Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is appealing worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

kmcc1617 wrote: »
    Yeah my teacher and another teacher in the school both think I should appeal it, it's just so annoying like I was so close to the A2 and I had it but they changed it

Then go for it :) if you don't, you'll always regret it. Best of luck.
    LC2016 wrote: »
    I knew I was rightly disappointed with my English result. Originally given a B3 in red pen and then some d*** in green came back and marked down most questions and brought me down to a C1..

That means that your script was remarked by an advising examiner i.e. the examiners boss. Your examiner could have been too generous with marks and the marking has to be consistent hence the reason why you were brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I've checked both of my papers which I received D1 in. My accounting teacher said I was 4marks away and it could be easily be C3 and as for chemistry, there was a 9mark question that wasnmt checked and another 9 possible marks. I needed 12 to get the C3. I decided to just let it be. I accepted my offer already and the ten points wouldn't give me much difference anyway as Im too far off from architecture and decided that I'd just pursue it after I do structural or civil engineering. ☺️☺️ After all, atleast I knew that I was almost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

That means that your script was remarked by an advising examiner i.e. the examiners boss. Your examiner could have been too generous with marks and the marking has to be consistent hence the reason why you were brought down.

Some of the decreases in questions were very drastic that lead me to question it. For example I went from 78% to 66% in my poetry and 75 to 69 in my q1 essay. Almost seems like it was forced down to fit the bell shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some of the decreases in questions were very drastic that lead me to question it. For example I went from 78% to 66% in my poetry and 75 to 69 in my q1 essay. Almost seems like it was forced down to fit the bell shape.

Advisors correct a random sample of papers. They are experience examiners. As was already said, your examiner was probably too generous in the marks they awarded you and this was changed. Had the marks in green gone up instead of down, you wouldn't be asking for it to be changed back to the original mark, you'd be saying the first examiner was crap.

It could have been a first timer who was over generous. An advising examiners grade probably won't be changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

****ing eejit of a marker didn't mark my physics on my best 5 Q's in section B. Cheeky bastard gave me a low B1 when, by his own marks, I was only 10 away from an A1. Guess I got 565 points, not 560. Ridiculous that I have to do the whole appeals process because the guy didn't tot up my marks properly. On the bright side, I have 5 HL A's so Cambridge is looking v. likely!

TSMGUY wrote: »
    ****ing eejit of a marker didn't mark my physics on my best 5 Q's in section B. Cheeky bastard gave me a low B1 when, by his own marks, I was only 10 away from an A1. Guess I got 565 points, not 560. Ridiculous that I have to do the whole appeals process because the guy didn't tot up my marks properly. On the bright side, I have 5 HL A's so Cambridge is looking v. likely!

People are human, they put in long hours correcting. They make mistakes in their job, just like anyone else. Yes it's annoying, but at least you have the facility to view your papers and get it checked. On the other hand I viewed several physics papers this evening with my students and couldn't find a single mark anywhere. They were bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Advisors correct a random sample of papers. They are experience examiners. As was already said, your examiner was probably too generous in the marks they awarded you and this was changed. Had the marks in green gone up instead of down, you wouldn't be asking for it to be changed back to the original mark, you'd be saying the first examiner was crap.
    Well that still isn't exactly reassuring when probably about 19/20 of the people who were graded by the "over generous marker" received that grade given. It doesn't really matter anyway as I got my course and points, just a personal achievement thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

People are human, they put in long hours correcting. They make mistakes in their job, just like anyone else. Yes it's annoying, but at least you have the facility to view your papers and get it checked. On the other hand I viewed several physics papers this evening with my students and couldn't find a single mark anywhere. They were bang on.
    that's all well and good but when you put 1-2 years of effort into a subject, it's ridiculous to make that kind of mistake, it could've messed up my whole UCAS application. Like if I made a minute mistake in the physics exam, there'd be no "Ah sure, he's only human." I'm very pissed off, especially considering last year I was 1 mark off of a B1 in Physics and had to appeal to get it bumped up because the marker was atrocious. They haven't even reimbursed my 40 euros from last year either.......

And this isn't a tiny discrepancy either, he took a whole 24 marks off of my total.
    Well that still isn't exactly reassuring when probably about 19/20 of the people who were graded by the "generous first time marker" received that grade given. It doesn't really matter anyway as I got my course and points, just a personal achievement thing.

to reduce the marks in a subjective paper like English is just being a twat, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

that's all well and good but when you put 1-2 years of effort into a subject, it's ridiculous to make that kind of mistake, it could've messed up my whole UCAS application. Like if I made a minute mistake in the physics exam, there'd be no "Ah sure, he's only human." I'm very pissed off, especially considering last year I was 1 mark off of a B1 in Physics and had to appeal to get it bumped up because the marker was atrocious. They haven't even reimbursed my 40 euros from last year either.......

And this isn't a tiny discrepancy either, he took a whole 24 marks off of my total.

An examiner corrects about 400 papers usually. Even an A1 candidate makes some mistakes. If an examiner is an A1 examiner that would still leave somewhere between 0 and 40 scripts with an error. Very very few people are ever 100% correct in everything they do. The system at Leaving cert allows you to view your paper and appeal if you find a mistake

• Advertisement

Well that still isn't exactly reassuring when probably about 19/20 of the people who were graded by the "over generous marker" received that grade given. It doesn't really matter anyway as I got my course and points, just a personal achievement thing.

You can't say that without seeing all the other papers they corrected. You can only say that about your paper.

This is the same kind of argument you see on here on this forum when a student comes on complaining that their LC teacher has dared to have a baby during their LC year, and couldn't they have the baby at some other time. Other people's actions only become important when they affect you.

People make mistakes in all sorts of jobs. That includes correctors. Those mistakes do have knock on effects sometimes, but there is a mechanism for rectifying that error.

The viewing process started in 1999. I did my LC in 1996. There was no viewing process, I knew nothing about it, I was a straight A student in biology the whole way through 5th and 6th year but got a C3 in my LC, my lowest grade. I will never know to this day whether I screwed up that badly on the paper or whether it was marked poorly/added up wrong. There was no information then about appeals, even though they existed.

UCAS applications don't close until January. Appeal results are released by mid October. I don't see how it could have messed up your application.

That's a very unfair comment - you don't understand the time constraints and pressure from advising examiners that examiners are under. Examiners get around 400 scripts and three weeks to get through them. Everyone is human and I'm sure you have made a mistake at some stage and because mistakes can happen the viewing of scripts by candidates started so a few pairs of eyes can view the script and identify if there were mistakes in marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Administrative errors usually get fixed much quicker than if you were to get the whole paper remarked at least. Annoying but it's gonna happen to some papers every year.
    Viewing mine tomorrow morning, very curious to see my applied maths and maths papers.

89.5 in maths, three marks off.
    89 in dcg too, bit unfortunate. Project was marked rather harshly in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

9 marks off A1 in physics, should I appeal? Maths was marked pretty badly. I had fully correct solutions to a 15 marker question, they gave me 10. For other questions they gave me 7/10 when it should have been 10/10. The limits question I was given 7/15 even though my solution was fully correct and I put limits but apparently infinity wasn't written on that part of the q! Whilst I wrote that the answer approaches the correct co-ordinates. So many little mistakes in correcting. My teacher saw my friend's paper and they gave her full marks for some of the questions they docked me marks in:'). Definitely appealing maths. Not sure about physics. There were areas here and there were they were docking me 3 and 2 marks :'(. Where I honestly saw no fault, my examiner was v.v. v. strictly sticking to the marking scheme.

Misty_01 wrote: »
    9 marks off A1 in physics, should I appeal? Maths was marked pretty badly. I had fully correct solutions to a 15 marker question, they gave me 10. For other questions they gave me 7/10 when it should have been 10/10. The limits question I was given 7/15 even though my solution was fully correct and I put limits but apparently infinity wasn't written on that part of the q! Whilst I wrote that the answer approaches the correct co-ordinates. So many little mistakes in correcting. My teacher saw my friend's paper and they gave her full marks for some of the questions they docked me marks in:'). Definitely appealing maths. Not sure about physics. There were areas here and there were they were docking me 3 and 2 marks :'(. Where I honestly saw no fault, my examiner was v.v. v. strictly sticking to the marking scheme.

The question shouldn't be about appealing because you are 9 marks off an A1. Appeal examiners aren't going to look at your paper and go 'Misty is 9 marks off an A1, I should try and find them'. They are just going to correct your paper from scratch. The question should be: was there answers in your paper that were correct according to the marking scheme, but were not awarded any marks? Also if there were extra marks to be gained, and you get all of them do they total to at least 9. If the answer to all of those is yes, then appeal. If not, you are wasting your time.

Also do you need the points?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Does anyone know what the success rate is like for German ? I'm 4 marks off next grade which could get me my course. Also is the oral given the same mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

1 mark off biology and chemistry to move up a grade, examiner was harsh in bio. used hairs erected to describe piloerction while the marking said hairs standing up, SAME TERMINOLOGY

Jdoe wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the success rate is like for German ? I'm 4 marks off next grade which could get me my course. Also is the oral given the same mark ?

Success rates are irrelevant. Are there marks in your paper that were not awarded?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LC2016 wrote:

The 'over generous' marker has to go back following the advising examiner's marking and change their other papers to conform with the more experienced examiner's marking. This is probably what happened with the previous poster who said their paper was marked twice in red.
    onlinenerd wrote:
    1 mark off biology and chemistry to move up a grade, examiner was harsh in bio. used hairs erected to describe piloerction while the marking said hairs standing up, SAME TERMINOLOGY

Did the marking scheme specify that exact term was to be used, or did it allow for anything similar? The examiner has to follow the marking scheme exactly.

spurious wrote: »
    Did the marking scheme specify that exact term was to be used, or did it allow for anything similar? The examiner has to follow the marking scheme exactly.

It could also be that the student used the word erection to define the word (pilo)erection. That's not showing that they know what the word means.

• Advertisement

The question shouldn't be about appealing because you are 9 marks off an A1. Appeal examiners aren't going to look at your paper and go 'Misty is 9 marks off an A1, I should try and find them'. They are just going to correct your paper from scratch. The question should be: was there answers in your paper that were correct according to the marking scheme, but were not awarded any marks? Also if there were extra marks to be gained, and you get all of them do they total to at least 9. If the answer to all of those is yes, then appeal. If not, you are wasting your time.

Also do you need the points?

No, I don't need the points. It's just bugging me because I saw areas here and there were I was docked three / two marks because my answer was worded slightly differently from the marking scheme. I saw at least three of these. Additionally my examiner didn't seem to read my answers fully only underlining words that corresponded exactly with the marking scheme.
    Especially in the P-n conductors question.

Misty_01 wrote: »
    No, I don't need the points. It's just bugging me because I saw areas here and there were I was docked three / two marks because my answer was worded slightly differently from the marking scheme. I saw at least three of these. Additionally my examiner didn't seem to read my answers fully only underlining words that corresponded exactly with the marking scheme.
    Especially in the P-n conductors question.

The underlining is just to show where in your answer you were awarded the marks.

The underlining is just to show where in your answer you were awarded the marks.

Yes I am aware of that. I had 2 full A4 pages with loads of information and I didn't see any underlining, I read the marking scheme, and my answers were v.similar to what was required which should merit marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hrvo1998

Does anyone know when the results of the ap1 form are released? i know its a faster process than the normal appeals, I filled one out and i am supposed to get the 10 points i need for my first choice but i was hoping it would be before orientation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

What did everyone think of the chemistry and biology marking? Multiple mistakes in mine

What did everyone think of the chemistry and biology marking? Multiple mistakes in mine
    Yeah my chemistry was unfair definitions and experiments marked horribly along with the graph

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Yeah my chemistry was unfair definitions and experiments marked horribly along with the graph
    What gives do you think? It's like they just didn't want to give out A1s, marks taken away from me for no reason. My teacher literally wrote out a list of marking mistakes.

Plus, A1s in Chem were down 2% this year, what gives?

What gives do you think? It's like they just didn't want to give out A1s, marks taken away from me for no reason. My teacher literally wrote out a list of marking mistakes.

Plus, A1s in Chem were down 2% this year, what gives?

I guess last year more than 10% got more than 500 points for the first time ever so they wanted to bring the trend down for the first time ever

onlinenerd wrote: »
    I guess last year more than 10% got more than 500 points for the first time ever so they wanted to bring the trend down for the first time ever
    How nice of them to do it with two of my subjects which I thought were A1s for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    The 'over generous' marker has to go back following the advising examiner's marking and change their other papers to conform with the more experienced examiner's marking. This is probably what happened with the previous poster who said their paper was marked twice in red.
    This.

Most likely your paper was one of the papers sampled by the AE from the first 100 marked, this is usually where an over- (or under-) generous initial examiner is pulled up and sent back to re-mark the other 80/85 unsampled papers before they can even start on the remaining 300-350 papers in their front room (which will also be sampled btw, to ensure the initial examiner is consistently conforming to the marking scheme).

Advertisement