Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobblelock Repair...

Options
  • 17-08-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Evening All

A quick question. I want to repair a small uneven patch of cobblelock - not a huge issue but it catches my eye every time I'm in the garden. This particular area appears to have dipped and gathers water all the time. Anyway...my question is...once I've lifted the blocks from the effected area (plus a row extra either side to assist me level properly)...what sand/mix do I need ?. I was looking at a course sand...but not sure if I should add some cement ?. I'll be sealing between the blocks anyway so they don't need to be grounded permanently.

Just keen to try and do it properly. Picture attached - not great quality.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,571 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firstly, that drainpipe coming down, does that go in to a proper shore or is it just putting water down on the bricks? If there's no shore, it's likely the source of the problem so a solution to that should be also looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

There's a proper shore there Dawn...at least it looks proper from the top. In fairness...what's below it I can't be sure of !!!...but definitely normal looking as per others around the house.

...this perhaps shows it better....

K

Pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the rest of it is not laid on a cement mix it would not be a great idea to put that little section on a cement mix, sand should be fine. Why has it sunk? It does seem likely that there is a damaged drain pipe under that line of sag - either seeping water has washed away some of the sub base or top layer of sand, or the drain has fallen in. It would seem to be a bit pointless putting sand under the sag to level it without checking the state of the drain.

• Advertisement

Thanks Looksee - that makes sense. If the "sag" does indeed follow the path of the drain...I could have more digging to do. The downpipe is only from a gutter on a shed so the water volume isn't huge...but I see what you saying.

Thanks all for the replies.

K

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that more standing water behind the section in question?

No Magic...I just took the pics during the torrential rain yesterday. There's a concrete path around the shed and that's just a puddle. K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    No Magic...I just took the pics during the torrential rain yesterday. There's a concrete path around the shed and that's just a puddle. K

Might sound silly but is that drain a dummy drain? Reason I asked is because I had to fix something similar last year and the builders put in a dummy drain giving the impression that the gutter water had a place to go but it didnt and it just cased subsiding on the affected area.

To fix the stones you need to take up the affected area and regrade the foundation using first stone crush and a 50mm compacted layer of sand/cement mix a dry pack is really all you need unless you want to mortar them down. N.B make sure its compacted and level but enough to run surface water off. After the ground work is done just replace the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

The shoe (the part at the end of the downpipe) looks like it is directing the water out over the drain (maybe in heavy showers) and onto the cobblelock. I would remove the shoe from the bottom of the downpipe (just pull it off, downwards), and put a spacer between the wall and the downpipe, so that the water just drips directly down and into the drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement