Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secrets of a Police Marksman - Thursday 18th @ 10.00 pm Channel 4

Options
  • 17-08-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Looks interesting - tomorrow night, Thursday 18th @ 10.00 pm on Channel 4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/secrets-of-a-police-marksman?promo=coming_soon

Secrets of a Police Marksman

Tony Long was deployed on hundreds of dangerous police operations before the death of Azelle Rodney landed him in court for murder. He reveals what the life of a police marksman is like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I've had it set to record since last Friday I see previews for it. Looks decent bit of telly for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Will definitely try and catch it but I hope it's not completely sensationalised for TV,can do more harm than good sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Anyone get to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Anyone get to see this.

Yeah I watched it. Thought the title a little misleading considering none of what took place was "marksman" or "sniper" type operations, just general firearms operations.

That being said, I liked it and hopefully showed people the reality and consequences behind what it's like, making split second decisions, when you carry a firearm as part of your job. I had a laugh at a few bits as it echoed my own experience so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Anyone get to see this.

I watched it.

It was interesting & I enjoyed it but wasn't what I was expecting.

I though it would discuss the marksman training ....... weapons, choice of bullets, scopes, reticules, target training, distance take a shot at, where they aim for, tactics etc....it didn't really.

It covered the mental side & anguish of being a police marksman & the red tape when you have to fire a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

bravestar wrote: »
    I had a laugh at a few bits as it echoed my own experience so much.

That's a big admission. I didn't see anything funny in the programme. I thought it was an interesting approach to the subject & it was nice to get an insight into someone who's had to shoot someone and risk so much if they are judged to be wrong in the actions or decisions they have to make in a split second while defending the public from those who think they are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

That's a big admission. I didn't see anything funny in the programme. I thought it was an interesting approach to the subject & it was nice to get an insight into someone who's had to shoot someone and risk so much if they are judged to be wrong in the actions or decisions they have to make in a split second while defending the public from those who think they are above the law.[

Woah. I don't think he was actually laughing as such. More that he recognised some of the content personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

That's a big admission. I didn't see anything funny in the programme. I thought it was an interesting approach to the subject & it was nice to get an insight into someone who's had to shoot someone and risk so much if they are judged to be wrong in the actions or decisions they have to make in a split second while defending the public from those who think they are above the law.

Heckler is correct.

what I was actually referring to was his discussion in the pub with the old gangster and the story the older officer was telling him about being sent on a hunt for an armed fella ,who had killed police officers, and the officer was armed with a revolver wrapped in grease proof paper and told not to load it.

Seriously big admission...

Advertisement