Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 yr old moving up from an SV650 Q?

• 17-08-2016 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its a long time since I was anywhere near 24 years old so I've no idea what the cool kids ride these days, but what would you younger lads suggest for a 24year old moving up from an SV650s?.. (full license).

No idea what the budget is, but he won't be looking for new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Its a long time since I was anywhere near 24 years old so I've no idea what the cool kids ride these days, but what would you younger lads suggest for a 24year old moving up from an SV650s?.. (full license).

Has to be a CBR6 no? Or any of the supersport 6's?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Gsxr750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Getting an old mans Vstrom 1000......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I went from the sv650 to the sv1000. Though iirc you have the curvy model so the obvious upgrade is to a tl1000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I went from and SV650 to a Hornet 900. Nice bit of power in it but I do miss the V twin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone any experience of the Yamaha XT660 or the Suzuki DRZ400?.

He doesn't like the Vstrom or adventure bikes, and he's looking for a bit more grunt too but I told him he could have fun without insane power on something trailie or supermoto.

Yes Idleater he's got the curvy atm, great little thing. Brilliant engine, tbh I prefer his engine to the fuel injected engine in my Vstrom 650.

Tbh if it wasn't for the insane fuel economy I'd be shifting on my Vstrom too.. Dead comfy, effortless riding ~ and I think that's the problem, even my ripe old age of 50 the DL650 is boring the crap out of me!.

I'm dying for grunt, power wheelies, loud exhausts & 100mph cruising speeds again. But the fuel economy on the DL650 is the keeper. Most I've had from it is 410kms for €20!.. Its crazy cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If he wants anything cool at 24 I reckon any supermoto.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2006-ktm-lc4-640-supermoto/12989918

Mate has a DRZ400. Or I should say "had". He's on boards, but probably not able to type at the moment after someone pulled across in front of him

600cc sportsbike?

600cc sportsbike?

Thing is he's fairly talk at 6'2''.. And he's my son, so I'm trying to steer him away from those things :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fazer 1000? Original model .. big tank, plenty of poke and comfy.

• Advertisement

Thing is he's fairly talk at 6'2''.. And he's my son, so I'm trying to steer him away from those things :P

Yeah hes a tall lad, probably best to stay away from them then.I love those KTM enduro style bikes they pretty cool, dont have a notion how much they are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

kool kids are riding the yamaha triple 800, KTM twins, ultra cool are on ducati scramblers or whatever the latest retro bike is.

All messing aside I think a VFR800 would tick all the boxes, truely great bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

KTM 690 SM, like a Dominator on a heavy steroid programme complete with 'roid rage.
    Civilised enough as well if necessary.
    Need a little more care and attention than a Japanese machine but will make you handy with the spanners.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

600/750cc Sportbike

Ask anyone below the age of 30 what the coolest type of bike is. Majority will say sportbike.

Leave the adventure/touring bikes for middle age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pugzilla wrote: »
    600/750cc Sportbike

Ask anyone below the age of 30 what the coolest type of bike is. Majority will say sportbike.

Leave the adventure/touring bikes for middle age.

Sportsbikes are old hat, the Supermoto's will outhandle them on any piece of less than perfect road and you don't need insane license losing speeds to have fun.
    I know lots of younger guys with Sumo's they have a lot of fun on them.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sportsbikes are old hat, the Supermoto's will outhandle them on any piece of less than perfect road and you don't need insane license losing speeds to have fun.

All the guys my age that ask about getting a bike licence want a sportbike. To the non-biker, sportbikes still got it.

I think that the sports tourers really are the best of both worlds...you can do it all on a good sports tourer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

CJhaughey wrote: »

Easier to do wheelies on a supermoto too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fabritzo wrote: »
    kool kids are riding the yamaha triple 800, KTM twins, ultra cool are on ducati scramblers or whatever the latest retro bike is.
    I have a Yamaha XSR700. It looks nice but is a bit tame and sounds like an electrical appliance whilst accelerating (nice coming back down though).

Think I should have got a 900 instead. Or a sports bike.

Most things are fun at 9/10ths but IMO a fun bike (or car, or whatever) should be interactive going slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Typing this from the middle of the Irish Sea on board the Ulyssee.

Weather in Welsh Mountains today was monsoon like,but it made for some lovely pictures.
    Went over 2 weeks ago for BSB Brands Hatch. Only comming back home nowm

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

The XT 660 or similar would suit your son perfectly especially being so tall.
    Sportsbikes would be a bit cramped for him & sports tourers aren't cool for a 24 year old.
    Actually they aren't cool at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Lumen wrote: »
    I have a Yamaha XSR700. It looks nice but is a bit tame and sounds like an electrical appliance whilst accelerating (nice coming back down though).

Think I should have got a 900 instead. Or a sports bike.

Most things are fun at 9/10ths but IMO a fun bike (or car, or whatever) should be interactive going slowly.

Put an end can on it, cheapest you can find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm 6 foot...no bother on my sports bikes ....maybe youre overthinkin it a bit....he doesnt have to ride like Marquez..;)

KTM 990 Superduke good for tall people?

Thanks for all the replies lads.

We're going to view a few DRZ 400's over the next few days.. Maybe fit in an XT660x too.

Anyone any experience of the DRZ's?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I had both an sv650 (pointy) and a drz400sm

and a ktm690smc which is another bag of cats altogether... The drz is a solid bike.. get a few mods in (3x3 box, can,fcr carb) and in theory shes shy of 40bhp.. unless hes using it for 30mile jaunts then its a great laugh.. after that it gets tiring.. will cruise at 70mph handy enough but theres not much more after..

The ktm690 on the other hand is one of the most economical singles in the world.. 6 speed fuel injected.. utter lunatic the smc was..

A 690 duke is more road focussed and a bit pokier.. I live in the wild west so I like my SMs..

'hdz

What does he himself want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭bergipau

KTM 950/999 SM or SMT.
    The SM is a bit crap on motorways but it's an absolute hoot on all other roads. I have the 950 sm and love it.

Advertisement