Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Red Kev wrote: »
    It's a bit odd that a man as ill as him would go to Rio in the first place with it's 35 degree heat and 80% humidity. Or why the fup he's jetting around the world at 71 years of age...or if he has such a bad heart then why is he out jogging in the Phoenix Park several days a week when any doctor will tell you that a walk would do him just as good.

I'm not a physician, but I do a bit of farming and I know the smell of bullshlt when it's in front of me.

I assume if some of your animals get sick you take advice off a vet and not dismiss it because some arbitrary people on the internet tell you that what the vet said is wrong? That's what you and other posters are doing here by implying that PH doesn't have a heart condition despite his medical team saying that he does.

There's a smell around here all right but it's the good Irish smell of begrudgery. Man done well falls on difficult times, the kick him when he's down crowd turn up without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Of course that's all you smell. You're all hunting in packs here after the same scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I am sure pretty much everyone is with me on this but unsure how to get the campaign off the ground.
    For such a tireless, selfless, and dynamic contributor to Irish sport for decades, this unwillingness by the OCI to help him out is despicable. So I think it necessary to start a public collection and let this poor, ill, and lonely man, far from home, come back to his family, friends, loved ones, and comfort of his own home, as soon as possible.I am sure there would be no shortage of people willing to donate, and we would come up with the €400k pretty quickly. Its just the overall organisation I am worried about, and looking for people with experience in this thing to donate a little of their time to get it off the ground.

I know its not a great time of the year for people with Christmas coming up and all, but I have faith in the good will of the Irish people to bring one of our own home, to enjoy his Chrismas turkey in the comfort of his own home.

Lets make it happen people. (Could we start a pledge thread here on boards.ie maybe ?)

Call Brendan O Cackle. He's the patron saint of lost causes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This Saint Patrick has been in the crosshairs of a good few people with a long time and it's not begrudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

He's away with it once he hits Irish soil. Will be back chairing OCI meetings in the new year. All will be forgotten. No questions answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Water John wrote: »
    This Saint Patrick has been in the crosshairs of a good few people with a long time and it's not begrudgery.

According to Irwin today he's the Prince:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

CFlat wrote: »

There's a smell around here all right but it's the good Irish smell of begrudgery. Man done well falls on difficult times, the kick him when he's down crowd turn up without fail.

Other men who did well: Bertie Ahern, CJ Haughey, Michael Lynn, Larry Goodman, Seán Fitzpatrick, Michael Fingleton...

Isn't high insight a great thing there John. I never saw any thread on PH and how many people had him in their crosshairs before this incident. And who said he was a saint? I certainly didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

How many current & former athletes have spoken in favour of him? How many sports journalists?

It's not begrudgery. He was more interested in raising his own profile than raising the profile of Irish sport.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    Other men who did well: Bertie Ahern, CJ Haughey, Michael Lynn, Larry Goodman, Seán Fitzpatrick, Michael Fingleton...

Seriously Maud, you are comparing a man who may or may not have hawked a few Olympic tickets to these guys. You really are grasping at straws here. I know you are on your own little crusade about some injustice you perceive he meted out on to some girl but that comparison is taking the pi$$.

No doubt you'll get thank profusely for it though.

Seriously Maud, you are comparing a man who may or may not have hawked a few Olympic tickets to these guys. You really are grasping at straws here. I know you are on your own little crusade about some injustice you perceive he meted out on to some girl but that comparison is taking the pi$$.

No doubt you'll get thank profusely for it though.

Seriously CFlat, by dismissing a victim of child abuse as 'some girl' you're doing yourself no favours.

(And this case involves more than 'a few' Olympic tickets, as I'm sure you well know)

I'm so sick of people trotting out the old 'typical Irish begrudgery' line whenever someone successful or powerful is criticised. It's a weak argument. Defend the man if you like, but dismissing people who find fault with him as begrudgers is quite pathetic.

ahlookit wrote: »
    How many current & former athletes have spoken in favour of him? How many sports journalists?

It's not begrudgery. He was more interested in raising his own profile than raising the profile of Irish sport.

Same as John Delaney, a man whose salary is 4 times that of the LOI Winners and gets Gardai and stewards to silence fans when they sing sones about him.

Same type of greedy fcukers that get away with enriching themselves off the backs of others time and time again whilst grassroots suffers the consequences.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Same as John Delaney, a man whose salary is 4 times that of the LOI Winners and gets Gardai and stewards to silence fans when they sing sones about him.

Same type of greedy fcukers that get away with enriching themselves off the backs of others time and time again whilst grassroots suffers the consequences.

Now if they sell tickets for the next chat John & Pat have, they will sell out Lansdowne. Would love to see how that goes....

Seriously CFlat, by dismissing a victim of child abuse as 'some girl' you're doing yourself no favours.

(And this case involves more than 'a few' Olympic tickets, as I'm sure you well know)

I'm so sick of people trotting out the old 'typical Irish begrudgery' line whenever someone successful or powerful is criticised. It's a weak argument. Defend the man if you like, but dismissing people who find fault with him as begrudgers is quite pathetic.

Just as a matter of interest have you ever mentioned that case here on Boards before the whole PH debacle? It's just that someone else here said PH has been in plenty of people's crosshairs before this Brazil thing and I was wondering were you one of them who had brought this up previously.

Just as a matter of interest have you ever mentioned that case here on Boards before the whole PH debacle? It's just that someone else here said PH has been in plenty of people's crosshairs before this Brazil thing and I was wondering were you one of them who had brought this up previously.

No, I wasn't aware of Hickey's involvement in the case until I read Paul Kimmage's article.

ETA: I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Unless someone has mentioned Hickey's misdeeds on Boards previous to this case breaking, they should not be entitled to mention it now?

It's clear that there was a lot of bad feeling towards Hickey among people who had reason to deal with him. Whether they wrote posts on Boards about it seems completely besides the point. Particularly given his litigious nature. Or should I not mention that - I didn't post about that previous to August either?

No, I wasn't aware of Hickey's involvement in the case until I read Paul Kimmage's article.

ETA: I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make. Unless someone has mentioned Hickey's misdeeds on Boards previous to this case breaking, they should not be entitled to mention it now?

It's clear that there was a lot of bad feeling towards Hickey among people who had reason to deal with him. Whether they wrote posts on Boards about it seems completely besides the point. Particularly given his litigious nature. Or should I not mention that - I didn't post about that previous to August either?

Ok. I never got the bad feeling towards Hickey until this all kicked off. I'm not saying it didn't exist, I just didn't have a sense of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

David Walsh had a very good piece in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago explaining why journalists would give up trying to do stories that would show a negative side to Pat Hickey's leadership of the OCI.

He explained that PH's legal team would send a torrent of correspondence into the papers threatening action even over the smallest of perceived slights on PH's character. This in turn would frighten and frustrate editors etc. It would also push a "hot story" off the pages for 2 to 3 years.

News media management don't want 3 year old "hot stories". Nor do they want their legal teams tied up for years in a lot of small stories running up a lot costs.

Most of PH's threats of legal action were just that- Threats.

DW made the case that this was PH's modus operandi for pushing unsavoury stories of himself off the pages of newspapers.

Kill every story with threats of strong legal action and soon enough it's the journos getting it in the neck from their editors for bringing hassle and expense into the building and empty column inches on the paper.

Can't find link at mo but it was a Sunday Times article.

humberklog wrote: »
    David Walsh had a very good piece in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago explaining why journalists would give up trying to do stories that would show a negative side to Pat Hickey's leadership of the OCI.

He explained that PH's legal team would send a torrent of correspondence into the papers threatening action even over the smallest of perceived slights on PH's character. This in turn would frighten and frustrate editors etc. It would also push a "hot story" off the pages for 2 to 3 years.

News media management don't want 3 year old "hot stories". Nor do they want their legal teams tied up for years in a lot of small stories running up a lot costs.

DW made the case that this was PH's modus operandi for pushing unsavoury stories of himself off the pages of newspapers.

Kill every story with threats of strong legal action and soon enough it's the journos getting it in the neck from their editors for bringing hassle and expense into the building and empty column inches on the paper.

Its a common tactic. Denis O'Brien does it quite frequently and so does John Delaney.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/denis-o-brien-lawyers-demand-removal-of-broadsheet-ie-article-1.2310440%3fmode=amp

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/delaney-calls-in-lawyers-over-ticket-tout-row-tc5hs8h2h

Interesting to note that they are all good buddies.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

What's wrong with that? Everybody is entitled to protect their name. Newspapers will print anything if they are not challenged. That also protects you and me.

Is The Irish Independent not owned by Denis O Brien? He can't be that big a buddy of John Delaney.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with that? Everybody is entitled to protect their name. Newspapers will print anything if they are not challenged. That also protects you and me.

Is The Irish Independent not owned by Denis O Brien? He can't be that big a buddy of John Delaney.

What's wrong with it is that it means the guy with deep pockets can afford to pay legal teams that frustrate the press with so many frivolous writs that eventually nothing in any way negative will be written about them, even when it's true and justified.

If you can't see that throttling a free press is a bad thing then I'm not sure what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What's wrong with using constant threats of litigation to stifle any story regardless of newsworthiness? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wasn't/Isn't DOB subsidizing 50%? of the Irish manager's salary?
    I think that would make him Delaney's buddy.

What's wrong with it is that it means the guy with deep pockets can afford to pay legal teams that frustrate the press with so many frivolous writs that eventually nothing in any way negative will be written about them, even when it's true and justified.

If you can't see that throttling a free press is a bad thing then I'm not sure what to say.

I thought you and your buddies here said it was nothing to with begrudgery? That sure sounds like begrudgery to me.

And you don't know what to say about my posts? What about you who accepts that PH may or may not be guilty of this ticket touting scandal but you're happy to see him swing because he's guilty of another unconnected incident. I sure hope you are not involved in the legal process Maud cause that's not the way it works.

josip wrote: »
    Wasn't/Isn't DOB subsidizing 50%? of the Irish manager's salary?
    I think that would make him Delaney's buddy.

I'm aware of DOBs contribution to the Ireland managers salary, doesn't necessarily mean they're buddies. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

I'm aware of DOBs contribution to the Ireland managers salary, doesn't necessarily mean they're buddies. I'm not saying you're wrong though.

They may not be buddies, but they appear to have a close working relationship

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/09/05/john-delaney-could-run-anything/

And Delaney, Hickey and O'Brien are very fond of threatening court action on writers. You may or may not be aware of Andrew Jennings, Denis Walsh, Paul Howard, Paul Kimmage. These guys are respected journalists, not muck-rakers, and all have written about legal proceedings threatened on them by Pat Hickey

Hickey has been abusing his power for over 20 years, so it hasnt just started in Rio

https://www.balls.ie/olympics/20-years-ago-david-walsh-explained-pat-hickey-resign-oci/343254

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I assume if some of your animals get sick you take advice off a vet and not dismiss it because some arbitrary people on the internet tell you that what the vet said is wrong? That's what you and other posters are doing here by implying that PH doesn't have a heart condition despite his medical team saying that he does.

Various reports say that Hickey has atrial fibrillation. This is very common. 5% of people over 60 have it, rising to 10% in the over 80s. It's not immediately life threatening, but can (can - not "will") lead on to things like clots/strokes (clots form due to blood not being move around efficiently, clot then causes stroke).

It's generally just treated with medication (anti-clotting, such as warfarin). You can also have a dramatic sounding, but in reality fairly simple, procedure. They put you under a mild sedation for a few minutes, then shock your heart in an effort to stop and restart it. Sounds scary, but is pretty routine. They might keep you in for a night for monitoring, but you'd generally be home the next day.

There are some excellent hospitals in Brazil - there's absolutely no reason this procedure couldn't be carried out there. I appreciate that people may like to have family around if they're going into hospital. There's nothing to stop his family flying over to be with him if he had it done over there.

I don't think people are kicking him while he's down, but that we spot the same patterns over and over again with alleged white collar criminals. They use their money (which may be ill-gotten to start with) to throw legal threats around right, left and center to prevent any criticism whatsoever. Even a hint of criticism is met with dire warnings from solicitors.

In the event that they are arrested/charged with anything, the PR companies are rolled out, the gangs of solicitors roam the streets looking for something to pounce on, and the next thing you know, the accused suddenly has an urgent medical condition that conveniently prevents them from doing anything they don't want to do.

If I stole €5,000 and was caught, I'd just have to suck up whatever was coming to me. If I stole €5,000,000 then I could afford the roving solicitors and medical experts and all the other things that would keep me out of jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

humberklog wrote: »

End of August or start of September. Walsh said that at one stage he had 26 solicitors letters from Pat Hickey. Not a single one was acted on.

It's no wonder our athletes have crap facilities when OCI money is being fecked away on solicitors fees.

I'll just drop this here.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/exclusive-video-john-the-baptist-part-1-30562269.html

They are known to be good friends.

• Advertisement

I thought you and your buddies here said it was nothing to with begrudgery? That sure sounds like begrudgery to me.

And you don't know what to say about my posts? What about you who accepts that PH may or may not be guilty of this ticket touting scandal but you're happy to see him swing because he's guilty of another unconnected incident. I sure hope you are not involved in the legal process Maud cause that's not the way it works.

I find it frustrating that someone can use their wealth (or in this case the wealth of an organisation that is partially publicly funded) to frustrate a legal process and subvert a free press. That's not begrudgery. Again, I think you're misusing the word - criticising someone who happens to have money is not begrudgery.

Where did I say that I'd be happy to see him 'swing'? I want Pat Hickey to stand trial for the crimes he has been accused of. If he's innocent (actually innocent, not just able to pay the best lawyers to get him off on a technicality) then I'd be ok with seeing him go free.

What I did say is that I felt no sympathy for him being held in Bangu prison, despite the bleating of his PR team about the conditions, after I heard the treatment he meted out to a young girl who had been through hell. He didn't deserve sympathy, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread still doing the rounds eh.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

MMA has nothing on it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Is that sort of smug attitude , taking us all for a bunch of thicks and using power , influence and money for personal gain at the expense of those your supposed to be representing.
    to then be condescending and contrite when you use the above to slip off the hook.

No wonder people are exasperated!
    and yes , angry too and disillusioned.

Anyone of us "ordinary" people carrying on like that would find a very different set of circumstances thrust upon us.

hawkwind23 wrote: »

Is that sort of smug attitude , taking us all for a bunch of thicks and using power , influence and money for personal gain at the expense of those your supposed to be representing.
    to then be condescending and contrite when you use the above to slip off the hook.

No wonder people are exasperated!
    and yes , angry too and disillusioned.

Anyone of us "ordinary" people carrying on like that would find a very different set of circumstances thrust upon us.
    You seem to be seeing something in that post you're replying to that I'm not.

Talk about someone going out of their way to be offended. Mother of God.

• Advertisement

You seem to be seeing something in that post you're replying to that I'm not.

I see it too. It's called apathy towards a matter where there are loads of unanswered questions that need to be answered for the best interests of the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

i'm more surprised at just how stupid the comment is, major domestic and international news story which had a significant development with a court judgment in the last 48 hours and this poster wonders why "this thread still doing the rounds" eh???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'm still amazed this site hasn't been threatened by the legal eagles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Would be a fairly satisfactory outcome in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bloody hell!
    I wonder will they cough up bail for other "alleged" ticket touts!
    The Association of National Olympic Committees has agreed to pay Patrick Hickey's bail, allowing him to return home to Ireland on medical grounds.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/patrick-hickey-free-to-return-to-ireland-as-olympic-nations-agree-to-bail-loan-35261376.html

kbannon wrote: »

Jaysus! The job is oxo, so, he's away in a hack surely?

Huh: "The terms of the temporary loan make it clear that it must be repaid to ANOC in full."

Does it make clear who it will be getting repaid by? (I have a sinking feeling I know the answer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Pat's friends in high places ride to his rescue

What compulsion would there be for him to repay it if the bail terms are broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Pat will no doubt hang on to the €410k if the Brazilians ever return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Rackstar wrote: »
    Pat will no doubt hang on to the €410k if the Brazilians ever return it.

Not a hope of it having to be returned because there are not a hope of him ever returning to Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/patrick-hickey-free-to-return-to-ireland-as-olympic-nations-agree-to-bail-loan-35261376.html
    "The payment was made as a temporary loan so that Patrick Hickey could meet his bail requirements and return to Ireland where he can receive medical treatment for a heart condition. The terms of the temporary loan make it clear that it must be repaid to ANOC in full. For legal reasons, all other terms and conditions surrounding this bail payment will remain confidential."
    Is one of the "top secret" terms that if the bail is forfeited to the Brazilians the loan is considered repaid in full?

Dunno but I presume the ANOC isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Can Ireland refuse to take him back?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Can Ireland refuse to take him back?
    For what? He has not been foind guilty of anything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement