Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best area to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm thinking of moving to Dublin to work and study. I would study part-time in the centre and I'm wondering if it'd be more economic for me to get a job and a room downtown-ish and save on the commute, or rent outside of the city centre. I don't drive so I'd have to use Luas or the buses.

I'm interested in a safe (obviously :D) area where the rent wouldn't be sky high and where there would be a leisure centre or a gym with a swimming pool nearby, and which also would be served by public transport. I was thinking Tallaght but then I hear that Jobstown and these areas are ultra dodgy...

Thanks in advance for advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thing with Dublin is your going to have dody parts close by everywhere, move into a house share in the outskirt of the city centre if that's your fancy, just stay away from council estates.

Check the bus routes of the area to see if it suits your needs for work and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a safe serviced area of dublin without sky high rent doesn't really exist. Anything in an area where you'd be safe to walk alone at night is going to be mad money.

Id suggest sandyford, lucan, leopardstown, rathfarnham, swords . probably about your best compromises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Churchtown, Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Castleknock
    Parts of Bray (Its a very bipolar place)
    Parts of Shankill
    Malahide/Portmarnock
    In and around the Clontarf area.

Bray is quite commutable and with it being outside of Dublin the prices tend to drop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No one can tell you this unless you tell us what you are planning to pay in rent and if you plan to house share or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Baldoyle

Good transport links
    Reasonably prices accommodation
    15-20 minutes to the city
    Close to Howth and Malahide
    Donaghmede, Pavilions and Clare Hall shopping centers all within a 15 minute drive.

Sales Rental

Baldoyle

Good transport links
    Reasonably prices accommodation
    15-20 minutes to the city
    Close to Howth and Malahide
    Donaghmede, Pavilions and Clare Hall shopping centers all within a 15 minute drive.

Sales Rental

Coolock would be better again, once you don't treck into D17 stick with D5 your fine. Coolock has great option of buses.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Coolock would be better again, once you don't treck into D17 stick with D5 your fine. Coolock has great option of buses.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it better, definitely not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pacos207

Balbriggan ticks all the boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Parts of Tallaght are perfectly nice. My fella's brother lives with his family five minutes walk from the Kingswood Luas stop and it's a nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anything south of the square is perfectly fine and is serviced well by public transport.

Again tho, it ain't particularly cheap either. Depends on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 has train line and good bus run into town. The blach shopping centre is like a town of its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In the absence of Markanthony I'll say Kilbarrack :D

athtrasna wrote: »
    In the absence of Markanthony I'll say Kilbarrack :D

He closed his account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

He closed his account.
    I am aware of that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Templeogue,
    Terenure,
    Rathfarnham,
    Harolds Cross
    Walkinstown,
    Perrystown.

Generally quiet and settled areas.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it better, definitely not better.

Explain not better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

These threads are all the same. People think their own back yard is the best place to live and start getting upset when others say their suggestion is a kip :)

Explain not better?

It's not a nice area and I wouldn't feel safe there. I wouldn't walk through coolock during the day, let alone a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ashtown/Royal Canal Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Walkinstown is a good location.close to shops, good bus links and near gym at kcr. It's an easy cycle to town aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know where I would recommend.

I'm not going to say my own area because it's fabulous but not expensive, close to town with a little local shopping area that has a chemist, hairdresser, coffee shop (with seats outside OMG), a fruit and veg shop, a Londis (with wine license yay), and Indian takeaway, and the doctors. Ten minutes walk to the local pub that has great, ahem Gastro Pub Grub all day. And across the road from said pub is a marvellous chipper and a Chinese takeaway for the rare nights I need them.

Oh and there is a bank, and an ATM, and a Lidl and Aldi within five minutes. And a Super Valu too. But they are for the masses including me.

Don't know about schools cos I've no sprogs.

I love it, and I'm keeping it to myself so feck off the lot of ya. LOL.

Do your research, and you might be surprised at the little gems you can find that others might dismiss.

I will be taken out of here in a box for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don't know where I would recommend.

I'm not going to say my own area because it's fabulous but not expensive, close to town with a little local shopping area that has a chemist, hairdresser, coffee shop (with seats outside OMG), a fruit and veg shop, a Londis (with wine license yay), and Indian takeaway, and the doctors. Ten minutes walk to the local pub that has great, ahem Gastro Pub Grub all day. And across the road from said pub is a marvellous chipper and a Chinese takeaway for the rare nights I need them.

Oh and there is a bank, and an ATM, and a Lidl and Aldi within five minutes. And a Super Valu too. But they are for the masses including me.

Don't know about schools cos I've no sprogs.

I love it, and I'm keeping it to myself so feck off the lot of ya. LOL.

Do your research, and you might be surprised at the little gems you can find that others might dismiss.

I will be taken out of here in a box for sure.

You could be talking about Meakstown (North Finglas).
    But your 100% correct. It's all relative and pockets of gems in every location. You can just as easily be mugged in bray/shankill as you could in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

He closed his account.

How come - does anyone know?

I'll sort of miss his non stop advocacy for Kilbarrack :cool:

maximum12 wrote: »
    These threads are all the same. People think their own back yard is the best place to live and start getting upset when others say their suggestion is a kip :)

And without knowing the OPs budget it's all pretty much a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bellissima

Clondalkin Village is still fairly unspoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

It's not a nice area and I wouldn't feel safe there. I wouldn't walk through coolock during the day, let alone a night.

Now that is a truly astonishing statement. Perhaps there are two Coolocks. Or you're walking through somewhere that you assume is Coolock, but in fact is a different area , albeit maybe not too far away.

Try walking from Cadburys, through Coolock village, onto the Malahide Road and choose which side of the road you want to walk. I'd be thoroughly amazed if you encountered anything to worry you. And its less likely during the day.
    Then head down Ardlea Road, or Gracefield Road and once again, I fail to see any area that meets your description.

You need to be careful with sweeping statements like the one above, as you can paint the wrong picture of an area.

Of course, if you know the area as well as your post suggests, you perhaps have had a bad encounter which you have allowed to colour your opinion of the area. However, I feel that's very unlikely. Which leaves that perhaps you have described somewhere outside the area I've referred to, which would probably not really be Coolock.

However, even some of those areas ,while not being aesthetically pleasing, are inhabited in the main by decent people. Would I walk these areas at night? If I really had to, yes for most. Definite no for a couple of others.

Cheers,
    NN

You must have never been, Coolock is fairly big I do agree there is bad spots Priorswood and Darndale being a few but the majority is perfectly fine to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You must have never been, Coolock is fairly big I do agree there is bad spots Priorswood and Darndale being a few but the majority is perfectly fine to live in.

How bad is Darndale ?

• Advertisement

How bad is Darndale ?

Great craic.

Advertisement