Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electonic lock - new build

Options
  • 17-08-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to add an electronic lock to a external front door of a house in a new build. I'm at an early stage of planning for this but it is for someone who would like to use some form of a remote (Infrared preferred) / App to release the lock on the door.

I'm somewhat aware that there might be home insurance issues with doing this but will cross this bridge later.

Could I ask, if anyone could recommend a company who could provide this service and who would be available to provide a quote in the Galway & Mayo regions?

Also, any preferred form of door (PVC, Composite, Wooden) which handle locks like this better than others?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Hi,

I'm looking to add an electronic lock to a external front door of a house in a new build. I'm at an early stage of planning for this but it is for someone who would like to use some form of a remote (Infrared preferred) / App to release the lock on the door.

I'm somewhat aware that there might be home insurance issues with doing this but will cross this bridge later.

Could I ask, if anyone could recommend a company who could provide this service and who would be available to provide a quote in the Galway & Mayo regions?

Also, any preferred form of door (PVC, Composite, Wooden) which handle locks like this better than others?

thanks in advance

FYI Also consider fire escape. If the lock were to fail open to comply with fire regs then the building would be unsecured if the electricity went out. Maybe there will be some manual override system that will suffice, worth considering during your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭HappyDancer

Cheers JimmyMC

Agreed...was thinking of having a battery backup (UPS) to the setup in tandem with a manual method to open the door as well....just need to locate the supplier for the electronic component!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Cheers JimmyMC

Agreed...was thinking of having a battery backup (UPS) to the setup in tandem with a manual method to open the door as well....just need to locate the supplier for the electronic component!!!

I have only ever used these commercially so I am not sure of the regs for domestic purposes, the supplier may help you.
    http://www.alpro.co.uk/product/electric-solenoid-bolts-eb250-and-eb250ko

Advertisement