Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages/disadvantages of buying a company car?

• 17-08-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am a founder of an early stage startup private limited company. I am on the road a lot of days and so am going to have to bite the bullet soon and buy a car. The vast majority of the car's use will be for business purposes.

I am wondering should I personally lend the business €6000 to the buy the car or should I just purchase it myself? Looking to find out the up and downsides of whichever way I might buy it.

If I lent the business the money to buy it would that mean that I could no longer buy the car privately? Also if the business bought it would the company be entitled to any money back from revenue like is the case with Vat?

The business is currently pre-revenue however we will be generating turnover in about 8 months time. Our financial year runs till August 2017.

Thanks for any advice!
    Taco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

If the company owns the car you have to pay BIK which is a percentage, based on your annual mileage of the original value of the car when new. Max percentage is 30% and it can reduce if your mileage is high.

VAT cannot be claimed back on passenger motor vehicles

As a director you can claim mileage at the civil service rates.

I would say in your situation buy the car yourself and claim mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

You can buy a commercial vehicle and not pay BIK at the same rate. There is a small BIK rate for something like your expenses getting to and from work which I am not 100% sure of but I'm sure some of the fine folk here will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Thanks guys, looks like I will just buy it nyself so!

Advertisement