Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat killed by car

• 17-08-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm so very upset writing this. My lovely cat of just over a year, was hit by a car and died today. The worse thing is I saw the car, and they just drove off. I placed my cat in my front garden, off the road and my boyfriend and I went driving to see where the car went.

I asked a "neighbour" down the road who had an identical blue micra was she out at all. I was not aggressive or confrontational at all, I was simply asking about the car. I didn't mention about my cat, and straight away she was defensive, aggressive. I just left it but I know it is her.

It just makes me feel so sick that a person can hit an animal and leave it for dead. I wish she just stopped and at least said sorry.....

I already brought him to the vet to be cremated :/

I guess I'm just writing this to vent....I'm devastated really, he was my baby...... is there anything I can do at all?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Ah I'm so sorry to read that, thats a terrible thing to happen:( Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Thank you :) I guess I'll be ok eventually, my other kitten is looking after me. Just can't believe someone can leave an animal suffering.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Did the cat run out under the car or did they swerve to hit it?

Not sure, I didn't see when it happened. Just saw him on road as we were pulling out of driveway, but it definitely was the car I saw that he was hit by/ or he hit. My point is really that she could have stopped and see were we/ cat ok..... she did see us at the gate of my house. Think she just drove off without care. She was very defensive about it. I didn't accuse her of anything, I was only asking.

I know there's not much can be done, according to the vet. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Sorry to hear about your cat. I would definitely have stopped to check the cat. It is not the womans fault though if the cat was on the road so there is not much you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

So sorry about your cat. I know I would have to restrain myself very very hard not to do something I might regret to that .... !!
    Take care. Losing a companion like that hurts like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I asked a "neighbour" down the road who had an identical blue micra was she out at all. I was not aggressive or confrontational at all, I was simply asking about the car. I didn't mention about my cat, and straight away she was defensive, aggressive. I just left it but I know it is her.

Sorry for you cat.

Right technically nothing to be done about it. It's your responsibility to keep you animal secured and safe.

Really if any damage happened car you are liable to pay for it.

You definitely have no right to go to neighbour.

I get your frustration it's something we all go through eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Not sure, I didn't see when it happened. Just saw him on road as we were pulling out of driveway

Seriously??
    I understand you are upset but you saw your cat on the road and you are angry at someone else?

Hold your horses, please. The OP is upset at the death of her cat. And that someone would run over / hit the cat and leave it there to die without trying at least to help.

Seriously??
    I understand you are upset but you saw your cat on the road and you are angry at someone else?

You make it sound like a went straight after. I didn't. I was with my cat for a good while, crying on the road. Course I was angry someone killed my cat....

Please don't post if you're just trying to get at me. I'm upset and I posted mainly to let it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

morgana wrote: »
    So sorry about your cat. I know I would have to restrain myself very very hard not to do something I might regret to that .... !!
    Take care. Losing a companion like that hurts like hell.
    What would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm so sorry, OP - this is a terrible thing to happen. And I agree, it disgusts me that people give so little worth to animals they can seemingly drive on with no concern at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sorry to hear about this OP. Just curious though how you saw the blue car driving off if you didn't see the incident happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Op I'm so so sorry for your loss, I hope your coming to terms with it today and minding yourself.

It's possible the neighbor didn't even realise what had happened, if someone who was obviously upset came to my house and started asking strange questions about if I'd been driving that day I'd be uneasy and defensive too. For your own peace of mind it'd better to think it was a terrible accident rather than dwelling and apportioning blame.

Be kind to yourself and remember the little one the way they should be remembered not with anger x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

If you know who did it you really should call up and offer to pay for any damage caused to thier car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Smondie wrote: »
    If you know who did it you really should call up and offer to pay for any damage caused to thier car.

Hang on a second. If somewhere ran over and killed my cat, the last thing I would be doing is offering to pay for any damage to their car.
    I'd be ****ing fuming at them, and I don't think I could restrain myself, especially after a hit and run.

Hang on a second. If somewhere ran over and killed my cat, the last thing I would be doing is offering to pay for any damage to their car.
    I'd be ****ing fuming at them, and I don't think I could restrain myself, especially after a hit and run.

Well as an animal owner it would be your responsibility to keep your animal under control and you would be liable for damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Isn't it possible that the driver didn't realise they had ran over the cat, and also possible that there was zero damage to the car anyway?

Well as an animal owner it would be your responsibility to keep your animal under control and you would be liable for damages.

I'd like to see them try and get a red cent off me. it wouldn't happen.

Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013

Duty to protect animal welfare

If you own an animal you are responsible for it. You have a duty to protect its welfare. You must take all necessary steps to ensure that an animal is kept and treated in a manner which safeguards its health and welfare. You also have a responsibility to ensure the animal is kept in an environment that does not threaten its health and welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Well the law is on their side so in theory they could involve the gardai. It's up to you to control your animal.
    In the case of a cat it's unlikely but dog owners have had to pay out for broken windscreens, damaged bonnets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The people who are posting on her to get a dig into the OP should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

How disgusting an individual must you be to take the opportunity of grief for a lost pet to get an anonymous dig in at someone on an internet forum.

OP - Im so so sorry about your cat. I hope you are ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

They would get money from you whether you give it or they take you to court. It's your animal you keep it off the road. It's like a child you don't let them wander on the road because they don't know any better. Most animals are the same. Granted some are smart and trained.

Obviously if you hit a child last thing you'd be looking for is compensation for damages on your car. But if I was driving and your dog or cat came out onto the road I wouldn't be asking for money straight away I'd let you get over the initial shock and bring it up a couple of days later if I knew you.

Dunno why from the op that the girl drove away though. I find that scummy. Deal with it if the accident arises don't run away. God forbid she does it on another person

Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013

Duty to protect animal welfare

If you own an animal you are responsible for it. You have a duty to protect its welfare. You must take all necessary steps to ensure that an animal is kept and treated in a manner which safeguards its health and welfare. You also have a responsibility to ensure the animal is kept in an environment that does not threaten its health and welfare.

My cats are feed. My cats have multiple beds. We don't to to bed until our cats are in the house. The cats in my house are idolised. They come home when there name is called. They couldn't be looked after better.

If someone ran over them and damaged their car, it's on them. I wouldn't give a flying **** out it. I'm sorry but I couldn't be amicable to someone who ran over my car and drove off.

I get that it happens, that there is always a chance your car can be run over, but don't drive off, and leave the animal on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Smondie, why would you make this comment?:confused: What is wrong with you? You are pathetic.

OP, I have a cat myself and I can't imagine going through what you have. Can't understand why someone would drive off like that. Of course the more defensive, the more guilty. Sorry to hear about your cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Sigh... Sorry for your loss OP.

As for the person giving out to you about not offering to pay for damage to the car (not sure why they assume you wouldn't have done that), well all I'll say is it would be incredibly strange to offer to pay to for damages on the car of someone who hasn't stated that they hit your cat....

"Oh right so you didn't hit my cat then? On an unrelated note, are there any damages to your car you'd like me to take care of?"

People on this site make me wonder sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭rock22

As a motorcyclist i have been seriously injured, and my motorcycle damaged, because a pet ran out onto the road.
    Sad the cat died, but the fault lies completely with the owner. I would hope she would apologise to the car driver and see if any damage was done. I imagine the car driver was probably shocked at what happened too.

Shop40 wrote: »
    Smondie, why would you make this comment?:confused: What is wrong with you? You are pathetic.

read the legislation and get back to me

If the OP lives in a built up area, nobody should be driving fast enough to kill a cat.

• Advertisement

If the OP lives in a built up area, nobody should be driving fast enough to kill a cat.

Really, what speed should they drive at 2mph? In case you haven't noticed cats are fairly low to the ground and can run which could easily mean they would be out of the drivers vision, the cat was hardly standing at the side of the road waiting to cross as the driver approached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Hi op. Sorry about your cat.

However, as a car owner if I hit a cat, rabbit or bird I'd be very unlikely to stop. To me, I'd already be annoyed enough of potential damage or cleaning without being further inconvenienced. I wouldn't stop to apologise, or take the animal to the owner or a vet. If i knew the owner i might try to make contact as a courtesy.

That's not a dig by the way. I just don't see why i would want to make it my problem.
    I think cat owners are generally more considerate than dog owners, but left to their own devices cats can cause traffic accidents, hunt native birds and animals and make horrible noises at night when fighting or mating. You really need to be careful letting them outside.

Sorry OP, you've come to the wrong place to get advice. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Sorry for your loss OP.
    I have killed (accidently) 3 cats in the last 20 years in 3 different cars first 2 times no damage to car but cats just run out from hedges and bushes (rural area) straight under the car, totally unavoidable, you kinda know by the thump and subsequent other noises that the cat would be unlikely to survive, the 3rd cat ran out on a main road right under my 3 series vert and damaged the grill and front lip of bumper cost me nearly €400 to get fixed. I feel terrible when that happens and over the years at least 2 of our cats have been killed by cars and at least 3 of them were poisoned (poxy farmers and their illegal poison) several have lived long and happy lives, some never had an issue others have been through the mill ( knocked down but survived, bad fights etc). I can understand your pain, you will get over it, it is very difficult to control where a cat goes much easier to control a dogs movements. anyhow at the minute we have 2 house cats and four outdoor cats, all 4 outdoor have just appeared at the house over the years, at least 2 are feral but they hang around and get fed everyday and have even got used to our 2 dogs.
    Yes you would be liable for any damage to someones vehicle as it was your animal, but that is not really relevant here, if that woman comes back and says "your cat damaged my car" just tell her it was not your cat, me personally even if I knew who owned the cat that caused the damage to my car i would not ask them to pay for the damages, A dog would be a whole different story. Your pets are going to die at some stage it is just something we all have to learn to deal with :(

Sorry for your loss OP.
    I have killed (accidently) 3 cats in the last 20 years in 3 different cars first 2 times no damage to car but cats just run out from hedges and bushes (rural area) straight under the car, totally unavoidable, you kinda know by the thump and subsequent other noises that the cat would be unlikely to survive, the 3rd cat ran out on a main road right under my 3 series vert and damaged the grill and front lip of bumper cost me nearly €400 to get fixed. I feel terrible when that happens and over the years at least 2 of our cats have been killed by cars and at least 3 of them were poisoned (poxy farmers and their illegal poison) several have lived long and happy lives, some never had an issue others have been through the mill ( knocked down but survived, bad fights etc). I can understand your pain, you will get over it, it is very difficult to control where a cat goes much easier to control a dogs movements. anyhow at the minute we have 2 house cats and four outdoor cats, all 4 outdoor have just appeared at the house over the years, at least 2 are feral but they hang around and get fed everyday and have even got used to our 2 dogs.
    Yes you would be liable for any damage to someones vehicle as it was your animal, but that is not really relevant here, if that woman comes back and says "your cat damaged my car" just tell her it was not your cat, me personally even if I knew who owned the cat that caused the damage to my car i would not ask them to pay for the damages, A dog would be a whole different story. Your pets are going to die at some stage it is just something we all have to learn to deal with :(

What illegal poison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Sorry OP, you've come to the wrong place to get advice. All the best.

There is no real advice that can be given other than condolenses expressed to the OP.

It really sucks when a beloved pet meets its end in the manner of the OPs cat but although posters advising on payment and fault are a little bit insensitive they are correct in the eyes of the law.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What illegal poison?

I cannot remember the name of it, but it will come to me. I will post here when I remember. Some of our non farming neighbours dogs were also killed by this poison (few years back) confirmed by the vet. I just remember him telling me it was banned and that farmers used to use it ( when it was allowed) and since it was banned some still obviously had stock and continued to use it, probably for foxes or rats or whatever farmers feel they need to control (pests)?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What illegal poison?

Strychnine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Jez the poor OP just lost her cat in a horrible way. I am sure she is upset enough without reading the posts here. Not everyone is aware of the laws but there was no mention of any car damage so all this probably does not apply anyway.

I hope you are doing ok OP.

I cant even read most of these posts as people are being cruel. My cat is dead and I'm trying to come to terms.

I don't really care about this law or whatever, at the end of the day a person hit and left an animal to die on the road. I would never pay out for damage as the damage caused to me is greater than a stupid micra....

Mods can close this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

There's a bereavement forum in personal issues. It might be a more sympathetic place
    http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1363

• Advertisement

Thanks for everyone who is being nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Thanks for everyone who is being nice

OP- sorry that you have to suffer trolls/heartless people kicking you when you're down. I have 1 cat, 2 foster cats and 4 remaining kittens. If this happened to me, I would have the same reaction as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP - first off I'm sorry for your loss. And I'm sorry that whoever did it didn't stop but they may not have known to be fair to them. I know someone that happened to (cat in their neighborhood) they didn't hear a noise or anything and it was only afterwards that it came out what happened. They were sorry about it then so maybe approach your neighbor again & ask if they saw anything as your cat was hit and you were wondering if they were out and could help.

I know the law is technically that they could claim damages but I think very few people would do this.

If they did think they hit something though, and didn't stop, I think that is pretty low. I'm not the biggest fan of cats at all but I did have an incident where one darted out in front of my car. I thought I could have hit it, so despite it being morning rush hour, I pulled in as soon as I could to check. Luckily I hadn't but I'm glad I stopped to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I find some of the comments here sickening. Don't mind them OP, maybe todays full moon is getting to them.

I wouldn't even make excuses for those insensitive and totally unnecessary comments. We are talking about someone who lost a beloved pet and another who left an animal to die regardless of circumstances. Nothing else to say.
    Stay cool OP and look after yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

sorry to hear of your loss op

really the driver should have stopped to check but as some said maybe they didnt know.

People saying the should "contact the owner and ask to pay for damages" " animals are like children, you need to control them" so if a child ran or fell out onto a road and got hit by a car should the parent ask to pay for the damage as they should be in control of their child?

Pets are like children to some people and the loss of them effects them like the loss of a child, no only did someome kill her cat they didnt stop to see if it was ok, this is whats effecting the op the most, the fact that this person doesnt care.

op hope you get some sort of closure

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some people don't seem to care about the suffering they cause others, be those 'others' humans or animals, and that says a lot about the kind of people they are. I'm so sorry to hear about your poor kitty, OP., losing a beloved pet is always devastating, whatever the circumstances. Hugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭GBX

sorry to hear of your loss op

really the driver should have stopped to check but as some said maybe they didnt know.

People saying the should "contact the owner and ask to pay for damages" " animals are like children, you need to control them" so if a child ran or fell out onto a road and got hit by a car should the parent ask to pay for the damage as they should be in control of their child?

Pets are like children to some people and the loss of them effects them like the loss of a child, no only did someome kill her cat they didnt stop to see if it was ok, this is whats effecting the op the most, the fact that this person doesnt care.

op hope you get some sort of closure

Sorry for your loss OP.

Contradicting yourself there lifeandtimes. :rolleyes: As you and others have said - the driver may not have known they hit the cat. As the OP said, they couldn't tell if the driver was aware of the incident. Suggesting they intently killed the cat and drove on without a care is unfounded.

maggiepip wrote: »
    I find some of the comments here sickening. Don't mind them OP, maybe todays full moon is getting to them.
    I guess that is the thing about a public forum, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

GBX wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss OP.

Contradicting yourself there lifeandtimes. :rolleyes: As you and others have said - the driver may not have known they hit the cat. As the OP said, they couldn't tell if the driver was aware of the incident. Suggesting they intently killed the cat and drove on without a care is unfounded.

Im not contradicting myself, the point im putting across is too the op this person didnt stop and at first glance didnt care that they had killed her cat.

Thats the pain they are going through which i was trying to portray.

It is possible that the person didnt know(althought very unlikly as running over a cat is quite an unexpected bump) but at this point in time the op is suffering and this is what i was explaining

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement