Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW E39 520i using oil, opinions?

• 17-08-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi I have an 03 E39 520i, bought the car 3rd July and now car has started to use oil at rate of 3.5 litres after less than 500 miles.. No visible smoke etc, I've heard of ccv valve causing this?? Any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

The 2.2 M54 engine is notorious for burning oil, I had a few leaks with my 2.5. I replaced the rocker cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and the entire CCV system including the breather.

I went from roughly 1l in 800-1000 miles to using about 1l per 3-4000 miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

The 2.2 M54 engine is notorious for burning oil, I had a few leaks with my 2.5. I replaced the rocker cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket and the entire CCV system including the breather.

I went from roughly 1l in 800-1000 miles to using about 1l per 3-4000 miles!

I've had a few 2.5's alright and found them great but the 2.2 really surprised me, what seems to be the biggest cause of it?

I've had a few 2.5's alright and found them great but the 2.2 really surprised me, what seems to be the biggest cause of it?

I think it's something like weaker pisotn rings in the 2.2's but it could be a few things with this engine really!

I think it's something like weaker pisotn rings in the 2.2's but it could be a few things with this engine really!

I guess it's really a case of get to it and try to get to bottom of it! Thanks for the replies really appreciate it.. Btw enjoyed the thread on your E39, lovely car and nice work!

I guess it's really a case of get to it and try to get to bottom of it! Thanks for the replies really appreciate it.. Btw enjoyed the thread on your E39, lovely car and nice work!

Cheers man, few more bits to go yet, good luck with yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You sure there are no leaks?

Bought my M54 2.2 knowing it had a leak. Didn't bother me, just kept topping it up. Until the leak was getting worse and worse. Then I had it examined and the oil filter housing replaced. The old one was so brittle it just turned to crumbs in my hand!

Problem sorted since then, car does not use or leak any oil and it is 13 years old. Not so sure where the engine got a reputation for burning oil. Maybe old + neglected + trashed engines most of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry, I meant the gasket. Part was €7 incl. VAT in Frank Keane BMW. As always they are so professional in there they treat you with the same regard as someone buying a 200k BMW 760iL :)

Hi Unkel, I have a feeling that it's rings, she's blowing oil out the exhaust.. If can get a recon bottom end I'd go that route.. I'm a bit surprised as it has a full service history with the car..

Hi Unkel, I have a feeling that it's rings, she's blowing oil out the exhaust.. If can get a recon bottom end I'd go that route.. I'm a bit surprised as it has a full service history with the car..

I am both surprised and sad I guessed right, if I were replacing it I'd put a 2.5 lump in to be honest.

I am both surprised and sad I guessed right, if I were replacing it I'd put a 2.5 lump in to be honest.

Me to Foxhole Norman..

I'm actually toying with that idea, do you know is there much to change for that? Next thing is to trace one..

It's a really clean 03 m sport auto so would be a shame to abandon it over an engine..

• Advertisement

Me to Foxhole Norman..

I'm actually toying with that idea, do you know is there much to change for that? Next thing is to trace one..

It's a really clean 03 m sport auto so would be a shame to abandon it over an engine..

Pretty sure they're a straight swap, even using the old ECU, might have to check gearbox ratios.

Me to Foxhole Norman..

Pretty sure they're a straight swap, even using the old ECU, might have to check gearbox ratios.
    Yeah will need to do some research, was thinking of maybe try and find a 525 base model and use as a donor car, biggest challenge is to get one with a good engine..

Yeah will need to do some research, was thinking of maybe try and find a 525 base model and use as a donor car, biggest challenge is to get one with a good engine..

There's a complete 525i for sale down here in Cork for 500!

Is it your own car? Any idea on Milage on it?!

Sorry ment as in a spare car you got not the black beauty!

Not mine, but here it is! 91K Miles

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525i-e39/12736951

Not mine, but here it is! 91K Miles

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-525i-e39/12736951

Thanks Foxhole
    Will give them a call in a while and see what I think!

Advertisement