Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College entry requirement important

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi does anyone know if you don't get the grades for any college for example 6 subjects and 2 honours and I got A1's in my ordinary subjects one C1 in higher and the rest all D1 in higher, am still eligible for courses or can I not get in cause I don't have the right grades

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Hi does anyone know if you don't get the grades for any college for example 6 subjects and 2 honours and I got A1's in my ordinary subjects one C1 in higher and the rest all D1 in higher, am still eligible for courses or can I not get in cause I don't have the right grades

Right what courses did you apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you got less points than those required , you may not get the place. Depends on the numbers looking to do it and number of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jsabatini98

Vlove wrote: »
    Right what courses did you apply?

I applied for Computer science international in DIT (350 points), Computing in NCI (320 points) and Enterprise computing in DCU (370 points) and I got 350 points and I'm eligible for the HEAR scheme but for these courses you need to have at least 2 HC3 or above subjects and pass the rest, I passed all my subjects but only got 1 HC1 and the rest HD1so can still get the courses or will they not accept me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

While I believe there is some scope for institutions to make exceptions to the entry requirements, particularly in relation to under-represented groups, you have to balance that with the likelihood of a person progressing through the chosen course.

Previous academic performance (i.e. the Leaving Certificate) is usually a good indicator of how well a student will perform at third level.

Honestly, get talking to people. Don't rely on random strangers on the internet. Call the HEAR people, call the admissions office of the institution. Only they can tell you for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If you don't get offered those courses on Monday, have a look at the 'available places' list on www.cao.ie from 12 noon on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Does that stand for any courses that have free placest like ones I haven't even applied for

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    While I believe there is some scope for institutions to make exceptions to the entry requirements, particularly in relation to under-represented groups, you have to balance that with the likelihood of a person progressing through the chosen course.

Previous academic performance (i.e. the Leaving Certificate) is usually a good indicator of how well a student will perform at third level.

Honestly, get talking to people. Don't rely on random strangers on the internet. Call the HEAR people, call the admissions office of the institution. Only they can tell you for sure.

Will do thank you ðŸ˜႒

Does that stand for any courses that have free placest like ones I haven't even applied for

Yes. You can apply for any course you see on the list as long as you satisfy the minimum entry requirements.

Yes. You can apply for any course you see on the list as long as you satisfy the minimum entry requirements.

Yea but most course entry requirements are to have two HC3 or above whereas I only have a HC1 and rest are all HD1's

Yea but most course entry requirements are to have two HC3 or above whereas I only have a HC1 and rest are all HD1's

You may find a level 6/7 course with an entry requirement of 5 passes that will lead to a level 8 honours degree in the area you are interested in

• Advertisement
Advertisement