Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus company policy...

• 17-08-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I have been a bus driver for 40 years, recently retired.

One interview I had for a job for Northampton City buses in the UK in the 80's, the interviewer asked me what I would do if I got back from my last trip late at night and there was a young girl in the bus station in distress and crying because she had missed her last bus home?

I suggested to help her find a taxi to take her home, but the manager said that in his company, you put her on your bus and drive her home and claim the pay for working overtime.

I wonder if such an enlightened policy would exist in today's public transport systems...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If you're going to bring an unknown female anywhere, the first thing to do is find a witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If you're going to bring an unknown female anywhere, the first thing to do is find a witness.
    The CCTV on the bus should protect both passenger and driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Nomis21 wrote: »

I wonder if such an enlightened policy would exist in today's public transport systems...?

No chance. In my job you need 2-3 others with you just in case some nutter claims something.

Its why you see people ignoring lost children as they are scared they will be called a child abductor or Pedo if they try to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Well yes, things seemed to have changed since the eighties...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I have been a bus driver for 40 years, recently retired.

One interview I had for a job for Northampton City buses in the UK in the 80's, the interviewer asked me what I would do if I got back from my last trip late at night and there was a young girl in the bus station in distress and crying because she had missed her last bus home?

I suggested to help her find a taxi to take her home, but the manager said that in his company, you put her on your bus and drive her home and claim the pay for working overtime.

I wouldn't discuss current policy of any Irish operator here as public knowledge would only lead to people not in need taking advantage.

Safe to say that that taking a bus for an unauthorised trip would be something you would end up having a chat with a manager for doing.

In reality a lot is left up to the individual driver to decide, particularly late at night when no supervisor is available to report to or authorise anything.

I have done some things off book on occasion but it is always a judgement call each way. Leaving someone stranded especially a vulnerable person is a red flag but sometimes can't be helped. There is no one solution fit all answer to situations that a driver will be placed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its why you see people ignoring lost children as they are scared they will be called a child abductor or Pedo if they try to help.

+1 it happened in the UK a few years ago. A child wandered out of a creche on to a busy road, was run over and killed by a car. A van driver later admitted that he passed by a few minutes earlier, had seen the child but was afraid to do anything for fear he would be accused of child abduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Employers are utterly in love with these amateur attempts at psycho analysing potential staff. Believe it or not m&s has screening questions (yes, to pack shelves ) inc one nearly identical to that one.

They're utter nonsense and don't help pluck out better staff they just make the HR guy think his jobs far more sophisticated and complex than what it really is : a glorified principals office to take "bold" staff to so they can be told off while pretending to be some sort of neutral ground between staff and management. I worked in retail since I was 10 and knew it back to front and I failed the m&s screening. When someone told me the right answers they made no logical sense, at least the bus one there kinda does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Employers are utterly in love with these amateur attempts at psycho analysing potential staff. Believe it or not m&s has screening questions (yes, to pack shelves ) inc one nearly identical to that one.

They're utter nonsense and don't help pluck out better staff they just make the HR guy think his jobs far more sophisticated and complex than what it really is : a glorified principals office to take "bold" staff to so they can be told off while pretending to be some sort of neutral ground between staff and management. I worked in retail since I was 10 and knew it back to front and I failed the m&s screening. When someone told me the right answers they made no logical sense, at least the bus one there kinda does.

For fear of derailing the thread and bring hauled into the principals office...pm me the answer please:)

Advertisement