Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential novice cyclist.

Options
  • 17-08-2016 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

How long is your commute to / from work / college (if you cycle it)?
    My OH lives in North County Dublin and he works in a certain place near Donaghmede. This is a 25-kilometre cycle.

On his journey in the car, his average speed normally comes out around 40-ish km/h. Easily achievable on a road bike.

He’s considering biking it to work but has a few questions concerns:

#Is 25 km a reasonable cycle or is it too far?

#We all know the Irish weather is crap and completely unpredictable, how do you get around intermittent showers which may begin in the middle of a cycle? Do you wear a poncho?

#What about muck or dirty water splashing up from the wheel, thus soiling his clothes?

#There are a few blind spots and dangerous bends on roads around where he lives and he sees people driving like a bat out of Hell, does anyone here ever feel threatened on the road by motorists? Or just by threatening tailgating behaviour in general.

#Can anyone recommend what price range he should look at for road bikes or any particular brand?

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

On his journey in the car, his average speed normally comes out around 40-ish km/h. Easily achievable on a road bike.

40kmph would be very good going.

25km would be about an hour for an average cyclist (broad range obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As above I'd be fairly confident he won't be hitting anywhere near 40km/h.

25km is a good distance for a commute and possibly a bit far if he hasn't cycled before.

One thing to consider is will he have wash facilities available. If he's cycling a road bike he more than likely wont be wearing his work clothes and would be best heading down the lycra route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

50 km a day, 250km a week, 12,500 km a year.. before he goes out on the weekend... getting into WA territory with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Fitness will need to be built up. My commute is 25km and I usually do it 3 days a week, but 4 days occasionally. I'd advise doing it one or two days on the first week with plenty of time to rest/recover in between. They'll know by how they feel when to build it up.

It wouldn't be possible for me without showers in work, so I'm lucky. I bring clothes for the week on the day(s) that I drive so I always cycle in just lycra stuff with no backpack or anything. It's much more comfortable like that. I'd highly highly recommend a pair of cycling shorts for this much cycling. Downstairs will be thankful.

Regarding the rain, it doesn't happen as often as you might think. Tonight was miserable, but that was exceptionally bad. I don't bother with rain jackets for that distance, I just accept that I'll be wet and make sure that I'm wearing enough to be warm. For me, it's getting close to the time of year for a single base layer under a jersey, but not yet. Still just a jersey (and bib shorts) over my torso. I do have a back mudguard though as rain water getting sprayed into your shorts isn't so comfortable.

In short, do it. Dress appropriately. Expect it to hurt (muscles) a bit at first but that will get better quickly as fitness improves. Cycle assertively to ensure/encourage motorists to give you a bit of respect. There's plenty of safe cycling tips on the forum here and plenty of people willing to regurgitate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Just my two cents

50km round trip is a bit of a distance so some form of a built up might be a good idea (start 1-2 times/week and go from there)
    Shower facility is a must (only as much baby wipes can do)
    Overtrousers and rain jacket
    Mudguards

40ish km/h sounds more like a wish than a reality, couple red rights can make a serious difference

As for traffic, your confidence grows and you predict unpredictable. There is always that one driver but the same can be said for cyclist or pedestrian

Safe journey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

"On his journey in the car, his average speed normally comes out around 40-ish km/h. Easily achievable on a road bike."

A novice Olympic cyclist by the sounds of it ....just in time for Tokyo :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Make sure he gets a bike well equipped for commuting - mudguards, rack/carrier, panniers, lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I average 28-30kph on my 25k commute. I cycle 2-3days a week, although I've been pretty lazy lately and only cycling once or twice a week lately.

I leave work clothes in work, so I don't have to carry a bag on my back which makes a big difference.

Traffic is not too bad, but how you cope with traffic depends on your commuting route and your confidence/experience as a cyclist. It can be intimidating at times but you do get used to it.

I suggest trying it once or twice per week at first. I personally find if I commute by bike more than three times per week, I'm pretty tired on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

How long is your commute to / from work / college (if you cycle it)?

Has he ever used a bike?

I've grave reservations over this whole idea, great in theory but maybe not in practice. On paper very doable (maybe, depending on fitness/experience) but sitting on a bike for over an hour then doing a days work then the same back home, ??? Nice looking out at the sun (rain?) these days but the commute in a couple of months will be done in darkness, not funny on the roads you describe.

Hope I'm not being a downer on this but maybe if your OH could borrow a decent bike and give it a go on a Sat & Sun and see how he gets on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to cycle blanchardstown to leopardstown, which was approx 14 miles each way, typically less than an hour. however, that was after an office move from near donnybrook, so i didn't go straight to doing that. would have been doing 9 miles each way.
    no issue whatsoever with doing a day's work after an hour in the saddle, once you're fit.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A few guys cycle into Dublin regularly from Skerries. Obviously they are now all experienced but we all start somewhere.

My own journey stops around Clare Hall - 23km or so each way. Started doing it on a hybrid about 10 years ago. Would do it a couple of times a week and built up from there. Depending on wind direction I can do it nowadays at just under 30 km/h (on a road bike) although when I started out it would have been nearer 20-25 km/h. Was quite windy back in April 2012 when I commuted in at an average of 38 km/h one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

New electric over volt bike in cyclesuperstore will do 45 kph, but it's €3750

It'll keep you fit on a journey like that too.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=97617

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

I commute 27k into the city centre, it's definitely doable.
    I started doing two days a week and built it up.
    At that sort of distance a shower is a must - especially on wet mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I do 30 km's a few times a week. It was fairly tiring the first few goes, but you build up.
    You could look at park and ride, driving some of the way in the country and cycling closer to the city to start at 15 kms or so to build it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another concern is secure bike parking near his office. is there any available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

As a novice cyclist, it seems to me that this distance is biting off more than one can chew. What about starting with some weekend cycles to see if he actually enjoys cycling, and getting gradually into it that way?
    I'm all for people getting out of their cars – and chapeau to him and to you for the idea – but cycling should be a joy and a pleasure. Jumping straight from sitting-in-a-warm-armchair-listening-to-nice-music to speeding along whistling is going to be a culture shock. Take it handy! Do it, as others have suggested, a bit at a time, one day a week for a few weeks (choosing days with clear forecasts), and only then – if he loves it – easing up to a couple of days and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

21ag03q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

#Is 25 km a reasonable cycle or is it too far? Reasonable assuming some level of fitness, definitely doable.

#We all know the Irish weather is crap and completely unpredictable, how do you get around intermittent showers which may begin in the middle of a cycle? Do you wear a poncho? Light waterproof jacket is all you'd need, he'll only be on the bike for an hour and will have to get changed at work anyway to make a 25km possible with any level of comfort.

#What about muck or dirty water splashing up from the wheel, thus soiling his clothes? Put clothes inside one of those bags for life within another bag. For 25km I would recommend buying a rack with panniers or, my preference, a large saddle bag. A backpack is very uncomfortable even the ones purpose-built for cycling, especially for 25km and it's just not good for posture wearing one on a bike for ~2 hours/day

#There are a few blind spots and dangerous bends on roads around where he lives and he sees people driving like a bat out of Hell, does anyone here ever feel threatened on the road by motorists? Or just by threatening tailgating behaviour in general. No, just don't hug the bend too much so that he has space to move in closer to the edge of the road in case he needs to. This also prevents cars from making dangerous overtakes and squeezing you into a hedge or wall

#Can anyone recommend what price range he should look at for road bikes or any particular brand? Get an entry level road bike on the bike to work scheme or one second hand off donedeal or adverts. You'd get a decent bike for €300-400 definitely

Questions have been well addressed at this stage but see responses above anyway for 2 cents!

One thing I would add as someone who has been every day for 9 months (only ~10km though):

Get mudguards and something to carry gear other than a backpack. It'll make your life a lot more comfortable. If you can struggle through the crappy winter months commuting during the summer is extra lovely.

Bring some stuff for basic bike maintenance (i.e. spare tube!!!). I had my first flat in 9 months this morning, pain in the arse but these things happen. It'd be a bigger pain in the arse if I didn't have a tube and a pump with me!

edit: one more thing, it is very much a learning curve. I started commuting in the winter and even knowing how much gear to wear without getting cold/too hot is something you just need to figure out with trial and error. Don't be afraid of it or build it up to be something it's not, just get on the bike and enjoy it. People stress about everything needing to be perfect but it doesn't and you'll figure out what works for you eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Maybe I am forgetting what it was like when i started, but 25km seems reasonably doable to me, especially if he is reasonably fit. I was obese when I started cycling, my commute is only 7.5km each way but even being obese and not having been on a bike for years it was not too tough. Having said that I recall wheeling my bike up a "hill" that now I don't even need to drop gears for. I also recall having genuine doubts that I would be capable of cycling in.

At 25 km though he will have a sore ass for the first month or two, muscles there will need to harden up to deal with sitting in the saddle.

40km/h is unachievable. Looking at an average of almost half that most likely, especially factoring in traffic and lights etc. However an average of 40km/h in a car seems pretty unachievable as well on a commute. Certainly I get into the city centre faster on my bike than i would in a car.

Is the commute flat? That will have as much bearing on the difficulty as the distance probably.

For what it is worth the single best work related decision I ever made was to start commuting by bike. Not only for the fitness/health benefits, mainly just because it is such a good way to de-stress / get my head out of the office before arriving home. On the few days a year i can't cycle (because of snow/ ice or high winds) I absolutely hate going in and out on the luas.

As far as dealing with the weather - just get appropriate clothing. this does not mean waterproof "rain tousers" - just get some lycra tights from Lidl/Aldi for the winter and shorts for the summer. They will get wet but they wick the water from your skin and he will need to shower when he gets in anyway. Rain gear will have him drenched in sweat and sticky. I use a rain jacket on wet days, cloth one or none rest of the time, depending on temperature. If you are warm cycling in the rain can be quite enjoyable, especially when you compare yourself to the traffic that seems to come to a virtual standstill in the wet. I wear cloth shorts into work, over tights or lycra underwear, but he would probably want padded lycra shorts for that distance.

I keep suit and shoes in work, carry a shirt, underwear and socks in my backpack.

Mudguards, suitable clothing, decent backpack, shower facilities, someplace to lock bike and a saddlebag with spare tubes, tyre levers and a mini-pump are all essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

My commute is 25km each way. I definitely wouldn't do it without access to shower facilities and a locker to store work clothes.
    Depending on the number of traffic lights and volume of traffic etc, an average of 25-30km/h is realistic.
    I use a backpack, with the contents in plastic bags. That way I don't need to bother with mudguards, saddle bags, or any of that other stuff that might slow me down. Add good quality lights and it doesn't matter what time of day/night/year it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As others say, 25km is commute-able, but for someone starting out, 50km a day is a big ask. He'd need to build it up from one day a week, to 2, then 3, etc.
    The bonus with driving one day and cycling the next is that you can get away with carrying very little on the bike and use the car for bringing in spare clothes, towels, etc. Once you're doing 4 to 5 days a week you have to carry you stuff with you on the bike.
    #We all know the Irish weather is crap and completely unpredictable, how do you get around intermittent showers which may begin in the middle of a cycle? Do you wear a poncho?
    You wear cycling clothes. A newbie will probably feel like a bit of a spa initially, but get used to it. It doesn't rain nearly as much as people think. You'd usually only have 3-4 commutes per month in which you may get wet. Obviously it varies. You can have a run of 3-4 months where you never get wet and then have one month where it rains every day for two weeks.
    The easiest thing to do is just get wet. You're going to have a shower afterwards anyway, so get soaked, then strip off and jump in the shower. Job done. Have waterproof pannier bags so your stuff doesn't soaked, and a lightweight waterproof jacket that fits in a pocket for those time when it's really pelting down and you haven't left yet.
    #What about muck or dirty water splashing up from the wheel, thus soiling his clothes?
    Mudguards, and cycling gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was up around the phoenix park this week on a 25 km spin. I did it it an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I do 18km each way on my old steel frame mountain bike. I did buy a roadbike, but I prefer the riding position of the MTB, and can't be arsed spending more on a hybrid.

It takes me 55mins going uphill out of town every morning against the wind (every morning!), and 45mins downhill coming home into town.

I bought a good sized expandable saddle bag for food and clothing. in work. I keep toiletries, towels, boots, jeans, a belt, and a hoodie. On the day or two I drive in, I do a towel swap. All this is kept in my pedestal under my desk.
    A shower is essential. I tried babywipes once, but apart from not feeling very clean afterwards, I was also freezing as my body temp started dropping.

Got soaked last night going home, but as another poster said, that's a rare occurance, and you just accept it and get on with it.

Hate having to drive now, and only do it as a necessity. My buns still ache after some of the morning climbs, but overall, it's gotten a lot easier than it was at the start. Even had some guy drafting me on a roadbike the other morning, but that's another thread :rolleyes:

Definitely worth doing it. He won't regret it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I use a backpack, with the contents in plastic bags. That way I don't need to bother with mudguards, saddle bags, or any of that other stuff that might slow me down.
    It's personal choice of course, but mudguards and saddlebags don't slow you down on a commute. It's not the Tour de France where every gram counts. The inconvenience of a backpack might well slow you down more than the weight of a mudguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It's personal choice of course, but mudguards and saddlebags don't slow you down on a commute. It's not the Tour de France where every gram counts. The inconvenience of a backpack might well slow you down more than the weight of a mudguard.

For 25km, assuming you're carrying the gear you need for work, I'd STRONGLY recommend not using a backpack. Bought a saddle bag for my gear recently and the commute in is 50x nicer.

Mudguards are cack. Any time I've used them in the past they've ended up getting damaged or failing. They're just one more thing to go wrong with your bike. If you're out in the pissings of rain you're getting wet no matter what, so they're pointless imho.
    The same applies to saddlebags, and the rack that goes with them. Another addition to go wrong or get in the way at some point when it suits least.
    I kit out my bikes with good lights and can just jump on whichever one suits me. No extra hardware, and the bike can be used for leisure spins/races/sportives without having to take a spanner to it.

I don't find a backpack inconvenient in any way, although the ones I use are quite small. All I need to carry is a towel, shirt, smalls, phone & wallet.
    Each to their own, but I prefer simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Mudguards are cack. Any time I've used them in the past they've ended up getting damaged or failing. They're just one more thing to go wrong with your bike. If you're out in the pissings of rain you're getting wet no matter what, so they're pointless imho.
    The same applies to saddlebags, and the rack that goes with them. Another addition to go wrong or get in the way at some point when it suits least.
    I kit out my bikes with good lights and can just jump on whichever one suits me. No extra hardware, and the bike can be used for leisure spins/races/sportives without having to take a spanner to it.

I don't find a backpack inconvenient in any way, although the ones I use are quite small. All I need to carry is a towel, shirt, smalls, phone & wallet.
    Each to their own, but I prefer simplicity.

Personally Ii hate coming across people commuting without mudguards. It is not only yourself you are covering with spray, anyone coming up behind you as well. They are effective at keeping the surface water from spraying about. Granted you still get wet if it is lashing rain, but at least you are getting wet with clean water not the muck on the ground.

Glass half full: It discourages wheel suckers :D
    Fian wrote: »
    Personally Ii hate coming across people commuting without mudguards. It is not only yourself you are covering with spray, anyone coming up behind you as well. They are effective at keeping the surface water from spraying about. Granted you still get wet if it is lashing rain, but at least you are getting wet with clean water not the muck on the ground.

• Advertisement

on my bike i use for commuting, i use a crud catcher for the front and one of those mudguards which clip onto the seatpost on the rear. not as effective as full mudguards, but effective enough.

Advertisement