Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat eating plastic

• 17-08-2016 6:22pm

My cat eats plastic if given the opportunity. He particularly likes the thicker stuff used as wrapping, for example the plastic holding together a multipack of bottled water. Naturally we try to keep him away from this stuff but he inevitably finds some and goes to town chewing. Its not a sudden thing and its definitely not from lack of food or incomplete dietary needs as he's well fed and on good food. He doesn't eat large amounts. It seems to me he just enjoys the texture and the chewing. So I suppose what I want to know is, why does he do this? And can anyone recommend cat chew toys or something that might make a good replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I would suggest you speak to your vet about this. I would be concerned if the cat is actually swallowing the plastic as it could lead to gut issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Hi, google 'Pica in cats' - this is the name given the urge some cats have to eat non-food items. Lots of information online, but trip to vets to discuss is probably the best option.

Shivi111 wrote: »
    Hi, google 'Pica in cats' - this is the name given the urge some cats have to eat non-food items. Lots of information online, but trip to vets to discuss is probably the best option.

So I've googled that as you recommended and it seems to be a compulsive thing. I wouldn't call what my fella is doing compulsive because he only chews for less than a minute and then moves on to his next adventure. He doesn't chew anything else and if the opportunity arises to chew some plastic he doesn't always take it. Could it still be pica?
    I don't think he's just bored as there's almost always someone here and either we or the dogs play with him practically non stop. He doesn't take a huge interest in toys, prefering to attack the dogs for fun so maybe he doesn't have enough chewy stuff?
    When he chews it he sort of chaws on it with the side of his mouth. He sorta reminds me of a teething baby, more like he's enjoying the texture than actually trying to eat it. He definitely doesn't ingest much but I'm sure he swallows tiny pieces.
    I'll definitely take him to the vet. I'll be bringing my dog for an appointment in the next month and I'll bring him along. I'm not overally concerned because hes so happy, active, healthy (super soft shiny coat, clear eyes, good teeth), great weight and appetite and he's very regular toileting so I'd notice immediately if there was a problem that way. Its just weird and I don't want it to get worse and as mentioned above for him to end up getting a blockage of some kind.
    Is there Kong's for cats or something I could redirect his chewing to in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

May not be Pica, just something I have come across before and came to mind when I read your post... one of my girls chewed a lot when she was a kitten and her adult teeth were coming in, usually on her toys though, at that stage my vet mentioned giving her a chicken neck... not sure if this is universally recommended, was too gross for me!

Mams dog hurt her leg and had to get stitches this evening so ended up talking to my vet. She's not concerned about it and thinks he might just enjoy the sound of it, so I'm gonna try getting him some of those toys that make that scrunchy noise and of course I'm gonna make a bigger effort to keep him away from plastics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement