Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Advice Please

• 17-08-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Afternoon All

Before anyone suggests it...I will be doing my own research but just wanted to check if there's any suggested options I should consider. I'm probably in a better position that most...as I'm just out of contract with VM (been with them on the full CableLink-NTL-UPC-VM journey).

I've the full VM package incl. Sky Sports, Setanta/BT (well I had), 240Mb broadband, multi-room and phone. I'm paying the guts of €200pm for the service. We're active BB users (laptops, tablets) plus I sometimes work from home. Mrs Raven also likes the Horizon multi recording.

The recent VM decision on Setanta/BT, weak wifi, Horizon recording issues plus the diabolical telephone support, makes we want to dump VM today. Removing the emotion however, I'd need to find a realistic alternative.

Our old Eircom line terminates at the side of the house...and old cables have been removed. Finally, there is an old satellite cable outside the house (no dish) running to God-knows-where somewhere in the attic.

Where do I start ??. Seek a deal from VM despite everything ?. Is their 240/360BB really miles better than Eir Fibre ?. I really want Setanta/BT back !!. Might a combination of VM BB and Vodafone TV be a runner ?.

Where do I start ??.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Deadwards.com

I would suggest getting Eir BB as you will then get access to BT sports foc. For TV viewing, if you were to get Sky, then you apparently can link up BT sports onto that foc as an Eir BB customer or alternatively renegotiate your plan with Virgin dropping the BB. I did similar and got a good deal to stay for 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

teh new Modem VM are iving out has great wifi and the broadband speeds are top nothch. You cant do eir or vodafone TV over Virgin internet so to use those you would be dropping internet speed considerably.

Perhaps ditch horizon and get a better modem in the process and get Sky TV?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

no discussion of anything illegal here please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

First thing I would suggest is to find out what sort of broadband you can get over eir lines, advising ditching VM is all very well until OP discovers that they can only get 10Mb over DSL.

Advertisement