Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical agricultural officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zlatam

Carlow20 wrote: »
    Any one know if you're already working in public service as a Clerical officer can you transfer to same point of scale for TAO? Just noticed payscale seems to be the same

Maybe you could move laterlly from internal transfers if you have the same qualifications, and you d stay on the same pay scale you're I d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Carlow20 wrote: »
    Any one know if you're already working in public service as a Clerical officer can you transfer to same point of scale for TAO? Just noticed payscale seems to be the same

yes, apply to this open comptetion and you would then start TAO on the same point you are currently on, or depnding where you are in your PMDS cycle, you might move up a point. If you have the quals, getting in at TAO would put you in good stead for the Ag Inspector stream if you so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

yes, apply to this open comptetion and you would then start TAO on the same point you are currently on, or depnding where you are in your PMDS cycle, you might move up a point. If you have the quals, getting in at TAO would put you in good stead for the Ag Inspector stream if you so wished.

What difference does PMDS cycle make, are you sure on the above as CO and TAO are not equivalent grades?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Cheeseplant

doc22 wrote: »
    What difference does PMDS cycle make, are you sure on the above as CO and TAO are not equivalent grades?

No, I'm wrong. Just checked there in the circular and lots of different scenarios depending on your salary and the new job starting salary.
    Check it out here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/57443f-082019-starting-pay-on-promotion/

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

No, I'm wrong. Just checked there in the circular and lots of different scenarios depending on your salary and the new job starting salary.
    Check it out here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/57443f-082019-starting-pay-on-promotion/

Moving to a TAO may be seen as a promotion as it has a slightly higher scale so you might not be to far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Is it possible that a current TAO can give us an idea of what a standard day/week looks like?

Thanks

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Where do you select the two counties on the application process? I can’t see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Zlatam

It varies what you d be at weekly, if you're doing inspections there d be a lot of out of office work. Most meat plants you d be there daily, often get day transfers to other plants to cover staff on holidays, good boost on wages. Over time is also available in meat plants, can be taken as time off or as extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John Ryan 99

Zlatam wrote: »
    It varies what you d be at weekly, if you're doing inspections there d be a lot of out of office work. Most meat plants you d be there daily, often get day transfers to other plants to cover staff on holidays, good boost on wages. Over time is also available in meat plants, can be taken as time off or as extra money.

Just wondering what sort of qualifications they are mainly looking for I have a forestry level 7 and land management level 8. Also is experience taken into account or is it entry level and experience is not required?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherine94

Hi, I just applied for the position of TAO for 2020 but did anyone download the information booklet in pdf version? If they did could they send me a message and send it to me? Some reason it didn't download properly for me :( Thanks a mill!!

Also one more question when do you choose what county you would like to work in? Is that in the next step because it didn't seem to be asked on the application form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nicchick88

Has anyone heard from PAS about their application or the next stage?

nicchick88 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard from PAS about their application or the next stage?

Ye I got a message on public jobs account about an aptitude test to be done online between 17th and 22nd of September

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hillbillygirl

Has anyone received a message today to book a time slot for the Aptitude test?

Anyone take the Aptitude test yet?

Harder or easier than expected based on the practice few questions we recieved??

Was the Numerical section all ratio and percentage based??

Also can you pick which sections you sit first ie the verbal before the numerical or are you given no choice??

Many thanks for replies!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherine94

Hi, This is probably a really stupid question but can we use a calculator in the numerical section of the aptitude test does anyone know?

Has anyone received a message today to book a time slot for the Aptitude test?

Anyone take the Aptitude test yet?

Harder or easier than expected based on the practice few questions we recieved??

Was the Numerical section all ratio and percentage based??

Also can you pick which sections you sit first ie the verbal before the numerical or are you given no choice??

Many thanks for replies!! :)

You don't have to book a time to sit the test. The test will be a combination of different types of questions. I'm not sure if you can choose what you sit first, but you should check out the practice questions through the familiarisation booklet. Also go to the PAS test advice and select executive officer, they have practice questions in there too.

You can use a calculator for the exam.

nicchick88 wrote: »
    You don't have to book a time to sit the test. The test will be a combination of different types of questions. I'm not sure if you can choose what you sit first, but you should check out the practice questions through the familiarisation booklet. Also go to the PAS test advice and select executive officer, they have practice questions in there too.

You can use a calculator for the exam.

Thanks a mil,

I'm a bit stumped as to where to find " PAS test advice and select executive officer" ??

When I click on my messages in the public jobs it leads me to a practice test where I give my full name and email, there are no options anywhere to select executive officer?

Sorry I should have explained a bit better lol

When you log into SOVA, there should be a box to click on that says practice assessment on it. There you have to agree to conditions which you then proceed with the practice exam.

Another way to practice, this time through PAS. On the home page of Public Jobs, select Info Hub, then Our Recruitment Process, then Test advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

For assessment three; accuracy assessment are you just given 15 questions where you have to match the code like the example given in the sample test?

timple23 wrote: »
    For assessment three; accuracy assessment are you just given 15 questions where you have to match the code like the example given in the sample test?

Yes it’s the same as examples

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jbel

Cad88 wrote: »
    What was the story with scanning the room with your laptop? My laptops display is dodgy at the best of times so afraid of having to move it a lot.

Also how did people find it? Was the verbal much the same as the practice and was there a lot of percentages and ratios in the numerical?

Thanks

How did people find it

• Advertisement

How did people find it

Maths section had me, the tables were fairly confusing and lots of information given, was a guessing game unfortunately for me, you'd never know with the english what you got!

I'd imagine there will be a higher rate of higher ranking people this year as the test isn't been verified in person and by the looks of it it was handy to sidestep the short recorded verified video recordings if you were that way inclined.

Maths section had me, the tables were fairly confusing and lots of information given, was a guessing game unfortunately for me, you'd never know with the english what you got!

I'd imagine there will be a higher rate of higher ranking people this year as the test isn't been verified in person and by the looks of it it was handy to sidestep the short recorded verified video recordings if you were that way inclined.

I agree, the maths was fairly overloaded,
    Were you suppose to scan the room at the end of every test or just scan your face?

I'm not too sure but I went with scanning the room!!

What's the story with no section anywhere to mention your interest in specific counties?

Will they rank all of Ireland and offer you a job anywhere and if you decline, you'll probably get put to the back of the panel

It makes no sense that there has been no county selection section, sure the top people who get pulled for the interview and then get thru that all might want Kildare for example and that's wasting everyone's time!!

I'm not too sure but I went with scanning the room!!

What's the story with no section anywhere to mention your interest in specific counties?

Will they rank all of Ireland and offer you a job anywhere and if you decline, you'll probably get put to the back of the panel

It makes no sense that there has been no county selection section, sure the top people who get pulled for the interview and then get thru that all might want Kildare for example and that's wasting everyone's time!!
    At the start of the process when I filled out application and it said to put down two counties as preference but some people seem to have not got that option

At the start of the process when I filled out application and it said to put down two counties as preference but some people seem to have not got that option
    @ JohnRyan99

Never even seen two county preference mentioned!!

Was it in the actual application form ? alongside the "Do you work well under pressure question"

Id say we are bound to hear by the 16th of October if we were ranked in a position suitable for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WestLad97

Did anyone hear anything back about the Tao job?, thought they’d have something by now?

WestLad97 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear anything back about the Tao job?, thought they’d have something by now?

I haven't yet either. Me too, I got my results for the EO panel last week and the assessments period were at the same time.

No not a word yet, hoping its this side of xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Maybe fire them an email for an update?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement