Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did people get on in english?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Ok so i'm quite mad, got on well in all subjects with the exception of english.
    I have always been very good at english and got a b1 in the mocks (best in my class) even though I felt it went badly. The leaving actual leaving cert I felt went very well. But I got a D3.... yes a D3 the lowest mark without failing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Danny_Boi

I got an A2 after a B3 in the mocks.The subject is a complete lottery to be honest and I wouldn't worry too much about it if your points were enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Danny_Boi wrote: »
    I got an A2 after a B3 in the mocks.The subject is a complete lottery to be honest and I wouldn't worry too much about it if your points were enough

Seems to be a lot of A2s floating about, what's the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AtLeastITried

Yeah I know a few who got A2s but no A1s got a B3 myself with only a two and a half page story so I thought it was marked handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

English cost me as well. I average high Cs and low Bs but somehow got a D2, probably a recheck after getting 68 in the mock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have always been very good at english and got a b1 in the mocks (best in my class) even though I felt it went badly. The leaving actual leaving cert I felt went very well. But I got a D3.... yes a D3 the lowest mark without failing.

With that sort of a difference, it's worth viewing your scripts to see has there been a mistake adding up marks. Did an experienced SEC corrector correct your mocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Wasnt so happy with it, got a B2 and have always been good at english so i'm surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

I got a C1 which I was disappointed with. I've been getting high B's most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

I got an A2, got a B1 in the mocks so everything went to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I also got an A2 in English, up from a C1 in February. Personally I'm delighted, although all of the people who I expected to get an A1 got an A2 instead. I find it a bit peculiar, if I'm honest.

DA7800 wrote: »
    I also got an A2 in English, up from a C1 in February. Personally I'm delighted, although all of the people who I expected to get an A1 got an A2 instead. I find it a bit peculiar, if I'm honest.
    That's what I'm getting at actually. Just a shot in the dark here but are the SEC pulling some strings to phase in the new marking scheme? Overall it seems A1s are a little less common this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

B1, got a B3 in the mock, same work really just I actually learnt off quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jarumphadumpj

A1, thought it might have been an A2. Result was in line with the mocks and previous exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Got an A2 which I was happy with, was hoping for an A1 but I did think I made a mess of my Lear question so I wasn't too surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I got a B2 which is alright but I really needed a B1. Was so happy with English and I was so upset to see I got the same B2 i got in the mocks :(

Anyways I hope everyone is happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

Got an A2, delighted with results as a whole but disappointed with English, going to get it checked to satiate my own curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MessIsMine

I got an A1 after getting an A2 in my mocks. I don't know of anyone else who got an A1, too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I'm another A2 person, delighted as I thought I had made a mess of the composition

I wonder if the number of A2s will affect points on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AtLeastITried

I wonder if the number of A2s will affect points on Monday?

Possibly for courses with high points, I think courses in the 0-400 point range might fall due to the amount of fails in maths at ordinary level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Danny_Boi wrote: »

Was more than a decade ago, but I got a C1 on my mocks HL Chemistry and an E on the Leaving Cert, woops. Conversely got a B3 on my mocks HL English and an A1 on my LC. Mocks aren't necessarily indicative by any stretch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

First off, congrats to everyone and their results.

Going into 6th year next year with English being one of my weaker points.

Any tips on how to study this subject. I'm currently scraping a B grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Got my second A1 ayyyyyyyy. Was let down by some subjects but at least I can know I have a talent for my favourite subject. It's such a subjective subject though and sometimes under the pressure you talk a load of bollocks that's not representative of your true talent. If you got an A2, definitely appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED! I'm not counting english so I did ordinary level for 5th and 6th year. I paid no attention in class and barely did any homework for the two years. I got 43% in the mock but managed a b3 in the real thing. I thought I was reading wrong tbh. I guess the examiner enjoyed my descriptive essay about mars or maybe my comparative wasn't as brutal as I thought it was. Anyway, thank you examiner(s) :P I was somewhat worried that I would fail this one

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cheeto

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Got my second A1 ayyyyyyyy. Was let down by some subjects but at least I can know I have a talent for my favourite subject. It's such a subjective subject though and sometimes under the pressure you talk a load of bollocks that's not representative of your true talent. If you got an A2, definitely appeal it.

ayyyyyyyy.

cheeto wrote: »
    ayyyyyyyy.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

I got an A1, one of my friends also got an A1 & so many of my friends got A2s - the English examiners were obviously feeling very kind this year haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aoifem123

I got an A1 after getting an A2 in the mocks, cried in the car park I was so happy!

nikkilc wrote: »
    I got an A1, one of my friends also got an A1 & so many of my friends got A2s - the English examiners were obviously feeling very kind this year haha!
    The rate of A1's was actually exactly the same this year - 3.2%. Your friends must've earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Got an A2 aswell, to say I am in shock is an understatement. Use to almost cry going to English class every day. I tried to estimate my grades after each exam and had English as a C3. Honestly have no idea - there must be some mistake !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Got a B1, well happy with it, was my worst subject as languages aren't really my strong point. C1 in mocks

Advertisement