Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical agricultural officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dawnh451

I'm called for interview as well. I'd chosen donegal and Leitrim. I was well down the oom so surprised to be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mac1993

Damn I put down Roscommon and Mayo as my picks... seems Leitrim is the place to be! raging i'm high enough on the OOM but it doesn't seem to be moving

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to find out your place on the order of merit? I was interviewed on the 9th of June and got an email last week to say I reached the qualifying standard and they'd be in touch with the order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WestLad97

It’s just out there now, they will go through the first batch of applicants first to fill the positions, well that’s my understanding of it

Hi thanks for the reply. Just got the email. I only got oom for my 2nd location choice so far

• Advertisement

I just read it again and see what you mean about the batches. If they have to go through all those first and then reach your order of merit I'd say the chances of job offer would be slim maybe

Ya you’d wonder, why go doing a second round of interviews if they are still working off the first batch

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Si.M

Hi all, got placed in the top 5 for my chosen county in batch 2. Does anyone know the likelihood of being offered a job in this position or even how many candidates are in each batch?

Thanks!😊

I'm in the same situation. Would love to have an idea of the odds of getting a job. Being in batch 2 most lower it significantly

I don't know about the batch situation, but in my area there seems to be a lot going to retire in the next year or so, so I'd say don't give up hope just yet, I'd imagine it's the same across the board! Also if you get a meat plant, don't be put off, they're actually grand, after a few days you would pass no remarks! Best of luck guys

• Advertisement

I'm actually hoping for meat plant work! 😂 seems to be movement on the donegal panel though so my hopes are fading

Does anyone know what are the chances of getting offered a job if your being Garda vetted do they vet extra just incase first priority’s reject the job?

No I'd say things are looking good for you! I saw on this thread way back somewhere about someone asking the same as yourself and they ended up getting a job offer. Don't think they'd go to the hassle if they'd no position for you so fingers crossed 🙂 Where had you interviewed for if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, hope your right, 2 years since we applied for it🤯. Cork is where I interviewed for 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnnysgot123

Well Lads, I was appointed from the first panel a year ago.

Took 3 months between when I start the process of vetting extra to get a position.

There is loads of TAO work in meat plants - especially in the South West region.

Recently there has been lots of promotions, which created 20 vacant jobs so far- in meat plants particularly. There is 60 more on that panel.

There has also been requests for 50 transfer positions internally which will now be offered to the panel I'm assuming.

Hope this settles some nerves. It's defiantly a waiting game. I wouldn't get to wound up by it, its too long of a process.

Meatplant work is fine - nothing glamorous but its very straight forward, can be challenging dealing with FBOs but its generally grand. We all have the same objective of producing safe food at the end of the day.

The pay is shite, 100% - Take home is like €430/week (€863 fortnightly roughly) - but it does go up. Trips to satellite plants and posting bring up your expenses. Overtime can be worked as extra cash or you can work overtime and take that as time off which is also handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marilia

Good morning! I passing trough the clearance process right now, and I have to get the audiometry test. One thin that got me thinking, though is that they mentioned that they will have to contact my current employer in case I go further on the process. I find this very unethical, since it would cause an awkward environment at my current job, in case I choose not getting their offer in the end. I do not plan to accept any offer in a meat plant as I believe it would affect my mental health beyond the worth of the payment they offer. Anybody else had their current job contacted during their clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mac1993

Not uncommon within the Civil/Public Service. They should give you at least a heads up about who and how they would contact. Maybe just ask if they can delay until later in the process.

I don't know about reference checking but even if you get a meat plant I'd take it, if its close to home, ya only have to do 2 years and you can request a transfer.. from what I hear there's a lot of people retiring in the next year or so, so it'll leave great opportunities in the dept! Meat plants are fine, after the first day you won't pass any remarks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rn123

Hi,

Has there been any job offers in the Roscommon region recently? 🙈

What county are you under consideration for?

• Advertisement

Have you had any word from Roscommon yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 johnnysgot123

Yes, not uncommon. But, they may not contact your employer, a reference from your employer should suffice. It's all about career progression in the long run.

Regarding meat plants, it actually isn't that bad. The process is very humane - and besides, it is the TAOs job to ensure food is produced safely. Yes, it isn't the most glamour of jobs, but it is interesting. Also, it is likely to be placed in a meat plant. But there are other jobs on crops, erad and ICD

Lads it’s an absolute joke letting PAS contact your current employer before being offered a job?, what if you said it to your boss and PAS come back saying you didn’t get the job where do you go then no employer will want to keep you around after that. Is this a new thing or have they always done it this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farmingsimulator

If you got this far you will be offered a job, they will not contact your current employer if there isn't a job waiting for you,

Is anyone on the Westmeath panel. And if so have ye been contacted by pas or the dept yet. I'm on Westmeath panal but in the double figures after interview,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 corkman4

I just got offered a job in a meat plant what it like can anyone tell me ? Can you transfer to other jobs after so many years?

Thanks.

Meat plant is grand I have friends in them working in the department, some people never leave them if they live close, the work seems to be grand by taking to them, hygiene checks and other bits like approving cattle,

When you have your two years completed in a meat factory if you wish you can apply to leave to another section like erad or Icd or crops, lots of options, good luck with the job if you take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Anyone have any idea when they’ll be opening the applications for this again? Thought it was every two years but it’s going on nearly 3 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mar bar

Anyone know what the current starting salary is or how quickly you climb the payscale for TAO? I have been offered a post in a meat plant but it is 2 years since I applied so I am hoping the the salary has increased slightly since then.....I would be taking a 15K pay drop from my current position but I am guessing this post is handy enough in comparison. Also, I know you have to stay 2 years before you can request a transfer but can you apply for another position within the 2 years if one comes up? I am interested in the Assistant Agricultural Inspector (Food) position which I am told they recruited for late last year but I totally missed that recruitment drive so I am not sure how widely advertised that was......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nicchick88

Advertisement