy?

Have a read up on the appointment of the Swim Ireland CEO and his role in that. It cost the association a fortune.

• Advertisement

Yeah well I do have a problem with them flying first class ( always) particularly as the athletes don't . I have no problem with them going to the Olympics .

It is a problem in every sport and the sense of entitlement from most of the 'blazers' is truly awe inspiring

Pat Hickey is just a more arrogant and obnoxious example of the species

You should ask the athletes themselves, they are a different breed to some over paid soccer players. I would imagine you could be surprised by the response and I don't think Treacy and said ex GAA president fly, flew first class on every occasion.

You should ask the athletes themselves, they are a different breed to some over paid soccer players. I would imagine you could be surprised by the response and I don't think Treacy and said ex GAA president fly, flew first class on every occasion.

I don't want to boil it down to John Tracey and the GAA man , in general most of the top officials and lot of the lesser ones fly first class all the time where as the athletes never do .

And not just at the Olympics , but also at the various world and European championships . Officialdom always stay in top hotels , no matter how small the sport where as athletes regularly don't , sometime they stay in schools or hostels or some such.

And just as an aside seeing as you brought it up , the soccer players are not overpaid , 60'000 people pack in to Old Trafford, Camp Nou etc to see Messi , Ibrahimovic and not the Glazers or Bartomeu .

I don't want to boil it down to John Tracey and the GAA man , in general most of the top officials and lot of the lesser ones fly first class all the time where as the athletes never do .

And not just at the Olympics , but also at the various world and European championships . Officialdom always stay in top hotels , no matter how small the sport where as athletes regularly don't , sometime they stay in schools or hostels or some such.

And just as an aside seeing as you brought it up , the soccer players are not overpaid , 60'000 people pack in to Old Trafford, Camp Nou etc to see Messi , Ibrahimovic and not the Glazers or Bartomeu .

You see I think this is part of a big problem. We see soccer players making obscene amounts of money and justify it yet condemn the likes of bankers and others for equally obscene amounts. Very little negative sentiment on Messi's tax affairs for example. ...incidentally I was one of those athletes staying with a host family when the Blazers if that's what you want to call them stayed at a hotel. Not sure any were wearing a blazer but anyhow. ...I get your point and my situation was less than ideal but I think you have overreacted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

I've only read the last 2 pages of this thread so don't know if it has already been addressed but how had PH got 2 passports?

You see I think this is part of a big problem. We see soccer players making obscene amounts of money and justify it yet condemn the likes of bankers and others for equally obscene amounts. Very little negative sentiment on Messi's tax affairs for example. ...incidentally I was one of those athletes staying with a host family when the Blazers if that's what you want to call them stayed at a hotel. Not sure any were wearing a blazer but anyhow. ...I get your point and my situation was less than ideal but I think you have overreacted here.

I haven't over reacted at all , you brought soccer players into it , I just think it is a lazy argument , why not bring up US sports some of whom are paid far more , or Hollywood actors - it is irrelevant .

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    I've only read the last 2 pages of this thread so don't know if it has already been addressed but how had PH got 2 passports?
    Because it's allowed. http://bfy.tw/7Pos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Aidric wrote: »
    The conspiratorial part of my brain briefly gave consideration to this notion during the week. In other words the IOC felt Hickey was getting too big for his boots and so they sold him out for maybe a huge bung to the Brazilian police. In turn the Brazilian police would turn a blind eye to the wider corruption, on the part of the bigger nations.

The overwhelming evidence points to Hickey being a crook who was on the take. All the evidence presented so far implies he was a willing participant in a touting operation.

Just listened back to the full Liveline interview and still trying to take it in. Duffy seemed to assume the status of a Stasi officer with something to prove. For a man who purports to be the pulse of the nation he made a massive miscalculation.

Well,, it might be better to refer to Pat Hickey as a modern day Charlie Haughey!

We may never get to know the full truth, yes perhaps there is unprofessional conduct on behalf of Mr Hickey, but it is not as if he was importing Chrystal Meth or WMD!

But we do know he was close to Eastern Europe nations, hob nobbed with Mr Putin and defended Russia to be in the Rio Olympics.

That obviously did not agree with certain interests.....who knows perhaps the Brazilians did not want Russia in the Olympics and are now settling a score or two with Hickey?

Either way.... I think Hickey is going to be in Brazil for a very long time explaining. I do not envy him at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Seriously, why would you be bursting a blood vessel? People must disagree with you every day of the week, you can't burst blood vessels every time that happens.

Their opinions are irrelevant, nobody in Brazil will give a hoot.

Everyday more and more people are asking questions about the treatment of Pat Hickey by the Brazilian authorities and it doesn't suit his agenda. That's why he's bursting a blood vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

CFlat wrote: »
    Everyday more and more people are asking questions about the treatment of Pat Hickey by the Brazilian authorities and it doesn't suit his agenda. That's why he's bursting a blood vessel.

Meanwhile, I've given up on you answering my questions, which don't suit your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Well there are some eejits on RTE and Hickey's lawyer and Hickey's missus and other members of Hickey's immediate family and ? and ? and ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Wifey should be in jail herself for trying to pervert the course of justice by lying about the whereabouts of Tricky Hickey

Some fcukin neck on her to start making demands that the government step in

Tricky Hickey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Really? The only people asking questions about Hickey's treatment are his lawyers and family, as far as I can see. And certain
    parties in the media who have been shilling for him from Day 1. Joe Duffy's effort, on Liveline yesterday, has elicited a lot of
    disquiet, not to mention, anger from the listeners. You should take a look at the thread, it might open your eyes as to how
    the ordinary 'man in the street' really feels about Hickey's treatment. Not too much sympathy for someone who can so easily
    consort with the totalitarian ruler of a country where people's rights and liberties are flouted every day. Pat Hickey should be
    thanking his lucky stars that he was not thrown into prison in Azerbaijan. As stated previously, he did not cast a thought for
    the innocent people rotting in his despotic pal's jails when he organised the European Olympic Games in 2015. Injustice is so
    rampant in Azerbaijan, that none of the European leaders would attend the Opening Ceremony there, apart from Putin, of
    course, whom Hickey regards as 'family', I believe. Tells you all you need to know, really!!

Well there are some eejits on RTE and Hickey's lawyer and Hickey's missus and other members of Hickey's immediate family and ? and ? and ????

A few on Newstalk also, I'm afraid! Have you heard Shane Coleman??
    He wouldn't even read out the texts the other morning, only saying that
    a lot of people 'out there' don't like Pat Hickey! He actually sounded rather
    perplexed!!

Yea, I'd say RTE have Joe Duffy's P45 ready for him as we speak.

Seriously Brook 2 do you honestly think a thread on Boards is an indicator of how the majority people feel in this country about Pat Hickey? I mean are you joking me or what? If you think that, you're deluded.

perplexed!!

I heard Shane Coleman that morning and he didn't say he wouldn't read them out, he said he couldn't. Huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

perplexed!!

I don't listen to Newstalk much but Shane Coleman does sound like a chap in touch with the zeitgeist, maybe i need to tune in more ;)

I don't listen to Newstalk much but Shane Coleman does sound like a chap in touch with the zeitgeist, maybe i need to tune in more ;)

Well if you think that Mrs. Hickey and her lawyer are the only people who are talking about how badly treated Pat Hickey has been, it mightn't be a bad plan to do that. Maybe leave this thread for a while and get a real barometer of what's going on out there. You know, real people, not angry anonymous people on the internet;)

Yea, I'd say RTE have Joe Duffy's P45 ready for him as we speak.

Seriously Brook 2 do you honestly think a thread on Boards is an indicator of how the majority people feel in this country about Pat Hickey? I mean are you joking me or what? If you think that, you're deluded.

Where have you been hiding for the past few weeks? I only referred to a thread on Boards because we happen to be on it at the moment. Go onto Politics.ie OR any of the comments after articles in the papers OR texts into various radio programmes (when they are read out, that is! Shane Coleman refused to read out the ones which came into his programme the other morning because he 'couldn't', remarking that a lot of people 'out there' really don't like Pat Hickey.)
    You really need to be more alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

nc6000 wrote: »

I'm fairly sure that's a file photo. But will anyone here (other than may Lormal) be surprised at this?
    emails include one from Mr Evans where he apparently asks Mr Hickey for his views on a proposed response to the scandal from Irish ticket agent Pro10 Sports Management, even though Pro10 is not part of Mr Evan’s global sports hospitality group, THG.

I haven't over reacted at all , you brought soccer players into it , I just think it is a lazy argument , why not bring up US sports some of whom are paid far more , or Hollywood actors - it is irrelevant .

My bringing soccer players into it was because of my thinking that your sentiment was perhaps influenced by the views of a prominent soccer player in 2002 rather than based on real experiences that you may have had. That is a problem I have with a lot of contributions on this thread. Many are basing their opinions on what has been presented to them through the media rather than familiarity with situations or having actual facts. I say that as someone who suspects Hickey is not innocent in this along with others. ...and btw, soccer, particularly soccer agents who most likely contribute to soccer players receiving obscene amounts, whilst destroying the careers of others, are very relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Many are basing their opinions on what has been presented to them through the media rather than familiarity with situations or having actual facts.

People can only ever base their opinions on whatever information they have to hand and for many here that will be what has been presented in the media.

As this is a discussion forum they will then discuss those opinions and in doing so, hopefully they will pick up new and relevant information from others and be open to evolving that opinion as they establish more of the "facts".

A previous poster who had attended a number of games had a similar point to make as you. Ie. They know better and suggested everyone else should stop commenting from a position of ignorance. The problem with adopting that position is, firstly it assumes you have ALL the facts which of course you don't and secondly that only those who have attended or competed can contribute which is of course also nonsense.

While attending or competing may well give you some extra insight and perspective into what has led to this mess, it doesn't make you any more of an expert then the next guy and it doesn't mean everyone else should stop discussing it. You probably have some interesting insights to share and I for one would love to gain that insight but that won't happen unless everyone has the opportunity to discuss and learn.

nc6000 wrote: »

Wow, Hickey and Evans comparing/approving versions of OCI, Pro10 and THG statements and giving feedback to each other. :eek:

Hickey says to Evans 'I take it that [...] is happy with it too?'
    Wonder who [..] is....Mallon?

Also would love to know who Hickeys 'Key' people in the media are.

No wonder his family are trying and succeeding to divert attention to his 'poor conditions'. Tricky Hickey is up to his neck it it, no doubt the 'key media' are giving this less attention than him being fillumbed for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Tricky Hickey is up to his neck it it, no doubt the 'key media' are giving this less attention than him being fillumbed for a few mins.

The filming thing really annoys me. How dumb are people. They do that for their own protection and it's a good tactic.

Hickey can't accuse them of all sorts re the arrest because they have the video evidence to disprove it. Imagine if he had and there was no video. The very same people would be howling that their denials are meaningless and they should have videoed it

Arresting him first thing is standard practice as the suspect is at his most disorientated state having just woken. Time he's most likely to say something he shouldn't. Then they have the video evidence to record it

• Advertisement

Wow, Hickey and Evans comparing/approving versions of OCI, Pro10 and THG statements and giving feedback to each other. :eek:

Hickey says to Evans 'I take it that [...] is happy with it too?'
    Wonder who [..] is....Mallon?

Also would love to know who Hickeys 'Key' people in the media are.

No wonder his family are trying and succeeding to divert attention to his 'poor conditions'. Tricky Hickey is up to his neck it it, no doubt the 'key media' are giving this less attention than him being fillumbed for a few mins.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but Evans was involved the minute that Mallon was arrested. It wouldn't be that surprising that he'd be intouch with Hickey... to get their stories straight :D

Jadaol wrote: »
    The filming thing really annoys me. How dumb are people. They do that for their own protection and it's a good tactic.

Hickey can't accuse them of all sorts re the arrest because they have the video evidence to disprove it. Imagine if he had and there was no video. The very same people would be howling that their denials are meaningless and they should have videoed it

Arresting him first thing is standard practice as the suspect is at his most disorientated state having just woken. Time he's most likely to say something he shouldn't. Then they have the video evidence to record it

Um...police recording matters is one thing. It's done to protect the police and the accused.

Releasing it to the media, or having journalists attend, is another. It led to a big outcry in the UK when journalists were outside Cliff Richard's house before the police.

There was a poll here some months ago and the overwhelming majority said even the name of a suspect should not be released. Including, bizarrely, one or two who posted here, enjoying the scene. Personally, I think it acceptable up to a point, I wouldn't say it's an infringement of rights or anything. Selectively releasing evidence to engage in a PR war is a bit unusual.

Swanner wrote: »
    People can only ever base their opinions on whatever information they have to hand and for many here that will be what has been presented in the media.

As this is a discussion forum they will then discuss those opinions and in doing so, hopefully they will pick up new and relevant information from others and be open to evolving that opinion as they establish more of the "facts".

A previous poster who had attended a number of games had a similar point to make as you. Ie. They know better and suggested everyone else should stop commenting from a position of ignorance. The problem with adopting that position is, firstly it assumes you have ALL the facts which of course you don't and secondly that only those who have attended or competed can contribute which is of course also nonsense.

While attending or competing may well give you some extra insight and perspective into what has led to this mess, it doesn't make you any more of an expert then the next guy and it doesn't mean everyone else should stop discussing it. You probably have some interesting insights to share and I for one would love to gain that insight but that won't happen unless everyone has the opportunity to discuss and learn.

That is a good post and I accept your point of view and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion. I certainly don't have all the facts but some posters who have taken a definite point of view are clearly suggesting that others need to educate themselves with what is reported in the media. I am not suggesting the last poster I quoted is a case in point. I take on board what the media has to contribute too about any subject, but sometimes while sentiment can be correct the facts can be quite different.

There was a poll here some months ago and the overwhelming majority said even the name of a suspect should not be released. Including, bizarrely, one or two who posted here, enjoying the scene. Personally, I think it acceptable up to a point, I wouldn't say it's an infringement of rights or anything. Selectively releasing evidence to engage in a PR war is a bit unusual.
    Well we have a very recent example of the Brazilians releasing selective video images to effectively make a case in the media that wasn't exactly true.

The case of the US swimmers and their contention that the 'security guards' had produced a badge or badges and pointed a gun or guns at them, wasn't borne out by the released CCTV images. But USA Today looked at the video and spoke to witnesses and said that this did actually happen.

Um...police recording matters is one thing. It's done to protect the police and the accused.

Releasing it to the media, or having journalists attend, is another. It led to a big outcry in the UK when journalists were outside Cliff Richard's house before the police.

I don't know why it was released/leaked - was it the police? I am more annoyed by people talking about the humiliation etc. Big whoopy do.

I would agree that info shouldn't be released until a person is charged.

Once they're charged i think proceedings and evidence should be fully reported on.

My bringing soccer players into it was because of my thinking that your sentiment was perhaps influenced by the views of a prominent soccer player in 2002 rather than based on real experiences that you may have had. That is a problem I have with a lot of contributions on this thread. Many are basing their opinions on what has been presented to them through the media rather than familiarity with situations or having actual facts. I say that as someone who suspects Hickey is not innocent in this along with others. ...and btw, soccer, particularly soccer agents who most likely contribute to soccer players receiving obscene amounts, whilst destroying the careers of others, are very relevant to this thread.

You are just making too many assumptions at this stage , my comments are based on first hand experience garnered at attending Olympics and world championships , International matches of various sports for many years .

Now you have moved away from soccer players to soccer agents ! What next ? Have you a problem with soccer ?

• Advertisement

Just playing devil's advocate here, but Evans was involved the minute that Mallon was arrested. It wouldn't be that surprising that he'd be intouch with Hickey... to get their stories straight :D

Evans and Hickey were involved well before Mallon got arrested.
    Getting their 'stories' straight indeed.

Why isn't anybody in the Hickey camp saying he is innocent? Why not quantify their position on his involvement. Just find it strange they are making a big song and dance about the conditions of his arrest and not at least making comment about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bmc1895

Having spent a lot of time in Rio I can tell you the releasing of footage from crime scenes/arrests is nothing strange over there and happens every week (really awful stuff aswell)

If you don't like it don't go there, especially if your trying to break the law in their moment of glory so to speak .

I also can not remember any outrage when the same thing happened to Micheal Lynn or Christy Kinnahan in Spain

Jadaol wrote: »
    I would agree that info shouldn't be released until a person is charged.

Once they're charged i think proceedings and evidence should be fully reported on.

Different system to the Irish one. He's technically been charged by the police, as can happen in many countries. It's annoying that the Irish Times keeps saying that he hasn't been charged. He has. He just hasn't been charged following the Irish rules.

He won't be given the option of the poor box either, as there isn't one in the Brazilian system. :p (OT, but the poor box thing is bizarre to someone who encountered that concept later in life.)

Evans and Hickey were involved well before Mallon got arrested.
    Getting their 'stories' straight indeed.

Why isn't anybody in the Hickey camp saying he is innocent? Why not quantify their position on his involvement. Just find it strange they are making a big song and dance about the conditions of his arrest and not at least making comment about this.
    Well as other people have pointed out, even on this page, the law is different here on how suspects are treated. So it's usual to not comment on people's guilt or innocence before a trial verdict.

You are just making too many assumptions at this stage , my comments are based on first hand experience garnered at attending Olympics and world championships , International matches of various sports for many years .

Now you have moved away from soccer players to soccer agents ! What next ? Have you a problem with soccer ?

I have nothing against soccer. Yes I have assumed that there is involvement from some in the soccer fraternity in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The soccer 'agent' crack is really dirty. Just heard briefly on the radio about players turning up to sign at a club and his 'agent' introduces himself, whom the player has never seen in his life.
    I know its slightly off topic but shows the pool Evans & co swim in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.kmj.ie/about-us.html
    Anne Marie James qualified as a solicitor twenty five years ago. She has an honours law degree from UCD. Shortly after completing her apprenticeship she became a partner in the firm then known as McKeown James. Her background is litigation but as her client base became more commercial Anne Marie began to provide a wrap around service for some of the largest Irish companies specialising in mergers and acquisitions and employment law. Anne Marie ran the firm on her own after Colum McKeown's retirement until the merger between McKeown James and Kirwan & Company in January 2004.

As secretary of the Irish Brokers Association Anne Marie has a specialised knowledge of the Insurance sector and has acted in many sales and purchases of brokerages bringing her knowledge of the industry and sales of family businesses to the fore. She has written extensively on the subject in trade and professional magazines and provided workshops to associations advising of the implications and most efficient ways to acquire or dispose of a business.

Anne Marie majored in Labour Law so her interest still lies in the commercial litigation side where she continues to act on employment and commercial issues and has had great success in the Commercial Court in recent times chasing investments which have not been properly run, most recent settlement being in the order of €3.1 million acting for over Plaintiffs. Anne Marie is also a trained mediator and cherishes the art of negotiation. She says it has come as a shock, when her children negotiate back with her even on simple requests. Why are we not surprised?

Doesn't seem like a profile suited to the human rights abuses being listed on poor Pat:D

Ps if his heart condition is so serious, why did he fly to Rio: long flight, DVT, etc...oh, it was first class, no DVT up there!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Well we have a very recent example of the Brazilians releasing selective video images to effectively make a case in the media that wasn't exactly true.

The case of the US swimmers and their contention that the 'security guards' had produced a badge or badges and pointed a gun or guns at them, wasn't borne out by the released CCTV images. But USA Today looked at the video and spoke to witnesses and said that this did actually happen.

I'm not sure what the Brazilian police were trying to achieve, but the fact is they never tried to claim a gun wasn't produced at the service station. They accepted this happened from the outset. I don't think there was any issue about the badges being produced either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ps if his heart condition is so serious, why did he fly to Rio: long flight, DVT, etc...oh, it was first class, no DVT up there!

stop attacking the poor old man hasn't he suffered enough

its not the way we do things over here

you really need to start paying attention to the "media"

Different system to the Irish one. He's technically been charged by the police, as can happen in many countries. It's annoying that the Irish Times keeps saying that he hasn't been charged. He has. He just hasn't been charged following the Irish rules.

He won't be given the option of the poor box either, as there isn't one in the Brazilian system. :p (OT, but the poor box thing is bizarre to someone who encountered that concept later in life.)

Didn't know that. Thought he would only be officially charged at the next court date. Then fire away - release the video etc. Nothing to stop poor oul' pat releasing his own evidence to counter and fully cooperate with the police. Unless of course he can't..................

You're right, that's really annoying when i haven't read anywhere that he's been charged yet and he has!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As much a I hate to say it and while the article is obviously bereft of any real facts on the case... I do think this piece in yesterday's mirror sums up the mood of the nation perfectly...

Remember when Enda promised us a new dawn and an end to corruption in this state.. And yet all we've had since is a whole lot more of the same..

And that's only what we know about...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/pat-flanagan-you-cant-blame-8709789#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Truth be told, for most people I suspect this isn't really about Hickey at all.. It's about witnessing some form of justice being served on one of our untouchable elites. Maybe we should ship them all out to Brazil or better still, adopt a Brazilian style justice system here.

But of course Turkey's will never vote for Christmas so it's a case of as you were gentlemen, nothing to see here..

Weird. I looked up Hickey's solicitor in Brazil, Simone Kamenetz. She appears a lot in the English-language media, but there isn't a single mention of her in Portuguese-language media about the case. Not one.

I did find her website though. In case anyone is interested, she specialises in: arbitration, Corporate Law, contracts, real estate, corporate compliance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate business succession and corporate/commercial litigation.

I guess she must be used to dealing with fraudsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Weird. I looked up Hickey's solicitor in Brazil, Simone Kamenetz. She appears a lot in the English-language media, but there isn't a single mention of her in Portuguese-language media about the case. Not one.

I did find her website though. In case anyone is interested, she specialises in: arbitration, Corporate Law, contracts, real estate, corporate compliance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate business succession and corporate/commercial litigation.

I guess she must be used to dealing with fraudsters.

But what about all those human rights abuses and general indignites that are being visited upon poor frail Pat? Surely someone who stands up for the persecuted and oppressed would be better fitted to this case?

Unless he's being treated exactly as everyone else is in the system over there, and he's going to fight his defense on minutiae of contract law on ticketing agreements...

I'm not sure what the Brazilian police were trying to achieve, but the fact is they never tried to claim a gun wasn't produced at the service station. They accepted this happened from the outset. I don't think there was any issue about the badges being produced either.
    No, they didn't say anything about the guns or the badges, they left that out. They maintained that the swimmers filed a false police report and gave out a narrative that did not include some of the things that the swimmers said and that actually happened. They also alleged damage at the service station that photographs show wasn't done. Specifically, damage to the bathroom that none of the released cctv images show the swimmers entering or even going near despite the fact that a camera was pointing directly at it.

There was damage to a sign and everyone agrees (including witnesses and the swimmers) that Lochte did that damage. This is what they were made pay for on the spot and a Brazilian witness helped broker that deal as he said the swimmers clearly didn't understand the language and what was being asked of them.

It's not as clear cut as is being made out and the 'negotiations' that led to Jimmy Feigen being released leave a lot to be desired.

buried wrote: »
    The GAA President has to change every three years. When a sporting organisation allows 'Presidents' to hold office for as long as 30 years or more, that's when you get the problems.

Indeed it does but the GAA has its own issues. Its far from the bastion of ethics and morals. Take Frank Murphy down in Cork who has been involved with the County board since Adam was a boy. His official title is secretary but Frank is considered 'The Don' by many with good reason.

My own county has their fair share of boyos too but at least football and hurling are in a good state within the county i suppose so thats something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement