Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cabeling and signal question

• 17-08-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on this one.

I have Virgin call out to add a new point in the home. The guy told me he cant do it as the signal is already too low at -2 so if he were to split the signal, nether tv would work as the 2 signals would be too weak and he has not options. This doesn't sound right to me but of course I am no expert.

I was wondering if I would be able to get a digital signal booster that I could add prior to splitting the signal out to the 2 TV's. I assume I would need an F connector to female coax as I have a coax cable wired for the 2nd tv.

To clarify, I have one point coming into the house which would need to be split at the wall point for the 2 TV's.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is right - every time you split a signal you get half (or a little below half) the power on each split. They likely have no further capacity on their amplifiers and don't want to build out more for one extra sub.

You need an amplifier that covers the entire band in use and is able to pass signal back if you are using a box with any form of modem built in to it - Horizon is the obvious one but I believe all recorders also need to be able to return signals.

A generic "digital signal booster" does not meet these requirements, you would need to find something that does ~50Mhz->~800Mhz and allow passthrough. Its also quite possible Virgin would refuse to let you get the box without an install as they'd have reason for suspicion on where you're getting another feed from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Thanks L1011. In fact we had a second guy call out to us and he was able to boost the signal and do everything for us so all good now.

Advertisement