Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap queries

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi folks, looking for rented accommodation in Limerick. Having an issue with finding landlords who'll accept hap. Is it just because they can't be arsed with the paperwork or because half of them are shady and don't want the tax crowd knowing? :) As with so may i'm trying to get sorted for the college term at the start of September.

I'd prefer a one bedroom apt on my own. Trying to avoid 19 year olds in full time party mode! Wouldn't mind sharing a place with one or two who're a bit more mature. I just turned 33. Living in Kerry at the moment which makes things even trickier. Like everyone i'm always on daft but predictably anywhere decent is gone insanely quick. Finding somewhere with internet is a nightmare as well.

Just looking for some tips on other places i could look besides daft and any advice on the hap situation and renting in general. Like most at this part of the year time is against me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Like everyone i'm always on daft but predictably anywhere decent is gone insanely quick.
    I'd say this is the reason. A choice between paperwork and no paperwork, the latter will get picked.

Thus you'll need to pick something that has been on the market a few weeks that the LL will do the extra leg work to get the place rented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Many of the properties available do not meet the minimum standards for rented accommodation and can't be accepted onto HAP or RAS or any other Council or state rental scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 at the gates

Thanks for the replies folks. Places are just flying out the door. If a landlord can get money fast without the slightest bit of hassle the hap situation gets even more difficult.

Is it even possible to find somewhere to rent and live on back to education alone? Pay rent, survive, etc? I know with great difficulty is the obvious answer. Have to consider that as the hap situation is fairly dire.

obviously I'm far from the only one in this situation so if anyone has any more advice/stories about this kind of situation it'd be great to hear em.

In the tenant booklet it says i have to pay a weekly rent contribution to the local authority. Hadn't noticed this. Anybody know how much it is? Assume it's based on how much the rent is? In my case i'd say the monthly rent would be between 500 and 600 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In the tenant booklet it says i have to pay a weekly rent contribution to the local authority. Hadn't noticed this. Anybody know how much it is? Assume it's based on how much the rent is? In my case i'd say the monthly rent would be between 500 and 600 a month.

It's based on your income and is a percentage of the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Is it just because they can't be arsed with the paperwork or because half of them are shady and don't want the tax crowd knowing? :)

Maybe he doesnt want to deal with a tenant with an attitude like that? ie implying that most LLs are shady or tax dodging. I imagine that attitude is coming off when you are speaking to LLs. A majority of Landlords are fully tax compliant. In fact you see far more Doctors and Publicans on Revenue tax defaults lists than LL's.

Im sorry but very few Landlords will choose a tenant on any form of welfare scheme over a professional with a full time job. It has nothing to do with taxes, but dealing with a professional with a steady middle income is far easier than someone on Governmental support.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Maybe he doesnt want to deal with a tenant with an attitude like that? ie implying that most LLs are shady or tax dodging. I imagine that attitude is coming off when you are speaking to LLs. A majority of Landlords are fully tax compliant. In fact you see far more Doctors and Publicans on Revenue tax defaults lists than LL's.

Im sorry but very few Landlords will choose a tenant on any form of welfare scheme over a professional with a full time job. It has nothing to do with taxes, but dealing with a professional with a steady middle income is far easier than someone on Governmental support.

Only joking of course, hence the smiley face. The hap payment is steady. I think someone from housing calls to the property once to check it out a few months down the line. It's just a case of meeting a landlord who's slightly more accommodating than most. Tough ask in today's world unfortunately.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's based on your income and is a percentage of the rent.

Righto, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The cheif stands alone

Hi I have a question... I am homeless I have been homeless 3 years since my property collapsed. I have absolutely no faith in the hap, landlords or dcc. I currently cannot return to work as I live in a low threshold accommodation. Which is a mix between an asylum and a holding cell for mountjoy. For example a person smoking crack climbed into my room last night through my window because they wanted a cigarette and I wouldnt open my door.

The question starts here. I have thousands of applications and hundreds of emails refusing the hap scheme and the simon community & crosscare want me to report these owners to dcc to try get the landlords fined and lose mortgage relief or other benefits. Has anyone heard of these fines? If I did report what would happen? Please excuse my rant below

My belief on this is landlords should refuse homeless people as a high percentage I have met need medical and pyschological help. They shouldnt be punished for being selective with tenants. This homeless crisis is nothing but an empoyment racket to massage the live register and that these charities are gorging on public expenditure. While dcc do what they always do and **** money up the wall. The government is the biggest landlord in the country anyway... #nosnitching or #lynchthelandlords who knows anymore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hi I have a question... I am homeless I have been homeless 3 years since my property collapsed. I have absolutely no faith in the hap, landlords or dcc. I currently cannot return to work as I live in a low threshold accommodation. Which is a mix between an asylum and a holding cell for mountjoy. For example a person smoking crack climbed into my room last night through my window because they wanted a cigarette and I wouldnt open my door.

The question starts here. I have thousands of applications and hundreds of emails refusing the hap scheme and the simon community & crosscare want me to report these owners to dcc to try get the landlords fined and lose mortgage relief or other benefits. Has anyone heard of these fines? If I did report what would happen? Please excuse my rant below

My belief on this is landlords should refuse homeless people as a high percentage I have met need medical and pyschological help. They shouldnt be punished for being selective with tenants. This homeless crisis is nothing but an empoyment racket to massage the live register and that these charities are gorging on public expenditure. While dcc do what they always do and **** money up the wall. The government is the biggest landlord in the country anyway... #nosnitching or #lynchthelandlords who knows anymore...

It's a very difficult one, I agree, there are some genuine landlords out there and there are some ruthless ones, just like in any walk of life I suppose. You make the very valid point that landlords should be allowed to be selective but at the same time if they're not even meeting people because they're on HAP then they are discriminating.

I was previously a landlord, I no longer am because it was too stressful to be honest. I tried to meet everyone who wanted to view the house but at the end of the day you still have to make a judgement call and I don't feel that I'm qualified to do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement