Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with battery terminals

Options
  • 17-08-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have a small Kubota garden tractor which I replaced the battery terminals on recently . The old lead ones were cracked and worn so I took them off and replaced them with new ones. However the problem is I'm getting no power to the ignition , I turn the key and nothing happens at all .It's probably something very simple but I can't understand why I'm getting no power .

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bad connection. Get a multimeter and check what voltage the battery is producing, and then check the cables and back to ignition.
    They are a simple system so you don't have much to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SilverMan101

I eventually found the problem . It was 40 amp ignition fuse that was blown , it took a good while to find as it was covered up with insulating tape . However the engine is struggling to start , it just about turns over and then fades out and stops. Plenty of white smoke from the exhaust , it's been lying up outside for about 3 months. Any Ideas ? I don't want to burn the starter out , starting it over and over ..

thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Figerty

Did you put fuel in it! Silly question I know, but you can get so hung up on one problem you miss the obvious!
    Is the battery charged enough?
    Is the stopper in?

Plenty of fuel in it , fully charged . It will just about start but cuts out about 30 seconds later , seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel but i'll keep working on it. I think it's just something very simple .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Figerty

Plenty of fuel in it , fully charged . It will just about start but cuts out about 30 seconds later , seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel but i'll keep working on it. I think it's just something very simple .

Yep, sounds like fuel starvation. You may have to clear the filters and fuel lines to make sure that isn't the problem. Happened me lately on a tractor, Had to sort out seal on the fuel pump.. when all that was done it wouldn't start. during the drain down dirt had got sucked onto the tank fuel filter.

Petrol or Diesel?

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    Yep, sounds like fuel starvation. You may have to clear the filters and fuel lines to make sure that isn't the problem. Happened me lately on a tractor, Had to sort out seal on the fuel pump.. when all that was done it wouldn't start. during the drain down dirt had got sucked onto the tank fuel filter.

Petrol or Diesel?

It's a small diesel engine. Finally got it running , fuel filter was blocked up with dirt and sediment so replaced it and gave the fuel lines a clean out , took a while to figure out how to release the airlock but eventually got it running perfect. Starts on the button now :)

Plenty learnt over the last week trying to get it going , just need plenty of patience.

Advertisement