Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Reference

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

As most people know, you need references when trying to rent a house from someone

I'm just wondering would it be appropriate to ask the landlord for a reference for himself from work or former tenants? We had a house viewing this evening, and the man seemed very nice but I can't shake the gut feeling there's something dodgy

The price he's asking for the house is right for the area, but he's including esb, broadband and bins in the monthly rent which none of the other places we've viewed do

Would it be totally inappropriate to ask him for a reference, he's asked for them and I'm wondering if this works both ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

It wouldn't be 'inappropriate' but you may lose the house - a good thing if it's a scam, a bad thing if he is just giving you a great deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not the norm. You can ask, but I wouldn't expect him to be forthcoming.

Go with your gut feeling would my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You can ask him. But I imagine he will tell you to PFO. He has the upper hand in the bargaining

if you think he is dodgy, a piece of paper from his work means nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

One possibility is that he doesn't want his bank to know the house is rented. Might be a case of mortgage arrears. Another possibility is that he is subletting and is making a profit from the real landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It wouldn't be 'inappropriate' but you may lose the house - a good thing if it's a scam, a bad thing if he is just giving you a great deal.

I think you're right, was hoping someone would say this

And I also get references can get faked, but if he shot me down straight away it would surely be a sign of fishy intentions

I'd like to think anyone who's decent wouldn't be too insulted to be asked, and afaik we have the house as we're the only group of final year student looking at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Threads

If the landlord is renting the entire house to you- the lekky, tv, broadband etc should all be in YOUR name. The opposite should only apply in shared accomodation.

It's not the norm but it's not unheard of either. I have a friend living in a big house, 7 tenants all together and the LL included broadband, esb, heating and bins in the rent. He also comes in twice a week and cleans the common areas. It's a rooms let seperately scenario though not a full house let.

On the other hand in my houseshare the bills aren't included in the rent but they are in the LL's name, we just open the bills that arrive in his name and pay them in the post office or over the phone. I actually much prefer this to having to put bills in my name which is only hassle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you look up the address on the prtb website you'll see if he is registered, or a search will sometimes show if any cases/awards against him from previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

pc7 wrote: »
    If you look up the address on the prtb website you'll see if he is registered, or a search will sometimes show if any cases/awards against him from previous tenants.

Didn't know you could do that, thanks for that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You'll find the list of registered tenancies here https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx (it can be out of date at times). But if you google his name and prtb, or name and address you might find any awards/cases against him. We did this when our neighbour rented their house to some seriously dodgy people. We managed to track him down this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

You could ask former tenants for references. I'm not sure how you'll go about contacting them, the landlord may not be in a position to supply thier current contact details.

The landlords place of work is nothing really to do with you and i wouldn't be suprised if he told you to pfo.

If you feel it is dodgy, let it go and look else where. While some bills can be included in rent, they are usually ones that don't change month on month. Esb would be unusual. Have you asked the landlord why they are inclusive and if he will allow them to be changed in to tenants names?

Advertisement