Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False accusations by Manager

Options
  • 17-08-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

OK so I work for a company that has a bit of a reputation for being awful to staff. However I got on OK for the first few months. Recently the company got a new Operations Manager and suddenly she wanted to whip the department into shape being an over bearing, brutish type beat into a cheap suit straining to hold in her several spare types of body fat. Immediately she was scolding people on stats and had an informal meeting with many members on their stats. (It's a call centre/tech chat company offering customer service by the way.) During my 'informal'; much more like an ambush this manger had an aggressive tone and within 2 minutes said that there had been a reported complaint that I was aggressive to my team leader!. I was shocked. First I had ever heard of this and I asked her several times for a source, proof, a time a date, whom made the complaint and that I could not defend myself against a complaint that I hadn't been made aware of not to mention how unethical it was to bring it up at a 'informal' meeting. She kept saying she can provide proof in future and very aggressively was smirking say how I'd have to explain myself to HR and defend my job. A right nasty piece of work. I also explained how I have a terrminally ill father and she said well maybe you're not in the right frame of mind for the job. I replied are you trying to suggest having a seriously ill father could terminate my employment?!?

When I asked said person I was accused of being abusive toward in question had anything like this ever happened she was surprised and taken aback and said of course not!.
    I know this manager has it 'in for me' and does not like me; one reason is I pointed out how absurd and unworkable some new 'effiecncy policies' were and I'm one of the very few in the company in a Union. I know it's a somewhat of a crap company but I've nothing else lined up and know they are looking for any excuse to get rid of me; which is very easy in a big brother like company like that were bathroom breaks can be monitored!. I feel upset by the whole thing and would like to know how best to deal with it. Keeping in mind this company managers don't tend to turn on one another here so HR ; reporting it to them well she's bossom buddies with some of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OK so I work for a company that has a bit of a reputation for being awful to staff. However I got on OK for the first few months. Recently the company got a new Operations Manager and suddenly she wanted to whip the department into shape being an over bearing, brutish type beat into a cheap suit straining to hold in her several spare types of body fat. Immediately she was scolding people on stats and had an informal meeting with many members on their stats. (It's a call centre/tech chat company offering customer service by the way.) During my 'informal'; much more like an ambush this manger had an aggressive tone and within 2 minutes said that there had been a reported complaint that I was aggressive to my team leader!. I was shocked. First I had ever heard of this and I asked her several times for a source, proof, a time a date, whom made the complaint and that I could not defend myself against a complaint that I hadn't been made aware of not to mention how unethical it was to bring it up at a 'informal' meeting. She kept saying she can provide proof in future and very aggressively was smirking say how I'd have to explain myself to HR and defend my job. A right nasty piece of work. I also explained how I have a terrminally ill father and she said well maybe you're not in the right frame of mind for the job. I replied are you trying to suggest having a seriously ill father could terminate my employment?!?

When I asked said person I was accused of being abusive toward in question had anything like this ever happened she was surprised and taken aback and said of course not!.
    I know this manager has it 'in for me' and does not like me; one reason is I pointed out how absurd and unworkable some new 'effiecncy policies' were and I'm one of the very few in the company in a Union. I know it's a somewhat of a crap company but I've nothing else lined up and know they are looking for any excuse to get rid of me; which is very easy in a big brother like company like that were bathroom breaks can be monitored!. I feel upset by the whole thing and would like to know how best to deal with it. Keeping in mind this company managers don't tend to turn on one another here so HR ; reporting it to them well she's bossom buddies with some of them.
    If there's a formal complaint against you then you're due to face those complaints in front of your line manager as well as a witness of your choice, usually a union rep. It should also be documented and signed by all parties. You contract should contain a grievance policy procedure and they should be following each and every step within that policy. If they're not then keep shtum and document everything on your own. Remember HR dept are there to protect the company's interest, not yours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

duploelabs wrote: »
    If there's a formal complaint against you then you're due to face those complaints in front of your line manager as well as a witness of your choice, usually a union rep. It should also be documented and signed by all parties. You contract should contain a grievance policy procedure and they should be following each and every step within that policy. If they're not then keep shtum and document everything on your own. Remember HR dept are there to protect the company's interest, not yours

Duly noted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I mean this sincerely... take all emotion and personal comments out of this discussion. Calling her the following is not professional. It demeans your complaint.
    an over bearing, brutish type beat into a cheap suit straining to hold in her several spare types of body fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm afraid not. If someone from the company in question figured out who the OP was, do you think this would be counted in his favour? Or ignored, because "it was outside work"?

Companies are increasingly using social media etc to vet candidates. What you say online can haunt you.

Plus, if the OP is saying this here, there's a possibility that he's displaying similar attitudes at work. Keeping it cool, calm and professional is what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Patww79 wrote:

Someone very close to me was disciplined for gross misconduct over a Boards post in which they never even named the company. All it takes is for someone to recognise the OP and dob them in and they're in a sh*tstorm of trouble.

dudara wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. If someone from the company in question figured out who the OP was, do you think this would be counted in his favour? Or ignored, because "it was outside work"?

Companies are increasingly using social media etc to vet candidates. What you say online can haunt you.

Plus, if the OP is saying this here, there's a possibility that he's displaying similar attitudes at work. Keeping it cool, calm and professional is what is needed.

Duly noted your holier than thou palaver but the comment wasn't suppose to be professional as neither was she. In fact she was grossly unprofessional.

How can you assume anything of my attitude at work? Height of arrogance that.

Could we please please try and keep this thead on topic? Derailed already jeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

To be honest if the attitude you are displaying on this thread is coming across in work, you are doing yourself no favours. That comment about the manager at work is uncalled for and the height of unprofessionalism.
    I am also at a loss as to why you brought up your father's illness when your work performance was under question. It is quite a horrible situation to be in, however It could be viewed as an excuse for your work performance. And therefore could question your ability to perform your role at this time.

cee_jay wrote: »
    To be honest if the attitude you are displaying on this thread is coming across in work, you are doing yourself no favours. That comment about the manager at work is uncalled for and the height of unprofessionalism.
    I am also at a loss as to why you brought up your father's illness when your work performance was under question. It is quite a horrible situation to be in, however It could be viewed as an excuse for your work performance. And therefore could question your ability to perform your role at this time.

As said already the comment wasn't meant to be professional what part of me stating that did you not get? Obviously I'm upset with said person. What I find really interesting is the insistence of mods/admins on this to derail the thread by focusing on one tiny comment and climbing up on their high horse in the process. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What's her dress sense and weight got to do with it? Maybe she detects your scorn for her and is using her authority to get back at you. As said earlier you'll have to bring it all up at the meeting with the accuser and HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As said already the comment wasn't meant to be professional what part of me stating that did you not get? Obviously I'm upset with said person. What I find really interesting is the insistence of mods/admins on this to derail the thread by focusing on one tiny comment and climbing up on their high horse in the process. Hmmmm

I read your first post and get as far as the rolls of fat comment before switching off to your rants as a narky person with a chip on their shoulder.

Your subsequent comments show an aggressive individual with an attitude problem.

Your posts read as very hostile.

And I'm not a moderator.

anewme wrote: »
    I read your first post and get as far as the rolls of fat comment before switching off to your rants as a narky person with a chip on their shoulder.

Your subsequent comments show an aggressive individual with an attitude problem.

And I'm not a moderator.

Not with all the charity work and people always complimenting me on a positive attitude so not I'm the least aggressive person you could meet. Feel aggrieved she would lie so much and be astonished if it went to hr as she cannot source any evidence whatsoever. If it does so be it but knowing this company if they had ANYTHING at all they would give me the allocated 48 hrs and have a meeting asap. Over a week now.

Attitude problem eh, says the guy willing to thinly veiled attack someone on boards.ie cos I typed something they disagree with. God forbid!!.
    Judge not least ye be judged!

Not with all the charity work and people always complimenting me on a positive attitude so not I'm the least aggressive person you could meet. Feel aggrieved she would lie so much and be astonished if it went to hr as she cannot source any evidence whatsoever. If it does so be it.

Attitude problem eh, says the guy willing to thinly veiled attack someone on boards.ie cos I typed something they disagree with. God forbid!!.
    Judge not least ye be judged!

It's not an attack. Your communication style is very aggressive and defensive. It's understandable why people are questioning if this is how you are in real life.

Your posts come across as vicious.

Maybe you should look at becoming more self aware and how your communication skills are projecting.

You should never have made the cheap suit comments. They were nasty uncalled for and unnecessary to the topic.

To be perfectly honest, there's nothing nice about a person who would make these kind of personal comments about a colleague, irrespective of any charity work. Jimmy Saville did loads of charity work and he was not a nice man.

I'm not a mod I'm not a guy, I'm a woman...and my suit is very expensive...and fits well.

anewme wrote: »
    It's not an attack. Your communication style is very aggressive and defensive. It's understandable why people are questioning if this is how you are in real life.

Your posts come across as vicious.

Maybe you should look at becoming more self aware and how your communication skills are projecting.

You should never have made the cheap suit comments. They were nasty uncalled for and unnecessary to the topic.

I'm not a mod I'm not a guy, I'm a woman...and my suit is very expensive...and fits well.

Nice try. It is an attack. No on mentioned you or your suit whatsoever?!?! What is the point of that nonsense?

Just a suggestion, I really think you shouldn't be so nasty to strangers and try learn to be a little sensitive to those whom might be going through very difficult issues. Very telling of someone who decides to be very nasty of those in strenuous circumstances.

Like I typed previously
    Judge not least ye be judged.

Nice try. It is an attack. No on mentioned you or your suit whatsoever?!?! What is the point of that nonsense?

Just a suggestion, I really think you shouldn't be so nasty to strangers and try learn to be a little sensitive to those whom might be going through very difficult issues. Very telling of someone who decides to be very nasty of those in strenuous circumstances.

Like I typed previously
    Judge not least ye be judged.

You have a policy of commenting on womens suits.

I'm really not attacking you. By making nasty uncalled for comments on your boss, you lost a lot of sympathy.

When people commented on it, you blamed mods on derailing your thread😕

It does not matter what circumstances you are in, comments such as yours never reflect well on those making them.

We all have our problems, we can't use them as excuses.

Maybe even your boss has strenuous circumstances?

You reap what you sow comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I'm not a mod. However they are giving you good advice, take it mate.

I know nothing about you but just going by the chip you seem to have with mods here, I can imagine how you could also have issues with a manager in work.

In short your attitude is doing you no favours at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

.... I feel upset by the whole thing and would like to know how best to deal with it.....

I would do nothing. You don't seem to have been asked to do anything. I would read up on company policy and become familiar with it. You've not been told its verbal warning or indeed any kind of warning.Just keep a diary of events. But don't do anything with them until you need them later. I would let the manager keep on doing things, not by the book as then they are invalid if a dispute actually does arise. They probably won't be aware to keep a record.

if your manager is telling you do do something, ask for it in writing, and if they don't do that, then just write it up yourself, and email it back to the manager a confirmation. Then there is a record, and they manager is responsible if they don't correct anything you inform them off. The one thing you need to do is look at your stats. Analyse them see how you can make them better. Most stats can be manipulated. One way is to get in early and do all the fast quick jobs. Once your stats are good, then its very hard to suggest your not doing your work.

No point getting into an argument and putting all your cards on the table. You need to manipulate the situation to your advantage and make yourself look good. Ultimately, you need to move to a different area within the same company, or change jobs. So don't burn the bridges where you are. Get a reference from the managers you do get on with. With that in your pocket you are free to just leave.

Don't get involved in petty arguments. Think of the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

To be fair to the OP, the majority of his post paints a fairly comprehensive picture of what his manager is like, and she sounds not just horrid but also deeply unprofessional.

The OP made an unnecessary dig at her but I don't see why that should negate the rest of his post.

OP, unfortunately this person is in a significant position of power so all I can suggest is keep the head down for now and document everything that is happening and being said. You want to have your stuff together if you have to eventually take her on by going to HR.

How do your colleagues view her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Could you keep a diary of events taking place and bring a bullying case against them if things keep getting worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OP has got a ban for pointy posts so I don't think they'll be replying any time soon

Mod:
    Only a slight correction here but the OP is not banned (forum or site)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

First I had ever heard of this and I asked her several times for a source, proof, a time a date, whom made the complaint and that I could not defend myself against a complaint that I hadn't been made aware of not to mention how unethical it was to bring it up at a 'informal' meeting. She kept saying she can provide proof in future and very aggressively was smirking say how I'd have to explain myself to HR and defend my job.

I can't understand why everyone jumped at the OP over being unprofessional yet no one highlighted how unprofessional this was from the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

manager was unprofessional, and out of line.

isn't following procedure, however, OP ruined his chances by insulting her appearance before talking about what happened. i literally stopped reading after that,

he also broke protocol by approaching someone he had been told made a complaint about him, this is basic.

the manager might be a total dick but he's not exactly innocent, his post comes across that he reacted badly to the manger speaking to him about it as well.

''First I had ever heard of this and I asked her several times for a source, proof, a time a date, whom made the complaint and that I could not defend myself against a complaint that I hadn't been made aware of not to mention how unethical it was to bring it up at a 'informal' meeting. ''

ask once if you dont get an answer move on. and dont call the person disciplining you unethical for obvious reasons. it smacks of im the victim but i was also an asshole. these things dont come out of nowhere like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OK so I work for a company that has a bit of a reputation for being awful to staff. However I got on OK for the first few months. Recently the company got a new Operations Manager and suddenly she wanted to whip the department into shape being an over bearing, brutish type beat into a cheap suit straining to hold in her several spare types of body fat.

Stop right there with that. It doesn't impact at all as to whether the manager can do the job and is quite childish. Won't help you. Think if it if you want (although still bad) but keep it to yourself.
    Immediately she was scolding people on stats and had an informal meeting with many members on their stats. (It's a call centre/tech chat company offering customer service by the way.)

If she was brought in to whip the department into shape, I wouldn't see anything strange in this. If the stats weren't up to standard, then it would be expected.
    During my 'informal'; much more like an ambush this manger had an aggressive tone and within 2 minutes said that there had been a reported complaint that I was aggressive to my team leader!. I was shocked. First I had ever heard of this and I asked her several times for a source, proof, a time a date, whom made the complaint and that I could not defend myself against a complaint that I hadn't been made aware of not to mention how unethical it was to bring it up at a 'informal' meeting. She kept saying she can provide proof in future and very aggressively was smirking say how I'd have to explain myself to HR and defend my job. A right nasty piece of work.

I've worked in investigating ethics and compliance in a couple of orgs and I would never give the subject the name of the person who made the initial complaint. People often make these with the understanding that it is done in confidence and aimed at preventing retaliation or intimidation. Yes it was bad to bring it up at an informal meeting but she may have just been trying to give you the heads up.

I don't know how you aggressively smirk but did she actually use the words "defend your job"? If so, then maybe take a step back, think about your behaviour and come up with a defense that isn't just her being out to get you.

I also explained how I have a terrminally ill father and she said well maybe you're not in the right frame of mind for the job. I replied are you trying to suggest having a seriously ill father could terminate my employment?!?

Sorry about your dad - I've been in that position. Again are you sure that she was suggesting terminating your employment over this? I had a manager say similar to me when I was in that situation and it was more around whether I needed some time off or if my performance (which had dipped a little) could have been attributed to this rather than anything else.

Would you have reacted any differently if a person you'd made a complaint about being abusive to started asking you questions about it? Really?

Ok so did you try any of the policies she wanted to bring in before blasting them? Was this done in front of the team? If so, can you see how maybe you've gotten her back up. Turn the tables for a minute - you're in a new managerial role and charged with making a department more efficient. You try to implement new things and someone straight off tells you how absurd and unworkable your solutions are in front of the whole team thus demeaning your authority. Are you really going to like that person straight off? Or think you have a trouble maker on your hands.

I'm not saying it's all your fault but really you seem to not like this manager and have your nose out of joint because of the new work practices she's trying to bring in. I don't think that's helping your case.

How to deal with it - talk to your manager and ask about arranging this meeting with HR as you'd like to clear this up as soon as possible. Bring a witness to the interview with you. Stay calm, keep your head down and do they job they're paying you to do. Don't stick your head above the parapet, don't antagonise your manager, whether you like her or not is irrelevant. Stay away from the person who you were apparently abusive to and don't mention it again - it could be viewed as aggressive to go after them.

@ Witchgirl jeff and livedadream thank you for being polite and mature. I appreciate it so so rare on boards.ie. Duly noted

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I can't understand why everyone jumped at the OP over being unprofessional yet no one highlighted how unprofessional this was from the manager.

You can't change the manager. So IMO there's no point focusing on the manager. The focus should not be on the negatives, but what positives, you can can get out of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

beauf wrote: »
    You can't change the manager. So IMO there's no point focusing on the manager. The focus should not be on the negatives, but what positives, you can can get out of the situation.

Ah come on. If a manager started sniggering at you and said you'd have to defend your job due to a complaint against you are you seriously saying you'd take the same advise your giving the OP?

Ah come on. If a manager started sniggering at you and said you'd have to defend your job due to a complaint against you are you seriously saying you'd take the same advise your giving the OP?

On the ball Jeff. Only took 3 pages to get a relevant response and cease the vindictive spiteful witch-hunt which I for the life of me don't understand. Anyway thinking of handing in my notice, 1 year with said company and a new unhinged sociopath manager is bit too much for a sensitive soul like me, said manager whom countless people have complained about. No she's not forcing me out being thinking of greener pastures for a while and got a contract for a side project I do to keep me going for now too. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

@ Witchgirl jeff and livedadream thank you for being polite and mature. I appreciate it so so rare on boards.ie. Duly noted

i think your the only person who the word asshole has been used to describe thats thanked me..

have a feeling you didnt really read my post...:eek:

• Advertisement

Yes. Was there something specific you had a problem with. Or is it everything like recording all interactions, and making sure your stats were impeccable.

If you worked in HR and someone made complaint that a manager sniggered at them, and informed them of a complaint. What sort of action would you take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement