Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I very much doubt Michelle Smith would have carried it anyway. You would want to be stupid to think she would have courted that publicity.

As for Lance Armstrong, it just goes to show you that Magee is a fact book of knowledge with no journalistic skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

irishgeo wrote: »
    i dont pay much heed to what jimmy waffles on about.

http://www.the42.ie/jimmy-magee-michelle-smith-598073-Sep2012/
    ..Magee however reckons the Texan was clean throughout his reign at the front of the peloton...
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pat Hickey resurfaces for the sob story interview with Paul Williams.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-treated-as-if-im-a-criminal-mastermind-im-innocent-of-all-charges-pat-hickey-speaks-out-35869090.html

A discredited journo, nothing wrong in the guards, just Maurice McCabe, and a discredited official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Water John wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-treated-as-if-im-a-criminal-mastermind-im-innocent-of-all-charges-pat-hickey-speaks-out-35869090.html

A discredited journo, nothing wrong in the guards, just Maurice McCabe, and a discredited official.
    Hard know who the bigger **** is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't appear in that press photo to be in need of a wheelchair anymore. What a recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"Even worse still, any media reports can also be used by the prosecutor in Brazil against me.

"Now my senior counsel and junior counsel in Ireland were aghast at this … When my Brazilian lawyers confirmed this to my Irish lawyers, everyone got a big shock."

said Pat, in an interview with the biggest newspaper in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If the Moran report can be used by the Brazilian prosecutor, then how does it prejudice his right to a fair trial (in the legal sense)?

I would have thought it would be more likely to prejudice his right to a fair trial if it couldn't be used, but the jury might have been exposed to it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

While his lawyers are working away in the background to try block the publication of the report.

Can't wait for the film!

• Advertisement

I think Stanley Tucci, would play him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

ThisRegard wrote: »
    While his lawyers are working away in the background to try block the publication of the report.

Since Hickey claims to be totally innocent and the case in Rio will prove that, what is there to worry about the report then, lol. Sure the report will have nothing then....so why is he seeking to block it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I think Stanley Tucci, would play him well.

Jim Norton (Bishop Brennan) would be perfect!
    Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Since Hickey claims to be totally innocent and the case in Rio will prove that, what is there to worry about the report then, lol. Sure the report will have nothing then....so why is he seeking to block it?

Is the Grant Thornton report still blocked too?

http://sportforbusiness.com/grant-thornton-report-suspended-by-oci/

SO the Carroll Moran report and the Grant Thornton report are blocked pending a trial in Rio. Once Pat doesn't go back to Rio the trial wont take place, so everything else is in limbo. Checkmate.

We'll crowdfund the price of the ticket, to send the b******ks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

ahlookit wrote: »
    Jim Norton (Bishop Brennan) would be perfect!

Is the Grant Thornton report still blocked too?

http://sportforbusiness.com/grant-thornton-report-suspended-by-oci/

SO the Carroll Moran report and the Grant Thornton report are blocked pending a trial in Rio. Once Pat doesn't go back to Rio the trial wont take place, so everything else is in limbo. Checkmate.

And then Make him head of the IOC again. Lol

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Very one sided interview. Hickey criticising everything done by the Brazilian authorities with Williams showing his lack of interview skills.
    Seemingly we shouldn't say anything negative about Hickey for fear it will be used in his trial but we're free to criticise the Brazilian process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The man has a gift for hiding behind legal jargon. And lamenting about how Shane Ross didn't ring to check up on his condition, when the best knowledge that we have on his meeting with Shane Ross was that he essentially told him to get back in his box.

And the way he focused on how "We booked him AND HIS WIFE in to a nice hotel", so as to hopefully bring a bit of controversy on to Ross. He thinks he's clever but his motivations are very transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

he's going over everything that was said about him with his legal team, so he's coming to getchall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Looks like Pat is out to settle a few scores..
    The story of Mr Hickey's arrest made international headlines - and images of his arrest at his hotel were widely published.

He argued: "There's not a doubt about it that I was absolutely humiliated and treated in a disgraceful manner on my arrest. Everyone in the world saw, the media were at the door.

"The judge of the high court of Brazil said I should never, ever have been arrested and put in prison."

Mr Hickey also discussed some of the wider criticism he received during and after his detention in Brazil.

He observed: "Lots of people said many things about me when I was away. My legal team have kept a record and a track of everything.

"When I clear my name, I'll spend some time reading over all those."

Link: http://www.newstalk.com/EXCLUSIVE:-Pat-Hickey-insists-he-will-be-proven-innocent-of-all-charges-in-the-Brazilian-courts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mzungu wrote: »
    Looks like Pat is out to settle a few scores..

its a good job he's not a bitter man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

its a good job he's not a bitter man.

:pac: he'll be a while going through this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Anyone got the Sunday business post article from yesterday? Some of the report was leaked I believe and it looks even worse for him apparently!
    How do we manage to consistently produce such slimeballs?

Did not buy it but read a bit. Left an email trail. Written his own damning evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Nout will come of it, one of the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Joshua J wrote: »
    Nout will come of it, one of the lads.
    The trial is in Brazil.

The trial is in Brazil.

they have to get him to brazil first. I predict his health will take a sudden downturn if that is likely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

The trial is in Brazil.

There's more chance of me going to Brazil than the bould Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

If he refuses to go back and Brazil apply to Ireland for his extradition, will our lads comply?
    Implications if we do and implications if we don't?

If he refuses to go back and Brazil apply to Ireland for his extradition, will our lads comply?

Not sure if we even have an extradition agreement with brazil so it would be on a case by case basis. as what he did probably isnt a criminal offence here extradition might be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Not sure if we even have an extradition agreement with brazil so it would be on a case by case basis. as what he did probably isnt a criminal offence here extradition might be difficult.

Ah, sure didn't he *vow* to return to Brazil to clear his good name.

No issue there so. :cool:

We all know justice won't be done for this pr*ck. Doubt he gives a cr*p about his blackened name. His chronies still rever him regardless, most of them probably involved in same stuff obviously.

Inner shambles. Would love to see the athletes join a petition together and seek some proper outside investigation into all this. Sadly, even though a lot of them are paid pittence, they still can't afford to poke the bear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I may be wrong but don't get the impression too many athletes give a fck about Pat Hickey or what happens from here on in, none of the elite ones anyway. Athletes care about their training and their next event, Pat Hickey has f' all to do with that. The world championships are on in London next month, think they are better off focussing on that.

I may be wrong but don't get the impression too many athletes give a fck about Pat Hickey or what happens from here on in, none of the elite ones anyway. Athletes care about their training and their next event, Pat Hickey has f' all to do with that. The world championships are on in London next month, think they are better off focussing on that.

Not Pat Hickey but the general toxicity that clearly resonates in OCI. Of course the athletes don't have too much investment in it, which is a pity as the story has petered down somewhat to the benefit of Hickey but a top end athlete speaking out would perhaps garner some attention. Even a past Olympian.

I can't recall what was the Daily RTE Olympic Panels analysis of it at the time? Seems so long ago? Was it discussed much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not Pat Hickey but the general toxicity that clearly resonates in OCI. Of course the athletes don't have too much investment in it, which is a pity as the story has petered down somewhat to the benefit of Hickey but a top end athlete speaking out would perhaps garner some attention. Even a past Olympian.

I can't recall what was the Daily RTE Olympic Panels analysis of it at the time? Seems so long ago? Was it discussed much?

Can't remember either. Have a feeling the whole legality of it allowed them to get away without saying very much. That was certainly Sonia O'Sullivan's position anyway, both on screen and in print.

There certainly have been athletes, both past and present, who fought pitched battled with Hickey over the years and got little apart from bloody noses for their troubles. Eamon Coghlan for one. And who can forget Terry McHugh, the original Mr Angry of Irish athletics (I mean that in the nicest possible way!). But it was pretty much impossible to get any sort of unified front together against Hickey and things were a hell of a lot worse for athletes then as compared to now!

I think the reality for most top athletes is the OCI will only enter their thoughts once they have secured qualification for the olympics. Its other bodies like Sport Ireland and the Institute of Sport that have relevance to their every day lives. Sport Ireland is the one that controls the purse strings, not the OCI.

Sadly Shane Ross has quietened down on the issue also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

We dont have a treaty but I believe we are having a hard time getting Michael Lynn back here from Brazil to face charges. A swap for Hickey would bring a smile to many a face :D

I didnt see the SBP article but heard that Hickey was sending emails to Marcus Evans telling him they had better be sure to cover their tracks- he has incriminated himself even further. At this stage his little circle jerk with Paul Williams on Newstalk last week just makes him look even worse. The guy is so arrogant though that he doesnt know when he is beaten.

In any case there is no way Hickey is going back to Brazil voluntarily. Does anyone remember who put up his 400k bond- was it the OCI or the IOC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sure we all know full well the second extradition is mentioned he will play the sick elderly man card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought there was an agreemrnt put inplace between Ireland and Brazil engineered to ensure Lynn could be brought back.
    It would be very sweet if this same agreement now helped return hickey to Brazil ..... to clear his name of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought there was an agreemrnt put inplace between Ireland and Brazil engineered to ensure Lynn could be brought back.
    It would be very sweet if this same agreement now helped return hickey to Brazil ..... to clear his name of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

VinLieger wrote: »
    Sure we all know full well the second extradition is mentioned he will play the sick elderly man card
    Sick of extradition. I'm sure he can get a cert for that.

• Advertisement

Well, if he can't fly, how long will it take, by boat to Rio?

Well the Judge gives some insight to the relationship with THG and Pro10. Paid $1.6m for rights to resell. Limited to a 20% mark up. That means the face value would be at least $8m simply to recoup their investment. Credible?

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/details-of-ticketing-deals-revealed-by-judge-investigating-olympic-scandal-36030551.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,318 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well the Judge gives some insight to the relationship with THG and Pro10. Paid $1.6m for rights to resell. Limited to a 20% mark up. That means the face value would be at least $8m simply to recoup their investment. Credible?

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/details-of-ticketing-deals-revealed-by-judge-investigating-olympic-scandal-36030551.html

Were they selling on the tickets at a huge mark up ie. effectively acting as black market ticket touts?

Lets say, something doesn't add up ie profit, if they were not.

But Pat knew nothing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,318 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lets say, something doesn't add up ie profit, if they were not.

But Pat knew nothing!!!

And surely Pat must have had raised eyebrows if he knew the company was paying the OCI a fortune for tickets with seemingly no chance of recouping their investment.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The report is a bit bizarre isn't it? €300K and all it basically concludes is that Pro10 was a front for THG. It says none of of the major players in the affair would co-operate with the investigation as is their right 'not to self incriminate'. Surely if you didn't do anything wrong there is no way to incriminate yourself by telling the truth?

Needless to say the bould Pat is saying he is exonerated despite him not co-operating and he is looking forward to resuming his international Olympic duties (duties no less! What would we do without selfless individuals like Pat giving freely of their time to live like Princes in the lap of luxury). The heart may allegedly be weak but the neck remains as strong as the jockey's proverbials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Irish independent basically working as a mouthpiece for Pat. No comments on any of the articles. Typical!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's interesting that they called the company THG given that THG - also known as Tetrahydrogestrinone - was the drug of choice of such luminaries as Marion Jones and Dwain Chambers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy, maybe they just dropped the U, another theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The OCI are tied into a ticketing deal with THG until 2026 and it looks watertight.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/oci-tied-into-contract-with-company-at-centre-of-rio-ticketing-scandal-until-2026-36031036.html

What happens if THG are rejected by the organising committees, as happened in Rio?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

maudgonner wrote: »
    What happens if THG are rejected by the organising committees, as happened in Rio?

We'll just have another tribunal.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement