Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very overweight - joined the gym

• 17-08-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Wondering what type of programme I will get later when I do my first session! I will be gradually eased into it - right? It felt like the lady who I had the assessment with was shocked at my body fat percentage ratio and at how unfit I am. Hoping tonight will go ok, I'm even going to try aqua aerobics afterwards! I lost 6 lbs alone this week just by watching my diet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

pinkstars wrote: »
    Wondering what type of programme I will get later when I do my first session! I will be gradually eased into it - right? It felt like the lady who I had the assessment with was shocked at my body fat percentage ratio and at how unfit I am. Hoping tonight will go ok, I'm even going to try aqua aerobics afterwards! I lost 6 lbs alone this week just by watching my diet.

That's great, just remember going to the gym is not a substitute for watching what you eat. No idea what program you will get without knowing your goals and exactly how overweight you are or how able you are. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Maybe skip the aqua aerobics.

Chances are your first session in the gym will be pretty difficult. It is counter productive to do too much too soon.

If you hit the gym/swim seriously hard on day 1 then you are going to be in agony for the next few days. This will hurt your motivation and due to the muscle pain you probably wont be that physically active.

You're better off doing a reasonable amount in the gym on day 1 followed by some further light exercise the next day and working your way up to heavy sessions and aqua aerobics.

Maybe just go for a relaxing swim or sauna after the gym.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's a great start.

I really liked aqua aerobics when I was heavier so definitely give it a go as one of your weekly sessions. Once I lost some weight and got a bit fitter, I needed a more strenuous workout.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

pinkstars wrote: »

Diet is key.

After years of not looking after myself and eating/drinking crap, I have radically changed my diet and started back in the gym. I cut out all sugary foods (cakes, biscuits, scones), junk food (burgers, pizzas) and alcohol. Alcohol is key because I cannot crack open a bottle of wine and have one glass. If its open then the entire bottle is being consumed. Along with a plethora of snacks.

My diet now revolves around a healthy ratio of protein, fat and carbs obtained from wholsome, good foods. And lots of water.

Dinner last night was salmon, asparagus and broccoli.

You're diet is going to be 80% of the reason as to why you succeed in reaching your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck with it and please, don't give up

• Advertisement
Advertisement