Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'Flying home for Christmas' just a variation on Chris Rea.

Any other suggestions? Something along the line of; being taken for a ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

ahlookit wrote: »
    There's probably an injunction in the pipeline

The injunction coming from the lawyers that the IOC is paying for.
    Almost to farcical to be true. Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Water John wrote: »

Santa baby, slip a pardon under the tree, for me
    Been an angel all year.
    Santa baby, so hurry to the bail hearing now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Hopefully the Irish health system manages to treat his rock hard neck and locate his scruples while they look for his heart. I doubt frail old pensioner Pat will be left sitting on a trolley in A&E for a few days. Very selfish of him to voluntarily add to our overburdened health system. If he's any sense he'll slither off into the sunset and never be heard from again, his reputation is in tatters and that type always end up consumed by bitterness, I hope the media ignore this silly old man, he's nothing positive or interesting to to offer, it'll just be the usual whining and "after all I've done for you lot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

currants wrote: »
    Hopefully the Irish health system manages to treat his rock hard neck and locate his scruples while they look for his heart. I doubt frail old pensioner Pat will be left sitting on a trolley in A&E for a few days. Very selfish of him to voluntarily add to our overburdened health system. If he's any sense he'll slither off into the sunset and never be heard from again, his reputation is in tatters and that type always end up consumed by bitterness, I hope the media ignore this silly old man, he's nothing positive or interesting to to offer, it'll just be the usual whining and "after all I've done for you lot".

If you doubt he'll be on a trolley in a & e, then presumably he'll be going private.

What's he done to rattle your cage?

I think just being a dick, comes some where on most peoples list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

maudgonner wrote: »
    Santa baby, slip a pardon under the tree, for me
    Been an angel all year.
    Santa baby, so hurry to the bail hearing now!

With apologies to Buddy Holly...

Heartbeat
    Why do you miss when I face judiciary
    Heartbeat
    Why does a jail sentence cause me to flee
    Piddly pat
    I know a few quid thrills me
    I know the OCI will fund me
    Heartbeat
    Why do you miss when I face judiciary

I swear to God I didn't make the Piddly Pat bit up

Allinall wrote: »
    If you doubt he'll be on a trolley in a & e, then presumably he'll be going private.

What's he done to rattle your cage?

I am just sick to death of these type of people getting away with this type of rubbish.

Suspicion that there's a deal for the bail money traded for stepping down as President OCI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I wonder will Pat's limited earnings stretch to 1st class flight back to Ireland or will he be on a slow boat working his passage?

Any plans to pass a hat around for his flights?

• Advertisement

He'll certainly manage business class like Gerry travelling back from Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

currants wrote: »
    I am just sick to death of these type of people getting away with this type of rubbish.

He hasn't 'gotten away' with anything yet, the case still has to go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Do we have an extradition treaty with Brazil ?

He'll never see the inside of a court here unless he's suing people and he's not going back to face those charges.

Oh well.... Anything in EU treaties ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder when he leaves Dublin Airport will he be photographed and filmed like when Michaella McCollum arrived or will he have VIP treatment to avoid that so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Suspicion that there's a deal for the bail money traded for stepping down as President OCI.

Well, he's not running for the post (just from the law):

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pat-hickey-will-not-be-running-for-oci-president-35293900.html

Still find it bizarre that somebody so high profile can (apparently) get caught stealing and the extent of their punishment is that they can't apply for his old job. Where's the moral leadership in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

boombang wrote: »
    Well, he's not running for the post (just from the law):

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pat-hickey-will-not-be-running-for-oci-president-35293900.html

Still find it bizarre that somebody so high profile can (apparently) get caught stealing and the extent of their punishment is that they can't apply for his old job. Where's the moral leadership in this country?

Morals lolololol , thats for the poor house
    Remember , your rewards will be in heaven , your health is your wealth ;)

His old "job" is a hot potato , he will slide into a consulting position somewhere , his role being taking public (your) money into his pockets and those of his associates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Morals lolololol , thats for the poor house
    Remember , your rewards will be in heaven , your health is your wealth ;)

His old "job" is a hot potato , he will slide into a consulting position somewhere , his role being taking public (your) money into his pockets and those of his associates.

He'll probably get a gig on the Rugby World Cup bid once this has blown over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The ticket touting charge is only illegal in Brazil and not here. Taking the tickets that were for the use of the Irish competitors and their family and friends and selling them to someone else is *merely* highly unethical here.

You and other posters around here can beat that drum till the skin falls off and it doesn't take away from the fact that he still hasn't gotten away with anything yet cause it hasn't gone to trial, which BTW is not PHs fault. Had the Brazilian Authourities gotten their sh1t together he was there and available for trial.

Personally I wouldn't go back to that corrupt sh1thole of a country, but that's just me.

BTW if you actually have any evidence that he won't show up for trial I'd be fascinated to read it. I don't need a link or anything just tell us how you're so emphatic, cause your post is definitely emphatic.

I've never commented either way cause I don't know Fred but your post appears definitive. Ah don't worry about it I know what to expect around here and it's very seldom rational or thought it, it's just throw out a comment that you have fuc k all evidence or support for and everyone will agree with you. That's SOP around here. Mind you the songs are funny all right.

I would like to point out that I never said he was innocent or that he was some kind of Mother Teresa type person in fact I would go as far as to say that he is probably of questionable character but still deserves due process, like anyone else.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I hope they got him tickets for the Sportstar of the Year Awards

Pay Hickey couldn't even pony up money for his own bail to get the hell out of dodge. He ended up being at the good grace of fellow OCs to bail him out. I don't know the man from adam(despite the smart arse comments made otherwise) but I seriously doubt he lived high on the hog. He's certainly no Charlie Haughey type individual and I'd be fairly sure of that.

Personally I think he should permanently stand down from the OCI. 27 years is too long for anyone to be at the helm of an organisation like that, complacency and omnipotence can seep in over that period of time. It does sound though to me that the election in February(?) maybe about ousting him anyway while the case is still hanging over him.

CFlat wrote: »
    Pay Hickey couldn't even pony up money for his own bail to get the hell out of dodge. He ended up being at the good grace of fellow OCs to bail him out. I don't know the man from adam(despite the smart arse comments made otherwise) but I seriously doubt he lived high on the hog. He's certainly no Charlie Haughey type individual and I'd be fairly sure of that.

Personally I think he should permanently stand down from the OCI. 27 years is too long for anyone to be at the helm of an organisation like that, complacency and omnipotence can seep in over that period of time. It does sound though to me that the election in February(?) maybe about ousting him anyway while the case is still hanging over him.

Why pay when someone else will...

Why pay when someone else will...

It's only loan, he'll have to pay it back if he jumps bail.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    The ticket touting charge is only illegal in Brazil and not here. Taking the tickets that were for the use of the Irish competitors and their family and friends and selling them to someone else is *merely* highly unethical here.

If we were being pedantic we could point out that he did the touting in Brazil, so there's the crime.

Regarding the legality of touting in Ireland. Is there case to be argued that what he did was different from purchasing tickets and selling them at inflated prices, but rather he misappropriated what wasn't his and sold it. If that's not stealing then it seems to very close to it.

I know the legality of what he's done isn't really the point here. It's more that you can do something that should disgrace yourself and there's very little consequence for you in Ireland. If we don't change this we'll be back again with more Rehab, Bertie, Lowry, DOB etc.

Doesn't Shane Ross see any upside in using soft power pressure to see this patent gobsh*te sidelined?

If we were being pedantic we could point out that he did the touting in Brazil, so there's the crime.

I hadn't realised the court case was already over. Well there's a load off everybody's mind, we can close the thread now and get on with our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Wonder when he leaves Dublin Airport will he be photographed and filmed like when Michaella McCollum arrived or will he have VIP treatment to avoid that so to speak.

Depends on whether he gives the hysterical indo the first interview or not.

Give them first interview and he won't be hounded for years. But don't give the hysterical sensationalist rag first interview and they will hunt him down, make up wild hysterical stories and worst of all some fevkin eejits will actually believe the utter tripe they will write.

Indo is not far behind the daily muck/mail for story "creation" and use of artistic licence.

I hadn't realised the court case was already over. Well there's a load off everybody's mind, we can close the thread now and get on with our lives.

OK, fair enough, alleged crime.

But for one second do you think Hickey's going to return to Brazil to clear his name?

I know I can't be sure that Hickey's guilty, but I'm happy with taking a punt on it.

Looks like PH is going to be home imminently. He's signed a condition with the BA that he will return for trial after he has his heart surgery. The case could be as soon as next month apparently. I hadn't realised he's fully stood down from the OCI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

He's not running in Feb ... so he's effectively gone for good...

http://www.olympics.ie/news/15502-olympic-council-of-ireland-e-g-m-2017.html

For clarity, as Pat Hickey has repeatedly advised in the past year prior to the Rio Games 2016 he would be finishing his term of office after the Games.

Therefore please note he will NOT be a candidate for President at the forthcoming elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ahlookit wrote: »
    He's not running in Feb ... so he's effectively gone for good...

http://www.olympics.ie/news/15502-olympic-council-of-ireland-e-g-m-2017.html

I'm wondering how the OCI can continue to function in the absence of colossus such as Hickey & Delaney. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the OCI can continue to function in the absence of colossus such as Hickey & Delaney. :o

Maybe now there will be money available for athletes and tickets available for their families?

He's signed a condition with the BA that he will return for trial after he has his heart surgery. The case could be as soon as next month apparently.

I would be stunned if he returns for the trial. I'd be pleased to see him go and defend himself, but I don't see it happening.

If he doesn't go back then I think it should be open season to bar him from publicly-funded employment of any sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No way can I see him coming back for trial. The Brazilian police have his laptops and phones which showed hundreds of emails discussing the touting of tickets. This was an operation that was designed to net the participants €3 million and the police have full proof of the crime now. If Hickey goes back he is getting prison time so it just wont be happening. Im surprised they let him go in the first place, bond or not. No way would you see that happening in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

check_six wrote: »

The problem is many people believe the sensationalist hysterical sh1te written in the indo.

A couple of family members did not get tickets - but they only looked for them AFTER the cutoff date cos the competitor qualified very late in the day.

As for touting - the oci had a sh1t load of unsold tickets (as did many others). He had a chance to get rid of a good few to a hospitality agency as he had the contacts.

The money for the tickets was going in its entirety to the oci who had already purchased the tickets.

So choice was to be left with a load of unsold tickets like most countries - or get shot of them in a bulk deal.

Also for "touting" - he'd have to had sold the tickets for above face value and in my book, be making personal gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Walter2016 wrote: »
    The problem is many people believe the sensationalist hysterical sh1te written in the indo.

A couple of family members did not get tickets - but they only looked for them AFTER the cutoff date cos the competitor qualified very late in the day.

As for touting - the oci had a sh1t load of unsold tickets (as did many others). He had a chance to get rid of a good few to a hospitality agency as he had the contacts.

The money for the tickets was going in its entirety to the oci who had already purchased the tickets.

So choice was to be left with a load of unsold tickets like most countries - or get shot of them in a bulk deal.

Also for "touting" - he'd have to had sold the tickets for above face value and in my book, be making personal gain.

If ever there was a case for a red thumb on boards.

You sound like a government spin official.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Maybe now there will be money available for athletes and tickets available for their families?

What evidence do you have that because of Pat Hickey there was less money available to athletes?

What evidence do you have that he has taken money off athletes?

First class tickets to RIO cost about 8 grand... each (for family) coach maybe 500. Three 5 star hotel rooms? They could throw more bread to the peasants if they flew coach and cut down on the square feet needed to perform their duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If Pat Hickeys replacement doesn't fly first class to the next Olympics and stay in a five star hotel, I'll boil and eat every stitch of clothing I own with neither salt nor pepper.

Steve wrote: »
    First class tickets to RIO cost about 8 grand... each (for family) coach maybe 500. Three 5 star hotel rooms? They could throw more bread to the peasants if they flew coach and cut down on the square feet needed to perform their duty.

I'd love to see the expenses accounts for the rest of the OCI executive. I seriously doubt that Pat Hickey was independently responsible for whatever money you think the athletes didn't get.

He's clearly gone now from the OCI so it will be interesting to see how things change in the future. I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I'd love to see the expenses accounts for the rest of the OCI executive. I seriously doubt that Pat Hickey was independently responsible for whatever money you think the athletes didn't get.

He's clearly gone now from the OCI so it will be interesting to see how things change in the future. I wouldn't be holding my breath.

They have a pool of money.

The execs take what they need to 'survive' in the slums that the Olympics are held in.

The athletes get the dregs.

If there was less money spent at the top on caviar and champagne then the athletes would get more.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just simple math.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There are a lot of similarities between the OCI and the grab all association.
    Both organisations have been feathering their own nests on the backs of its' players.

Explain please.

Advertisement