Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I think it would be very standard to seek to have one process delayed until the criminal process is finished so the findings do not prejudice the outcome in the forum where serious sanctions can be handed down. That's not to say it has to happen, but a Solicitor for an accused would very often look for it.

I'm sure Pat has nothing to worry about and that the report wholly exonerates him. Sure it can only help him that being the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Tricky Hickey is on his way home.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1116/832284-hickey-brazil-court/

Let's hope he gets well soon. Well enough to go back to Brazil to clear his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

So that's how it will end.
    He'll never go back and the bond will be forfeited.
    Both sides know that.
    I have 2 questions:

1. Who will pay his bond? OCI, IOC or himself personally?
    2. When will he appear on the Late Late spinning his side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Too sick for a trial, but I bet he'll be doing a few circuits of the media the instant he steps off the flight.

It's sad that the Brazilians caved and allowed him to return home. I really thought this was going to play out differently but I guess they lost the stomach for a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I take it your man Mallon has to stay though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Presumably as soon as he's back he'll be telling all and sundry that he would just love to clear his name, but unfortunately there would be no possibility of a fair trial in Brazil and so he must regretfully renege on his promise to return there to face trial. Also health reasons or something, now, I've a run in the Phoenix Park, ta-ta dahlings.

Then plenty of energetic legal pursuit of anyone who dared cross him when they thought he was on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

It'll be interesting to see who pays the bond. The OCI would have even more egg on their face (if that's at all possible) if Hickey forks out 410k after they paid for his accommodation whilst under house arrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Anyone who followed this thread will remember Paul Kimmage's article that mentioned Hickey's callous treatment of a victim of George Gibney.

It looks like there has been some progress in the enquiry a journalist has been making into the reason Gibney was granted a visa to the US.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/judge-pressures-us-immigration-authorities-to-explain-why-they-let-in-irish-pedophile

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

410k...what a joke, pocket change for him and his ilk. I take it the big money went on greasing palms to get him out and this is what was left.

• Advertisement

R00ster wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see who pays the bond. The OCI would have even more egg on their face (if that's at all possible) if Hickey forks out 410k after they paid for his accommodation whilst under house arrest.

Apparently he gave them a holdall full of tickets for the Tokyo opening ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Presumably as soon as he's back he'll be telling all and sundry that he would just love to clear his name, but unfortunately there would be no possibility of a fair trial in Brazil and so he must regretfully renege on his promise to return there to face trial. Also health reasons or something, now, I've a run in the Phoenix Park, ta-ta dahlings.

Then plenty of energetic legal pursuit of anyone who dared cross him when they thought he was on the way out.

The fear of his large & experienced legal team is obviously a major factor in thejournal's decision not to allow comments on any threads relating to Hickey or the OCI, similar to their disabling of comments on any articles referring to DOB, Michael Lowry, or John Delaney.

I'm surprised boards.ie didn't bow to his threats, or maybe they're simply too low profile to appear on the legal radar??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The MSM - ie. the likes of RTE, Joe Duffy, Tubridy, Indo, Irish Times etc. will orchestrate and actively enforce a permanent blackout regarding Hickey as soon as he returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Considering they have harboured Nazis since the end of second World war, they aren't going to be too worried about extraditing a few lads(if they could) for ALLEGEDLY touting some Olympic tickets. It doesn't cease to amaze me the rancour on this thread about this alledged minor offense, they didn't murder anyone.

Oh and you can be sure that that 410k wont go into revitalising some dilapidated favolas strewn all over cities like Rio and Sao Paulo. A few fat cat judges, lawyers and officials will probably pocket that cash but I'm sure that won't upset the Judge Dreed characters on this thread.

Anyway I'm delighted for his family that he's going to get home and hopefully Frank Mallon will also be released soon too.

Carry on lads, sorry for interrupting.

CFlat wrote: »
    Anyway I'm delighted for his family that he's going to get home and hopefully Frank Mallon will also be released soon too.

Kevin Mallon? As far as I know he's not being held in custody, so it would be hard for him to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If he is so sick what airline will risk bringing him home? Would it not be better for him to come by ship?

If he is so sick what airline will risk bringing him home? Would it not be better for him to come by ship?

Air ambulance probably. Paid for by OCI/IOC/OIC/ICO/COI

Report on RTÉ news last night referring to him on first name basis "When will Pat be home " "Pat won't be home this week anyway " etc etc etc !

First name pals means one thing only "The Late Late Show"

I think he's despicable .....and RTE not far behind if they welcome him home :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Considering they have harboured Nazis since the end of second World war, they aren't going to be too worried about extraditing a few lads(if they could) for ALLEGEDLY touting some Olympic tickets. It doesn't cease to amaze me the rancour on this thread about this alledged minor offense, they didn't murder anyone.

Oh and you can be sure that that 410k wont go into revitalising some dilapidated favolas strewn all over cities like Rio and Sao Paulo. A few fat cat judges, lawyers and officials will probably pocket that cash but I'm sure that won't upset the Judge Dreed characters on this thread.

You must be looking forward to Daddy's return? Soon you'll be reunited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

So the Grant Thornton review cant complete until the Brazilian case does, due to an injunction from Pat.

Pat is now leaving Brazil, therefore the case probably will hang round for a few years going nowhere.

The retired judge can't compel anyone to speak to him.

Pat's going to chair the next OCI meeting, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

You must be looking forward to Daddy's return? Soon you'll be reunited

I am, thanks very much for asking. Your support is important.

I hadn't realised there were so many physicians on Boards and they can diagnose that there's nothing medically wrong with Pat Hickey and him many thousand miles away in Brazil. Just remarkable.

Ticket sales :pac:

...I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am, thanks very much for asking. Your support is important.

I hadn't realised there were so many physicians on Boards and they can diagnose that there's nothing medically wrong with Pat Hickey and him many thousand miles away in Brazil. Just remarkable.

Why can't the doctors in Brazil treat him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Jonathan Irvine described Hickey as 'aPrince' at least 3 times on the SOR show. That just shows the mentality of the people who run business in this country.

ahlookit wrote: »
    So the Grant Thornton review cant complete until the Brazilian case does, due to an injunction from Pat.

Pat is now leaving Brazil, therefore the case probably will hang round for a few years going nowhere.

The retired judge can't compel anyone to speak to him.

Says it all really. Bullseye shot ahlookit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why can't the doctors in Brazil treat him?

Brazilian doctors aren't familiar enough with the anatomy of the typical Irish cutehoor who possess extraordinarily long arms to better scoop up cash with an inversely proportioned sense of memory recall. They can go from long distance running to wheelchair bound invalids with a change of wind direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

ahlookit wrote: »

Well when talking about him on the news they use the phrase "Who has temporarily stepped aside as head of the OCI"!!

• Advertisement

Not from the OCI it seems

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1117/832428-pat-hickey-oci/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

stimpson wrote: »

That is great news. They are finally standing up to him.
    I would not have thought it would be too dificult for him or his cronies to raise the cash but I honestly cannot see him returning to Rio to face justice after he returns to Ireland.

€400k to buy his freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mr Putin his friend, surely come to the rescue.

Surely the thousands of people who sent messages of support to Pat will be only too happy to have a whip round to raise the money

Irwin, is away with the faeries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It's a bit odd that a man as ill as him would go to Rio in the first place with it's 35 degree heat and 80% humidity. Or why the fup he's jetting around the world at 71 years of age...or if he has such a bad heart then why is he out jogging in the Phoenix Park several days a week when any doctor will tell you that a walk would do him just as good.

I'm not a physician, but I do a bit of farming and I know the smell of bullshlt when it's in front of me.

Exclusive picture of Pat Hickey's return to Irish soil from the You Laugh You Lose thread :D

What's the story if hickey refuses to return to Rio. Will the OCI still stump up for his legal costs?.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hickey loses the 410K.[/quote]

Yeah but what about the few 100k apparently already spent? The OCI said they'll pay his fees if he wins. But if he doesn't return to Brazil he's throwing in the towel so PH should be liable for expenses up to this point too I presume?

It's very messy and getting messier. Kinda shows up the lack of talent within the OCI. Especially with Delaney exiting the stage : ).
    No sign of the family solicitor in a while but who needs her when you have the equally deluded Jonathan Irwin wading into the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah but what about the few 100k apparently already spent? The OCI said they'll pay his fees if he wins. But if he doesn't return to Brazil he's throwing in the towel so PH should be liable for expenses up to this point too I presume?

You just know at this stage that Mr and Mrs. G. O'Bshlte-Taxpayer will carry the can for most of it. Sport will continue to suffer, just a bit more than usual.

The usual suspects will polish their brass necks and carry on as if nothing has happened. Some doctor in Dublin will be making a killing writing out sick notes to all and sundry that they can't show up to any enquiry full of pontificating politicians.

I ageree with most of this. The OCI should pay fuk all until the enday of the trial. If hickey looses or refuses to return he should be cut loose. As for delaney jumping ship I think the little bit of integrity the OCI have risen a little.

Jonathan Irwin almost sounds infatuated with Pat Hickey .....(or brainwashed)
    Very strange ......wonder what caused that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I am sure pretty much everyone is with me on this but unsure how to get the campaign off the ground.
    For such a tireless, selfless, and dynamic contributor to Irish sport for decades, this unwillingness by the OCI to help him out is despicable. So I think it necessary to start a public collection and let this poor, ill, and lonely man, far from home, come back to his family, friends, loved ones, and comfort of his own home, as soon as possible.I am sure there would be no shortage of people willing to donate, and we would come up with the €400k pretty quickly. Its just the overall organisation I am worried about, and looking for people with experience in this thing to donate a little of their time to get it off the ground.

I know its not a great time of the year for people with Christmas coming up and all, but I have faith in the good will of the Irish people to bring one of our own home, to enjoy his Chrismas turkey in the comfort of his own home.

Lets make it happen people. (Could we start a pledge thread here on boards.ie maybe ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I am sure pretty much everyone is with me on this but unsure how to get the campaign off the ground.
    For such a tireless, selfless, and dynamic contributor to Irish sport for decades, this unwillingness by the OCI to help him out is despicable. So I think it necessary to start a public collection and let this poor, ill, and lonely man, far from home, come back to his family, friends, loved ones, and comfort of his own home, as soon as possible.I am sure there would be no shortage of people willing to donate, and we would come up with the €400k pretty quickly. Its just the overall organisation I am worried about, and looking for people with experience in this thing to donate a little of their time to get it off the ground.

I know its not a great time of the year for people with Christmas coming up and all, but I have faith in the good will of the Irish people to bring one of our own home, to enjoy his Chrismas turkey in the comfort of his own home.

Lets make it happen people. (Could we start a pledge thread here on boards.ie maybe ?)

Work away...

Sorry, I'm already pledged to my Nigerian friend who sent me an email looking for my help getting his inheritance.

You should get in touch with Aaron Brown, he looked after something similar for Paul Kimmage a few years ago.
    I believe he's in Spain now, but he has expertise in this area that would be well suited to a Pat Hickey fund.

Jonathan Irwin almost sounds infatuated with Pat Hickey .....(or brainwashed)
    Very strange ......wonder what caused that ?

I didn't know much about him other than Jack & Jill, so I just looked him up. His Wikipedia page has a section about his involvement in sports administration:
    Irwin was appointed CEO of the Dublin International Sports Council (DISC) in 1993 under the chairmanship of Dr. Tony O'Reilly. The objective of the DISC was to raise Dublin's profile as a host venue for international sport and to lobby the government to provide facilities of international standard. Projects included the 1994 Women's Hockey World Cup, the 1995 Men's EuroHockey Nations Championship, the 1996 Notre Dame vs U.S. Naval Academy football game, and the first three stages of the 1998 Tour de France in Dublin.I][URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I DISC also produced a research document for Dublin to bid for the 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics.I][URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

So plenty of involvement with Hickey from that gig.

Hmm, I wonder who would have handled ticket sales if Dublin had staged the 2016 Olympics? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'd f'ing love to sit down with a big bag of popcorn and read a "research document for Dublin to bid for the 201 and 2016 Summer Olympics", would be hilarious. How would you even begin to write a serious document based on the premise that, even in our wildest dreams, we could host the Olympics, or even want to host them.

I couldn't find the DISC document, but I found an interesting link: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/dublins-olympic-dreamers-25974680.html which includes some real beauties like an estimate of £215M building the Olympic Village, to house 14,000 athletes/administrators. And instead of building new facilities to house the 26 sports? No problem, just retro fit existing facilities. Sure why doesn't everyone think of that. It's a comedy worthy of Hollywood, maybe Will Ferrell as Gay Mitchell.

• Advertisement

If everyone decided not to buy a turkey for Christmas and pledged the money to the fund we'll hit the target. I'll happily fast for the day, knowing I've done my bit for this servant of Irish sport.

Go fund me is the ideal platform for this :

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=search&term=Dublin&country=IE

Someone on boards must know Christy Moore. I'm sure he could re-word "the wicklow boy" and release it as a fundraiser

Advertisement