Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did people get on in english?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Friend of mine went down to our school to hand in the form for rechecks and talked to our principal, apparently the results in English were down significantly from the pres and our English teachers are encouraging most people to get theirs rechecked, definitely something weird going on with the English results this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

TSMGUY wrote: »
    The rate of A1's was actually exactly the same this year - 3.2%. Your friends must've earned it.

Just to clarify I didn't mean for it to sound like I thought the examiners were kind just because my friends got As, I was including myself in that too. We all just thought it was weird that we ALL got As.. but I guess I just happen to be friends with people who were in that top 3.2% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 katiekilg

I got an A1 and I'm totally shocked, couldn't even break into a C1 all year and ended up being bribed by my mum to sit the honours paper... wasn't planning on counting it so all I can say is I'm glad I didn't drop!!! My teacher reckons the fact i wasn't killing myself learning off reams meant I wasn't using the same notes as everyone else so I was a fresh breath in a pile of exams for the examiner. I'm fairly sure there was a mistake adding somewhere so I'm not saying a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I suspect your teacher is correct, and the fact that you answered using YOUR brain and ideas rather than obviously regurgitating someone else's ideas stood to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

First of all well done to everyone ! Just asking if anyone has any tips for improving exam technique in English? I perform well in class essays but when it comes to an exam I always run out of time and give very rushed answers. How can I improve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Practice, practice, practice writing essays / answering questions from old papers in the time which would be allowed in the exam. It will become easier the more you practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

Oisin4 wrote: »
    First of all well done to everyone ! Just asking if anyone has any tips for improving exam technique in English? I perform well in class essays but when it comes to an exam I always run out of time and give very rushed answers. How can I improve?

I second randylonghorn's advice, but add a little of my own - don't panic too much about the timing. I found that during the mocks especially I was highly conscious of timing, checking my watch after every paragraph. All it did was stress me out, and the exam went horribly. Practice, trust that you know the material and relax. In the actual LC things worked out much better, preparation and a little confidence in your own abilities will work wonders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 katiekilg

Oisin4 wrote: »

This method seemed to work for me - spend a long time writing out any relevant points you have on a topic, be it a poet or a mode for comparative or theme for your drama. Then try and pick out the strongest points - ones you have lots of quotes to back up and lots of personal response for. If you're working with points you have learned off instead of whole paragraphs, you can just fit in as many as you can in the time frame without having to cram.

Advertisement