Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Neither pay their players.

I have assiduously avoided posting in this thread as I was content to see the law take its course, particularly because, having visited Brazil, having friends there, and having read a bit about it, unlike some here I have reason to believe that whatever corruption problems exist there, the judiciary itself is clean, even if it wasn't in the past.

However, you have introduced a new topic to the thread.

I presume your use of the cliche grab all association is a reference to the Gaelic Athletic Association. Could you please name some sporting bodies that grab less? And could you please specify what GAA grabbing you are referring to?
    The amateur ideal, for all its problems and contradictions, is deep rooted in organised sport. In Ireland in particular it was used in the past by the gentry to ensure that the common man didn't sweep ( grab? ) all the prizes, just as membership of the Mother of Parliaments was unpaid for the same reason. The Corinthian ideal lingered long after the toffs were sent on their way. Rugby embraced professionalism as late as 1995. Did you have a problem with rugby before 1995? Each will have his own opinion on the relative merits of professionalism v. amateurism. Some will look at overpaid primadonnas in soccer stadia throwing themselves around the place, and will form their views on the subject accordingly. Some will say that money has destroyed much of sport.

As one whose family straddles more than one Irish tradition, I never cease to be fascinated by people who demand respect for their own culture and traditions while coming out with the same old lazily thought out kneejerk codswallop about those of other people.

Mindless GAA bashing emanates for the most part from money made from wartime blackmarketeering and profiteering by unpatriotic grabbers, money inherited by the parents of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly types and used to fund the"education" of the latter in posh schools, where they generally fail the Leaving Cert, that being no problem since they can walk into a job in Daddy's business.

Bigotry and snobbery are bedfellows, rooted in ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Back to the "Guess the Town/Village" thread with the two of ye :)

josip wrote: »
    Back to the "Guess the Town/Village" thread with the two of ye :)

Oh God stop. Suppose somebody like yourself posted a picture showing the local GAA playing field. Do you want poor Fred to get apoplexy? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I'd tend to disagree and argue that most of those similarities are with the FAI, and not the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

feargale wrote: »

Mindless GAA bashing emanates for the most part from money made from wartime blackmarketeering and profiteering by unpatriotic grabbers, money inherited by the parents of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly types and used to fund the"education" of the latter in posh schools, where they generally fail the Leaving Cert, that being no problem since they can walk into a job in Daddy's business.

Bigotry and snobbery are bedfellows, rooted in ignorance.

How do you get out of bed in the morning with such a huge chip on your shoulder? You'd want to be careful it might cause you back problems in later life.

Anyway, to address your point on corruption in Brazil.

Only back in 2014 there was a huge scandal involving Petrobras where they were giving large chunks of money to government parties(many millions) even the President herself was implicated in it. I would agree that it appears not to be as bad as it used to be, but it's clearly still happening. Mind you it's not like the Irish can go around pointing fingers.

CFlat wrote: »
    How do you get out of bed in the morning with such a huge chip on your shoulder? You'd want to be careful it might cause you back problems in later life.

Indeed, Ross. Sorry, Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

In fairness it was a bit of rant now , wasn't it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

No worries feargale. Just be more careful next time.

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    No worries feargale. Just be more careful next time.

Yes, Ross. How long have I got before these back problems kick in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He's back...
    Pat Hickey has arrived back in Dublin after almost five months in Brazil, once again reiterating his innocence in relation to alleged ticket-touting at the Rio Olympics and stating that he “will do everything possible to clear my name.”

The former president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), who temporarily stepped aside from that role following his arrest in Rio on August 17th, left Brazil on Wednesday night, and following a few days in London, arrived in Dublin on Sunday evening.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pat-hickey-back-in-dublin-and-vows-to-clear-name-1.2910895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

“I intend to adhere to any requests made by the Brazilian authorities and I will do everything possible to clear my name so that I can, in due course, get on with my life with my wife and family.”

- So, will this include returning to Brazil to spend some time in court?

Article goes on to say he won't be making further comment. This is understandable if the case is still pending, but any silence is will become deafening if he doesn't return. Anyway, I should let him get on with his medical care and not make too many presumptions in the meantime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wont be long till Hickeys doctors in the Blackrock Clinic are telling us he is unfit to fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

guess who's back

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/its-good-to-be-home-pat-hickey-arrives-back-and-wishes-everyone-a-happy-christmas-35305285.html

Speaking outside the house, Mr Hickey told photographers: "I want to wish you all a happy Christmas and it's good to be home."

What an ordinary joe soap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

Jaysus, he had to fly Ryanair with the rest of the plebs. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so whats the story with Pat??

he's keeping a very low profile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Got a lucky escape. I'd imagine he will disappear into obscurity and hope it will all be forgotten. He's an old man now and will want no further hassle.

has he even left his house?? there's been no pictures of him in the papers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

fryup wrote: »
    has he even left his house?? there's been no pictures of him in the papers??

Well, one would assume given the drastic seriousness of his "medical condition" that he's been in hospital since the day he got home and is still there.

^^^

how convenient :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

He posed for some pics outside his house shortly before Christmas but seems to have been keeping a low profile since. I reckon he's deep in conversation with retired judge Carroll Moran, helping him with his inquiry....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/its-good-to-be-home-pat-hickey-arrives-back-and-wishes-everyone-a-happy-christmas-35305285.html

Meanwhile there are four names in the ring to be new OCI president:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/four-names-in-the-hat-to-replace-hickey-as-oci-boss-35358771.html

If Bernard O'Byrne gets it will plans for Eircom Park be back on the table? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You would think O'Brein and Henehan would want to call it a day.

Eircom park was a nice design. One wheeled in the pitch for matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^

how convenient :cool:

You already know what he looks like.

Just look at an old picture to remind yourself, if it's that important to you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ahlookit wrote: »
    He posed for some pics outside his house shortly before Christmas but seems to have been keeping a low profile since.
    Apparently, he is out flogging U2 tickets...
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/01/16/couple-of-u2-tickets-there-if-anyones-looking/
    :D

kbannon wrote: »

Take a copy of the article if you still want to be able to read it in 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Sarah Keane was elected as the new OCI president last night. The vote wasn't nearly as close as had been expected.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2017/0210/851542-oci-reaction/

Love the second photo, Hickey still looming large over proceedings :pac:

• Advertisement

Does it look like she got the votes of practically all the affiliated associations?
    34 votes on offer, BOB got 2. Is it a presumption that most previous officers voted for the status quo?

Time to move on. She has experience of having a major task with Swim Ireland, plus her legal background. Governance and accountability to the fore, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Pretty much looks like she romped home alright. O'Byrne only got 2 - Basketball and Taekwon Do (who nominated and seconded him). If you assume O'Brien got the 9 sitting votes he only got 3 others.

She was by far the most impressive of the three in any interviews I heard or read. As you say, time to move on from the sorry mess, she looks capable of implementing the badly needed changes in the OCI.

Would have loved to have heard the report on Rio which ignored all the controversies.
    The evening began with Stephen Martin, deputy chef de mission for Rio, delivering his report on the Games due to the resignation of chef de mission Kevin Kilty, also an OCI executive member, who resigned in the aftermath of the ticket-touting scandal.
    Martin was extremely critical of the Rio organising committee: “Rio could basically not cope,” he said, “and asked us to find and pay for our own solutions.”
    Martin either avoided or gave just mere mentions to the controversial elements to the Games – namely the ticketing controversy, the positive doping test of boxer Michael O’Reilly, and the subsequent illegal betting charges laid against Michael Conlon and Steven Donnelly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sarah-keane-elected-as-olympic-council-of-ireland-president-1.2970110

Really wish her the best. The athletes and supporters deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Finally a vote that delivered a sensible result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Secrets to a successful stint as leader of the OCI:

1. Get athletes to the Games in a bit of comfort, make sure they have a good training camp and good lodgings and that they know the rules. Don't fck up their accreditation and try to facilitate their coaches and families as much as possible.

2. Don't prostrate yourself before the overlords of the IOC or consort with world leaders of dubious morals.

3. Otherwise stay out of the limelight on the understanding that when you're in it, it's only because you are embroiled in some scandal or other.

M

The Rio ticketing scandal cost OCI €1.5million...
    THE ticketing scandal at the Olympics in Rio has cost the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) more than €1.5m.

Figures released by the OCI today, ahead of its Annual General Meeting (AGM), showed €1.04m was spent on legal and professional advice alone.

President of the organisation Sarah Keane, who was elected in February tasked with cleaning up the mess left in the wake of the 2016 games, said almost €300,000 has been recouped from insurers.

The cost of the whole affair dragged the OCI into the red last year. It posted a loss of €826,180. However the board has said it can meet its debts from reserves.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-rio-ticketing-scandal-cost-the-olympic-council-of-ireland-over-15m-35855677.html

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the biggest Irish winner at the Rio Olympics is...

Mr-Arthur-Cox_BW.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

What a shame, and after all the hard work Pat Hickey did to get the organisation 2.3 million in the black last July and with an "enviable list of sponsors".

The main one of which was THG, who coughed up 1.6m since 2010 according to the judicial inquiry report. No wonder they were willing to fly Hickey over to Lausanne on Marcus Evans' private jet to a conference on ticketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whats the latest from rio anyway?

irishgeo wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_nda7xd1nur1r2u4kt-2.gif

• Advertisement
    M

irishgeo wrote: »

Hidden ties was in the paper a few weeks back...
    The judge appointed to investigate the fiasco at the Rio Olympic Games has concluded there was a concealed relationship between Olympic Council of Ireland president Pat Hickey and British ticketing agent Marcus Evans and his company THG.

Judge Carroll Moran conducted a judicial inquiry on behalf of the Government into events surrounding the arrest of Mr Hickey and Kevin Mallon, of the ticket agency THG, during the games last August.

Judge Moran, who is believed to have presented his report to Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross last Friday, said the failure of six parties directly involved in the Olympic debacle to co-operate with his inquiry was a major handicap in producing his report.

According to sources close to the Olympic Council of Ireland, lawyers acting for some of the parties involved claim they could seriously undermine Mr Hickey's "absolute right to due process and a full and proper trial" in Brazil.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pat-hickey-and-ticketing-firm-had-hidden-ties-investigation-into-olympic-games-fiasco-reveals-35812807.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

...which will no doubt be their pretext for not going back to Brazil. Nice work Paddy. That does a man's heart good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

In the meantime our nations young athletes struggle by on a pittance at best akin to the dole while the *Olympic council *members are awash with corporate laywers and advisors to protect them while they ahem do their ' business' and line their pockets. Delightful.

Sure they make a handy and appealing scapegoat but the truth is the perceived impoverishment of young athletes is a government issue and has little to do with the OCI or its members. In fact, the OCI has actually helped lots of athletes over the years through bursaries and scholarships but that doesn't really suit the popular narrative. Not that I'm personally much of a fan, you understand, but its the politicians you need to address when the subject of sports funding comes up. The OCI has little or nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Sure they make a handy and appealing scapegoat but the truth is the perceived impoverishment of young athletes is a government issue and has little to do with the OCI or its members. In fact, the OCI has actually helped lots of athletes over the years through bursaries and scholarships but that doesn't really suit the popular narrative. Not that I'm personally much of a fan, you understand, but its the politicians you need to address when the subject of sports funding comes up. The OCI has little or nothing to do with it.

Of course this legal bill will effect the funding of athletes

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/rio-scandal-has-cost-the-oci-1-5-million-and-counting-1.3129834

In what significant way? I cant see much in that article that suggests that will be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

In the meantime our nations young athletes struggle by on a pittance at best akin to the dole while the *Olympic council *members are awash with corporate laywers and advisors to protect them while they ahem do their ' business' and line their pockets. Delightful.

ah but trickle down politic , you know if werent for the ones at the top then how can a poor person be expected to do sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Jimmy Magee on tv just there defending his mate and saying it was "a load of nonsense" and "sure we all aren't perfect" , more or less and charging a few extra quid is hardly biggest crime. He then tried to bizarrely compare it to the negligence involved in The Greenfell Towers cladding to play it down.

I was shocked. I know he is his mate but a man held so high (by many - personally he grates on me) should not be commenting on it. Magee has attachments to the Olympic Council of course so he was always going to avoid criticising them.

For a man who preaches about his love for Olympians, defending a crook who has cost the Olympic Council, and essentially deprived athlete development etc, €1.5 million in legal fees, is pretty rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Jimmy Magee on tv just there defending his mate and saying it was "a load of nonsense" and "sure we all aren't perfect" , more or less and charging a few extra quid is hardly biggest crime. He then tried to bizarrely compare it to the negligence involved in The Greenfell Towers cladding to play it down.

I was shocked. I know he is his mate but a man held so high (by many - personally he grates on me) should not be commenting on it. Magee has attachments to the Olympic Council of course so he was always going to avoid criticising them.

For a man who preaches about his love for Olympians, defending a crook who has cost the Olympic Council, and essentially deprived athlete development etc, €1.5 million in legal fees, is pretty rich.
    i dont pay much heed to what jimmy waffles on about.

http://www.the42.ie/jimmy-magee-michelle-smith-598073-Sep2012/

• Advertisement
Advertisement