Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery signed for by neighbours, now lost

Options
  • 17-08-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short I ordered an item online. Item was delivered by courier when I was at work. Item was signed for by neighbours who now deny accepting it. Courier has given house number and description of the person who signed for it so I'm sure it's the right person. Do I have any comeback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Courier company, I'd imagine? They weren't contracted to deliver to 'not you at your address'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

The courier company is at fault but I think your contract is with the seller so tell them it was allegedly delivered to the wrong address, either ways I think it is the sellers responsibility to ensure delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

And your neighbours stole it. Depending on your relationship with them, consider the gardai

I wonder how long it will be before all couriers / delivery people will have cameras attached to their uniforms / clothes so as to clarify any disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And your neighbours stole it. Depending on your relationship with them, consider the gardai

Ooh that's a big jump. Why not the courier covering his back?

Courier delivered to me one day, handed me the parcel and as he walked away I could see him signing the receipt yoke that they carry. No reason why he could not have asked me. I had the parcel though so no reason to make an issue of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

endacl wrote: »
    Courier company, I'd imagine? They weren't contracted to deliver to 'not you at your address'.

I don't understand ? Is their responsibility just to deliver the parcel even if it's not signed for by the person who ordered it? They didn't even drop in a card or anything to let me know they had called which I thought was the norm. Fuming here :mad:

Its not a very expensive item so they probably won't bother doing anything but I will contact regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

eviltwin wrote: »
    Its not a very expensive item so they probably won't bother doing anything but I will contact regardless

Why would you contact the Gardai?
    It's up to the courier company to do that as your neighbour stole from them if they're telling the truth.
    In the meantime the company that you placed the order with still haven't delivered the item to you so they should either refund you or resend the item...

Well if the courier can identify the person who signed for it then that should be adequate for the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

A relative sent my son a birthday card with money in it once.
    He put number 7 instead of number 8 on the address which we found out when he asked if my son got the card the next week.
    I know they got it because when i asked the postman he said he remembered delivering the card (the envelope had loads of little cartoons drawn all over it by the relative) next door.
    We asked the neighbours and they said they never got it. Bold as brass. Nothing we could do though. Some people are just scum bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

First thing to do would be to request a copy of the signature. There's a couple of different ways this could have happened:

1. Courier delivered to the wrong address accidentally and without verifying, opportunistic neighbours played along and took your parcel.
    2. Courier assumed he/she was doing you a favour by leaving it with your neighbours, opportunistic neighbours decided to keep whatever your parcel was and dump the courier in it.

You can pursue it with both the courier company and your neighbours. The courier is obliged to deliver to the named and addressed individual on the item unless told otherwise by said individual.

I'd call back the courier company, request a written statement and copy of signature, as it is your intention to report your neighbours to the police. Then, once you have what you need, tell them that it is also your intention to seek compensation from them for the misdelivery. Once you have what you requested, I'd report your neighbours to the gards too, because they sound like horrible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I wonder how long it will be before all couriers / delivery people will have cameras attached to their uniforms / clothes so as to clarify any disputes.

Why shouldn't they simply stop this nonsense of delivering to any random person who happens to live near you and/or who happens to pass your house at the time of delivery? No way should this practice be accepted unless they have been explicitly instructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

hognef wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they simply stop this nonsense of delivering to any random person who happens to live near you and/or who happens to pass your house at the time of delivery? No way should this practice be accepted unless they have been explicitly instructed.

I know Nightline left two brand new Samsung phones with my neighbour luckily enough she dropped them in when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - this is not a thread for your personal anecdotes. Please focus on offering advice to OP.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jaxxy wrote: »
    First thing to do would be to request a copy of the signature. There's a couple of different ways this could have happened:

1. Courier delivered to the wrong address accidentally and without verifying, opportunistic neighbours played along and took your parcel.
    2. Courier assumed he/she was doing you a favour by leaving it with your neighbours, opportunistic neighbours decided to keep whatever your parcel was and dump the courier in it.

You can pursue it with both the courier company and your neighbours. The courier is obliged to deliver to the named and addressed individual on the item unless told otherwise by said individual.

I'd call back the courier company, request a written statement and copy of signature, as it is your intention to report your neighbours to the police. Then, once you have what you need, tell them that it is also your intention to seek compensation from them for the misdelivery. Once you have what you requested, I'd report your neighbours to the gards too, because they sound like horrible people.

That would be useful if the OP had any contract with the courier company, they don't. All the OP can do is contact the sender and inform them that the item wasn't delivered. It's up to the sender then how they deal with the courier company and the OPs neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Sometimes you can go to the courier's homepage and get a screenshot of the signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The OP has no recourse to the Gardai as the supplier is the party at a loss of the goods. The OP has no contract with the courier either.

Del2005 wrote: »
    That would be useful if the OP had any contract with the courier company, they don't. All the OP can do is contact the sender and inform them that the item wasn't delivered. It's up to the sender then how they deal with the courier company and the OPs neighbour.

True, but the sender might not do anything at all. As far as they're concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for, not to mention the fact that this item could have been purchased on eBay, from China, for example, and the courier company used here to deliver would be in partnership with another postal company from the country of origin. If that's the case then I know I personally would pursue it myself.

There are a lot of variables to be honest. If the item was ordered from a company's website you'd have recourse. If it was bought from a private seller, who has received notification that the item was successfully delivered and signed for then it's much less cut and dry.

The OP has no recourse to the Gardai as the supplier is the party at a loss of the goods. The OP has no contract with the courier either.

Never said OP had contract with the courier tbh, nor intimated that there could be any more gain than personal satisfaction by reporting it to the gardai.

True, but the sender might not do anything at all. As far as they're concerned, the item has been delivered and signed for, not to mention the fact that this item could have been purchased on eBay, from China, for example, and the courier company used here to deliver would be in partnership with another postal company from the country of origin. If that's the case then I know I personally would pursue it myself.

There are a lot of variables to be honest. If the item was ordered from a company's website you'd have recourse. If it was bought from a private seller, who has received notification that the item was successfully delivered and signed for then it's much less cut and dry.

I bought it on Ebay but from a well known, reputable company so I'm hoping they won't fob me off.

I'm just wondering what my rights are really so I can be confident in my reply. Does the fact the item was delivered to someone mean the contract has been fulfilled? Surely the courier has to inform you via a delivery note where the item was dropped?

Can I get a replacement or my money back?

• Advertisement

I bought it on Ebay but from a well known, reputable company so I'm hoping they won't fob me off.

I'm just wondering what my rights are really so I can be confident in my reply. Does the fact the item was delivered to someone mean the contract has been fulfilled? Surely the courier has to inform you via a delivery note where the item was dropped?

It has to be delivered to you. If they're a reputable company/seller, then I'd imagine they most likely will send you a replacement after you get in contact and explain the situation. Like the others have said, it's up to the seller then to pursue any further action with the courier company.

You are fully entitled to refund or replacement. It boils down to the simple fact that YOU did not receive the goods. All else is a matter between the supplier and the courier.

Never said OP had contract with the courier tbh, nor intimated that there could be any more gain than personal satisfaction by reporting it to the gardai.
    Again. The OP has no recourse to the Gardai. No action can be taken from them reporting anything. Just a waste of time for the OP and the Gardaí

Again. The OP has no recourse to the Gardai. No action can be taken from them reporting anything. Just a waste of time for the OP and the Gardaí

No action needs to be taken. And precedent is never a waste of time. We don't know the nature of the relationship between eviltwin and her neighbours; reporting it could be useful at a later date.

Once the courier company asks what is the complaint they'll tell the OP that they have no contract with them so have no need to deal with them.

If the seller doesn't do anything then the OP has to follow up with their credit card company or PayPal, if they paid any other way they'll have to see what consumer law exists in the country they bought from.

You ordered an item and it wasn't delivered to you so you should be OK. If the seller produces a signature that isn't yours then they need to deal with the courier company that they contracted with. Log a ticket ASAP with the company via eBay, don't do any correspondence outside eBay, and if not hopefully you paid with PayPal so they'll most likely refund you.

Replacement or refund is up to the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Replacement or refund is up to the vendor.
    This. Your contract is with the seller. Situations like this are the cost of doing business. If the seller doesn't play ball contact ebay/paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I always get my packages delivered to a small local shop near where I live, I shop there all the time and they seem happy to do it for me.

Worth a shot maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

With Ebay it is simple. Contact the seller asking for a refund/replacement. Should they decide not to do one or the other you can open a Paypal dispute. Paypal will side with you 100% of the time in this scenario.

I run Ebay and Amazon shops. I have refunded hundreds if not thousands over the years in similar situations.

The majority of sellers don't want the hassle/bad feedback particularly for low cost items.

They can also claim with the courier should they wish.

Not referring to the OP but people ordering items to places when they are never at home to sign for is one of the main problems. It is costly and time consuming for couriers to retry deliveries. They leave items with neighbours for convenience for both themselves and the customer. The alternative would be the customer collecting from one of their depots after failing to deliver twice.

Advertisement