Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of using a < 56K MODEM on any desktop or laptop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

US Robotics 56k WinModem
    Cheap dirt!

Most of the time the host PC wasn't fast enough to run these...
    Still, at the time it go me up to 33k, thanks to those registry tweaks, but only if there was nothing else at all running on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I reckon it was last in 2007 or 2008 at my parents' house in county Waterford. My dad had a Packard Bell laptop (Windows XP), which I think was the last computer the family had that had a modem port. Which incidentally had the worst graphics card I have ever seen. I remember using the IOL CD to 're-install' the connection many times. Until then realised that there was a simple way to type in the eircom dial-up number and connect. Would always connect at 26.4, 28.8 or if lucky 32kpbs. :cool: I convinced my parents to buy onspeed cos it would speed up the internet so much. It sort of did.

Dial-up did not slow down chats on MSN so that was okay. :D My other main use was looking up game cheats. Which could be quite a slow process.

They now have satellite broadband, no ADSL even available yet. Supposedly eir will bring fibre next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

whizbang wrote: »
    Cheap dirt!

Most of the time the host PC wasn't fast enough to run these...
    Still, at the time it go me up to 33k, thanks to those registry tweaks, but only if there was nothing else at all running on the pc.
    US Robotics 56k modem was cheap dirt?

Google the

Lucent Whitehorse

or other modems which would drop the line.

Dell manufactured their own modem as well.....this had an utter stinking reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I used a 3COM 56K modem to play MS Flight Simulator 98 online in the late 90s.

Are you sure you weren't still using a 56k modem until at least a few years after that?

Nobody in Ireland had broadband in their family home in the late 90s. I used ISDN myself and one way satellite (56k up, broadband down) until I finally got NTL cable broadband in their second test phase back in Lucan in '01 I think. Knocklyon was the first test area in Ireland a few months before and I was so jealous of them! Only a few very small areas of Dublin had cable broadband then and even fewer people had DSL

Ireland was on a par with several African countries up to about 2004-2005, we were so far behind the rest of Europe it made even our roads (hardly any motorways, also hard to believe now) look modern :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Alun wrote:
    Lightweights all of you, 300 baud acoustic couplers is where it's at

Used one of these around 1993 in the ar*e end of Australia to upload survey data.

Most recently stuck using dial-up in rural Tipperary in 2010, 3g coverage was unusable. Still can't get a landline and last time I checked with Comreg the minimum USO was still 28kbps.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dug this up

Linky

NTL only started cable broadband in early 2002! It must have been later in '02 for me in Lucan so. I was delighed when I got it. Their top offering, 512kbps down, effectively 12-15 times as fast as the fastest dial up :cool:

14 years later and my download speed is nearly 1000 times faster again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

unkel wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't still using a 56k modem until at least a few years after that?
    mmmm...
    This is true believe or not: I stopped playing games online after fs98. I owned fs2000 the one with the concorde on the cover - we all know why ms removed this from subsequent versions, 2002 2004 and FS X: I've never played these with other simmers from my own living room. Yes I was a member of the ifsd. And pc pilots club of Ireland. But life always got in the way.
    Back to topic.The last modem used by me is still there in my Lenovo P500. This thing is over 8 years old now. The modem has'nt been used for the past four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Used one of these around 1993 in the ar*e end of Australia to upload survey data.

Most recently stuck using dial-up in rural Tipperary in 2010, 3g coverage was unusable. Still can't get a landline and last time I checked with Comreg the minimum USO was still 28kbps.

It still is 28.8kbps :(

Advertisement