Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery signed for by neighbours, now lost

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Not referring to the OP but people ordering items to places when they are never at home to sign for is one of the main problems. It is costly and time consuming for couriers to retry deliveries. They leave items with neighbours for convenience for both themselves and the customer. The alternative would be the customer collecting from one of their depots after failing to deliver twice.

1. People don't always know whether they need to be at home, because the vendor doesn't always inform upfront what courier is used.

2. People don't generally know when the first delivery attempt will be made, and can't normally sit around waiting at home several days just in case.

3. Normally a second attempt won't be made until after the recipient has been in touch to schedule said attempt, in which case he/she would most likely have made the necessary arrangements to be available.

4. I'd much prefer to pick up at the depot rather than have my goods left with some random neighbour. Like it or not, people often don't even know their neighbours these days,and the courier certainly has now way of knowing what kind of relationship exists between me and my neighbours.

5. Couriers generally have the recipient's phone number, so it's not exactly hard to make a call and confirm whether it's OK to leave the delivery somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With Ebay it is simple. Contact the seller asking for a refund/replacement. Should they decide not to do one or the other you can open a Paypal dispute. Paypal will side with you 100% of the time in this scenario.

I run Ebay and Amazon shops. I have refunded hundreds if not thousands over the years in similar situations.

The majority of sellers don't want the hassle/bad feedback particularly for low cost items.

They can also claim with the courier should they wish.

Not referring to the OP but people ordering items to places when they are never at home to sign for is one of the main problems. It is costly and time consuming for couriers to retry deliveries. They leave items with neighbours for convenience for both themselves and the customer. The alternative would be the customer collecting from one of their depots after failing to deliver twice.

You espoused this argument on another thread today and I say again...

Why are you blaming the customer for the failure of couriers to deliver. As I replied to you on the other thread, we have had couriers phone for directions and telling us they were on their way but never turn up. The last crowd phoned on 3 different days over a 12 day period and took 12 days to get to us. We sat in every day. In the meantime they told the supplier that it was delivered, then changed the lie to there being nobody at home. All lies and it seems, as a supplier yourself, you have fallen for these lies that couriers constantly tell. The country is awash with customers sitting at home awaiting deliveries that fail to arrive, or were dumped by a courier at any old house or a shop convenient to themselves.

Suppliers need to challenge couriers on these lies and shoddy practices if they want online shopping to prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I will first of all declare that I am a Postmaster, but the amount of times I have seen first hand the shoddy service from couriers is unreal.

One of my staff received a call from one to tell her that her parcel was dropped into a local shop, not the shop she works in but just some random shop that suited him.

I have had people drop up deliveries to the Post Office that have been left at the wrong door (nothing to do with An Post) and abandoned in the rain, I have had people ringing us thinking that the postman left parcels on their doorstep that have been destroyed in the rain when in fact it was couriers that just left them.

Time and time again they have tried to leave items in the shop for collection telling us that the customer has asked them to leave it there and when I queried the customer they have said in most cases that they never asked for that to be done.

I once tried to give directions to a courier so that he could deliver a parcel only for him to say feck it thats too much trouble they can get it from the depot as he ticked the not at home box on his documentation.

This is all first hand, the postmen tell me that they regularly see parcels left on the doorstep by couriers as they deliver the post.

Simply put the couriers are paid (it matters not if they are badly paid, they are the ones who set their prices) to deliver to the address on the parcel, not the local shop, not the neighbour and not left on the doorstep.

People need to stop accepting this shoddy service as if its allowed to continue it will become the norm. These couriers are tendering for business but then rowing back on their promises, its simple not good enough, if you ordered and paid for a steak dinner and they brought out a burger to you, im sure that you would complain.

Advertisement