Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying wine for a wedding - good places to look for deals

• 17-08-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, we're supplying the wine for our reception and meal. We're looking into doing the booze cruise etc. but dont have any prices for buying in bulk here for a comparison.

We'll want circa 140 bottles wine, half sparkling if that changes anything.

Any recommendations on where to look? Would a trip to Newry offer better value for our needs? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We supplied the prosecco for our wedding and used supervalu. We were lucky in that we were able to combine a couple of offers to get a great price. It was on sale, then there was 25% off 6 bottles and then €10 off a €50 spend. We got about 40 bottles and it was difficult to locate enough of them i think we went to about 4 different supervalu's. However at the time Newry wasn't an option because of the exchange rate.

I looked into going to france but unless you are planning a holiday there it didn't seem to offer amazing value. Maybe someone who has done it can give a better cost breakdown for you.

Currently with the exchange rate Newry might be an option. Tesco UK offer buy online and collect in store for both Banbridge and Newry and they currently have a buy 6 get 25%off promotion. There is a limit of 12 for each wine. ie you can get 12 bottles of prosecco 1, 12 bottles of proseccco 2 or white wine etc in the one order so you might have to do multiple orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

M&S have some great deals on atm, I'm not sure if 12 months in advance is too far? At moment it's averaging 7.50e a bottle, we wouldn't beat that on the ferry with our volumes taking into account costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We bought nine months in advance but we had somewhere to store it. Do you have a suitable place?

ahayes84 wrote: »
    We bought nine months in advance but we had somewhere to store it. Do you have a suitable place?

I should do, we have a few options. Think I might take the plunge on the sparkling at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Ferry to france!

• Advertisement

How much money did you spend going to France? Is it really worth the cost of the trip for 10/20 cases?

How much would you spend on a basic sparkling wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

might be worth looking at some wine merchants in ireland? We went to O'Briens who are offering us to tailor the wine to the menu. Do tasting and also to transport all the wine for the event.

might be worth looking at some wine merchants in ireland? We went to O'Briens who are offering us to tailor the wine to the menu. Do tasting and also to transport all the wine for the event.

Do you mind me asking the price per bottle and the quality etc?
    PM me if it'd make you more comfortable?

I'm really tempted to go any buy the prosecco now, less than 7e each seems very good, but I'll def do more research on the white and red options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

We went to O'Briens, mainly because they do free delivery on orders over 60 euro and they will take back up to 25% of what you order (I felt I was erring on the side of caution with regard to quantity so I thought there was a possibility of there being a lot left over, although there really wasn't much left at all so I didn't bother returning it). They only offered a tasting of one white wine, maybe because it was a busy day, I'm not sure; if I was doing it again (!) I'd push for proper tasting but I'm not much of a wine buff and my OH hardly drinks at all and never wine so I'm not sure it would have made much difference to us.

hollypink wrote: »
    We went to O'Briens, mainly because they do free delivery on orders over 60 euro and they will take back up to 25% of what you order (I felt I was erring on the side of caution with regard to quantity so I thought there was a possibility of there being a lot left over, although there really wasn't much left at all so I didn't bother returning it). They only offered a tasting of one white wine, maybe because it was a busy day, I'm not sure; if I was doing it again (!) I'd push for proper tasting but I'm not much of a wine buff and my OH hardly drinks at all and never wine so I'm not sure it would have made much difference to us.

Thats Great to know, yeah i seemed impressed with the staff and the service they offer, so we will more than likely be going with them. They said to book appointment and leave menu. The OH is all about the wine so i figure its only one day might as well get something good.

• Advertisement

Do O'Briens offer any discount for buying in bulk?

i sent you a PM GingerLily, I have no idea, certainly worth asking. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheFunnyOne

I've enquired a few places recently.

The best concrete figures I've come across in proper wine shops in Dublin are:

"The Corkscrew" offer discounts off bulk orders (min 10% - may be higher depending on selection). They also offer tasting, menu matching, free delivery and 100% sale or return. They also have a good selection of quality wines.

"Wines on The Green" offer 20% discount off a bulk order, 25% sale or return, tasting, matching and delivery.

Im signed up for one fab day mails i got this today on wines,hope its ok to post.
    http://onefabday.com/ie/where-to-buy-champagne-and-wine-online/?redirect=1

Im signed up for one fab day mails i got this today on wines,hope its ok to post.
    http://onefabday.com/ie/where-to-buy-champagne-and-wine-online/?redirect=1

I saw this too, I have wondered if they saw this thread! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I bought the wine for my sister's reception. In the end I bought from Curious Wines in Cork, although they also have a shop in Naas and will deliver. They do bulk buys, and will take back unopened wine.

They're not the only place doing this kind of deal, so it's definitely worth talking to the independent wine importers/retailers

Advertisement